Shops profiteering during CNY?

KARTer

Example:

Bak Guah prices go up about 2-3 times compared with normal days?

Fried kuay teow becomes $5 a plate (normal price about $3)?

No doubt workers have to be paid OT/double-pay to run the shops during CNY, but price of Bak Gua has gone up 2-3 weeks before CNY capitalising on local chinese's 'lust' for the bbq meat during CNY.

We can say willing-buyer/seller, but not everyone can afford this traditional CNY food. I am thinking of the low income families/kids who may be deprived of the traditional food soon if the price goes up every year. (Ok, maybe its none of my business)

Its ok to up the prices for food etc during festive seasons, but 2-3 times more than normal may just be too much (not a problem for the rich, but we still have low income groups around us). Bak Gua sellers are not poor people (some are rich in fact)

Maybe NTUC should step in and start selling Bak Gua and price it lower than the popular shops to stablise the price?

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement

Demand n supply

Nothing wrong ma

Juz like if shortage of rice etc, pricr sure up

If wan cheap, last min shopping for the goodies sure cheap

Supply ---- Greedy sellers

Demand ----- ______ buyers?? :D

Wanted to buy pussy willow on the day before first day of CNY. Shops adamant to charge $12 for a bundle.

The next morning I passed by the shop, it was shuttered up as you would expect but the unsold pussy willow was just dumped outside the shop, free for anyone to take.

For many CNY goods, it is only worth money before the day. After that, worthless. Shops need to build the cost of unsold goods into the asking price.

If die die must have luxury like bak kua, can always stock up well before the peak - keep in fridge and "defrost"/heat up only when makaning. Anyway, BK can't keep for long in our climate (at most 5 days if properly packed). Those that can be kept for long period in the open, please avoid them (probably over dosed with preservatives).

Neutral Newbie

Same as buying rose on valentines day.

Don't join the crowd and you don't need to pay double.

These stuffs have no intrinsic value. It's just boosted up on certain days where businesses cash in.

Example:

Bak Guah prices go up about 2-3 times compared with normal days?

Fried kuay teow becomes $5 a plate (normal price about $3)?

No doubt workers have to be paid OT/double-pay to run the shops during CNY, but price of Bak Gua has gone up 2-3 weeks before CNY capitalising on local chinese's 'lust' for the bbq meat during CNY.

We can say willing-buyer/seller, but not everyone can afford this traditional CNY food. I am thinking of the low income families/kids who may be deprived of the traditional food soon if the price goes up every year. (Ok, maybe its none of my business)

Its ok to up the prices for food etc during festive seasons, but 2-3 times more than normal may just be too much (not a problem for the rich, but we still have low income groups around us). Bak Gua sellers are not poor people (some are rich in fact)

Maybe NTUC should step in and start selling Bak Gua and price it lower than the popular shops to stablise the price?

low income families can choose not to eat bak gua during this period. the quality is the worst also as i notice many bak gwa are filled w white fats to increase weight.

in the first place, BG is a wants, not a need. same for abalone concept.

those who cant afford the increased in food price can stick with maggie mee, eat normal plain rice with some canned food or even go fastfood where the price is the same as normal days.

Edited by Babyt

Everything go up today. A cup of Teh O cost 80 cents today become 90 cents. A plate of Zi Char cost $4.50 today become $5.00. WTF. Everyone take advantage of CNY to jack up prices. Can see only Zi Char business thriving where other stalls are closed. WTF. [thumbsdown]

Bak gua can understand, they make their profit around the month of CNY for the whole year, just like mooncake.

Edited by Jman888

low income families can choose not to eat bak gua during this period. the quality is the worst also as i notice many bak gwa are filled w white fats to increase weight.

in the first place, BG is a wants, not a need. same for abalone concept.

those who cant afford the increased in food price can stick with maggie mee, eat normal plain rice with some canned food or even go fastfood where the price is the same as normal days.

Not saying poor kids must eat bak gua everyday of the years, but once a year surely is not too much to ask for as part of the tradition. if the society continue to adopt an elitist mindset: if you poor, no traditional food etc etc. good luck to the society

Same as buying rose on valentines day.

Don't join the crowd and you don't need to pay double.

These stuffs have no intrinsic value. It's just boosted up on certain days where businesses cash in.

actually for chinese tradition, valentine not counted :D

Bak gua increase 2-3 times is too exaggerating, if $50 now mean $15-$25 on normal day??

I see the most increase $10-$12.

LCH i observe that on normal days is retailing for $45~48/kg for slice pork BK and this rises to about $50~55/kg during CNY.

Welcome to capitalism. On regular days other dan CNY who buys bak kua? They have to cover their losses what. Since when do you see prices come down or remain stagnant one? TS can always open shop sell bak kua below market price.

Rental confirm went up before CNY, transport costs no need to say. Just look around prices of most things went up cos running cost went up which is also known as inflation. Duh.

↡ Advertisement