PM Lee does not see children joining politics

Vega

Turbocharged

Lets wait and see. [:p]

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the son of Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew, said Thursday that he does not think that his children will enter politics.

"They will have to decide but if you ask me now I think the odds are not on it," he told the Davos meeting of business and political elite.

"It's a different generation, it's a new world, there are so many opportunities in Singapore," said Lee.

Lee, who has four children, took office as the island state's third prime minister in 2004.

His father led Singapore to political independence and economic prosperity during a 31-year run until 1990 as prime minister, and remained in cabinet under his son until last year.

Asked what it was like living under his father's shadow, Lee said: "Well, I don't know. I've never not had it. It's tough enough, but you have to live with it."

Lee said his illustrious father "had expectations, but he left me to do my own thing. He did not push me into this, and neither would it have worked had he done so."

The elder Lee announced his departure from cabinet shortly after the ruling People's Action Party polled its worst results in the 2011 elections.

The party lost an unprecedented six seats out of the 87 at stake and its share of the vote fell to an all-time low of 60 percent from nearly 67 percent in the previous election in 2006.

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/regional/articl...umentid=5810988

↡ Advertisement

He realises his son(s) will be subject to much more public scrutiny compared with his time as son of the old man....

Lets wait and see. [:p]

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the son of Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew, said Thursday that he does not think that his children will enter politics.

"They will have to decide but if you ask me now I think the odds are not on it," he told the Davos meeting of business and political elite.

"It's a different generation, it's a new world, there are so many opportunities in Singapore," said Lee.

Lee, who has four children, took office as the island state's third prime minister in 2004.

His father led Singapore to political independence and economic prosperity during a 31-year run until 1990 as prime minister, and remained in cabinet under his son until last year.

Asked what it was like living under his father's shadow, Lee said: "Well, I don't know. I've never not had it. It's tough enough, but you have to live with it."

Lee said his illustrious father "had expectations, but he left me to do my own thing. He did not push me into this, and neither would it have worked had he done so."

The elder Lee announced his departure from cabinet shortly after the ruling People's Action Party polled its worst results in the 2011 elections.

The party lost an unprecedented six seats out of the 87 at stake and its share of the vote fell to an all-time low of 60 percent from nearly 67 percent in the previous election in 2006.

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/regional/articl...umentid=5810988

u really think cLown prince got so much suppork for his sons to enter easily politics like him?

anyway,cLown prince and their imperial family members all already have hundreds of million assets & cash for their future generations.

ppl say clown prince most lao lan son went to OCS because his lao pei is clown prince.must die die give his lao lan son a occifer rank.

Edited by Unidentified

No nid be in politics to wield power and big bucks. See Temasek CEO, was on e top few most powerful woman in asia.

Also u realize he never say his brother's sons not joining politics hor, as far as I noe the best debater award belongs to li yang wu who is LHY's son, dat one likely join politics since he tink he can out talk anybody

Neutral Newbie

His family earned enough over the years liao for the sons to do nothing also dun need to worry about anything, why have them join politics, then have to subject his family to more public scrutiny? He also realise his family brand of politics is getting more irrelevant in this day and age, so might as well ask his sons do something else.