Just killed my car

Genie47

since ur aveo is banged up, shld park it like 1cm next to the driver's door of those parking idiots who can't park within their lot.

after reading your trauma with the car.

i think you should pour some kerosene on it and do some bonfire for the car's last journey.

It got some soul. It fights back. Of the two cars I had, once when there is intention to give them up to the wreckers, both of them bit me back in retaliation.

First one had the A/C quit in a spectacular fashion spewing out the gas like a NOS dump. Nearly suffocated me.

This one is small little bites that made life pretty inconvenient.

When it quit that Sat and the following week before CNY, I called HDB to cancel my parking thinking of laying in the workshop as a PR until after CNY. Immediately after that, mechanic called and said it was alive. Guess it wants to spend its last CNY with the family. The girls have grown up and are not taking it to preschool anymore guess it feels sad that way.

So just before CNY, was paying parking by parking coupons which I religiously tore the chads daily until today. Had to park cheap too. Did so at the Park and Ride next to the MRT station which gave me 7-9 parking for $3 daily.

Most likely not. Big scratch mark on the bonnet courtesy of some 4sshole which I think I offended. Didn't even get it patched up and painted. Was from 2008. Last year, I chiong head in to a parking lot that some slow SOB was trying to reverse park at West Coast McD's. Came out the boot lid was all scratched up. Didn't give a flying f*** to it.

Car when it was sent for wrecking was not washed for 7 months since Jun of last year when I returned from a USA trip.

Electricals are failing and the damn car quit on me the Sat before CNY. Got it towed away and then the mechanic said she started without a hitch.

I don't want to sell this car down the river to an unfortunate fella who don't know how to deal with it. Highly likely she will be exported if I were to sell to used car dealer. That I know for sure but I'm not patient about this. Did get a quote and it is around 200 bucks for the body. I got 100 from the wreckers.

Bro I remember you did a lot of DIY maintenance on this car.

That is quite a mileage for a 7 plus year old car.

It had to justify its existence. It was the family taxi. It had to be used as a taxi. The grocery cart and recreational vehicle at the same time. So it went to Malaysia. It went everywhere but it didn't fulfill the dream of crossing the Thai border.

The only flattering pictures of it was when it was under a shade of trees of Cherating and next to Tg Punggai. The Road Trip still had its pictures I think. That was 2004. The photos are more like those car brochure types. [laugh]

If not for the CNG which I got early in 2006, it would cost a lot to run during the years from 2006-now. Petrol prices rocketed up but I was able to maintain such high mileage with a $200/month on fuel and this was not from getting CNG from Malaysia. Well actually I did until the Mandai station opened.

Now the gahment put up duty on the CNG and the 3/4 tank CNG rule also. No point lah.

Goodbye SFJ230D. Life was good with you but things are getting expensive. Have to let you go.

BTW, at the Sg Kadut scrapyard (HLL), there was a Mazda Protege. SDx plate. Very close to 10yrs. HLL gave the owner $100 as well for the body.

Genie,

I think you make the right choice sending it to scrap due to the electronics issue. It's tricky to solve plus not worth putting money in for a GM parts car. I know this cos i spend 10K in maintaining a GM Daewoo Espero thru its 10 years.

If you do go another car and for another korean, a B&B Hyundai is quite hardy so far - or so it seems with my Accent 1.3M. Just underpowered but still going after being 7 plus years with just over 200K km.

Cheers and Happy Chinese New Year!

Edited by Hjteo

Sad ah.. Anyway dealer would touch up all the defects u mentioned b4 trying to sell it off. Juz pity the next owner gettin it.

My cousin 7yr+ matrix got $200 for body value i tink.

Dats y now i dun even bother wash/polish car of add more accessories.

Juz the basic mtce & repair what is needed.

End of day, car almost worthless..

2004 Aveo. Was given $100 for it. But the rebate at this time which is just before it is 8yrs old is pretty OK for the mileage I have clocked. 239,737 km.

i still remember you made a trip to east coast

n Kuantan when the Aveo was very new. :D

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for sharing bro. Your info is most helpful. By the way, I though a car's body can fetch you more than the few hundred of dollars? I wonder how much can a 10-yr old merc or bmw body fetch when scrapping. Any idea folks?

Edited by Tzehou

Genie,

can share with me the process on how to scrap the car ourselves and how to get a quote for the car? and how to identify which company scrap cars...

my car COE expire in 6 months..... and i doubt it will drop low enough for me to renew [bigcry]

[bigcry] i feel for you. nice honda accord. I left 3 years with my galant, have to cherish every moment with it cos its most probably gonna end up the same route when coe expires [dead]

Genie,

I am told I am one of the few pp to walk into showroom to buy a car with scrap paper in hand. I scrapped a 10 year old car, Mitsubishi Lancer (aka proton saga) at National Steel in 1998 - could not decide what to get, so scrap first. had to leave my wife at the guard house - can only enter with 1 I/C. The salesman got a shock when he saw the scrap paper (with some value) in my hand.

All I can say is, pp mistake cars for their values - cars are only metal and typically worthless (minus the so called atas brand value) - used to drive a $3k car in Melbourne.

hello bro long time no see [wave]

sorry to hear about your aveo has [angel]

with current COE price, i foresee my car to be going the same route as yours in 4.5 yrs' time [bigcry]

do share your experience if you happen to find any good and reasonably priced car pooling lobang :D

↡ Advertisement