Asking Auto gear drivers

Quantum

If you need to shift to D1 or D2 to squeeze more torque out, you might as well get down from the lousy car and get a tow truck to do the job. Can't you just step more on the gas??

↡ Advertisement

D1 means the gear will only stay in gear 1.

D2 means the gear will change between 1 & 2.

D3 means the gear changes between 1, 2 & 3.

So going down hill, good to use D3 or D2 to PRevent the gears going to fourth or fifth. Like engine brake to reduce brake failure.

If stay at D, when going downhill, car gain speed,and the gear will auto change to 4 or 5, the engine brake willnot be ther, and the danger of car gaining faster speed is not good!

But then hor going up slope, don't need to use D2 or D3, as there is no chance to use engine brake,and the fact also the car will not be gaining much speed. The auto gear will stay low, as long as the up slope speed is low. If you upslope speed is 100km/hr, then of course the auto gear will likely be at 4 or 5th gear, there is no danger.

But then hor, I see many china drivers in China, changing to D2-3 when they enters multistory carpark. Which I think is not necessary.

I believe NO ONE in Singapore ever use D2-3 when we go to shopping centers or HDBmultistorey carpark. Since the slope down is only momentarily. No danger of brake fade.

[thumbsup] learnt sumthing today

No, you don't need to step on the brake when moving from D - D3 - D2 - D1. And when going up the slope you can just step on the accelerator harder... the auto gear will automatically shift to 3rd gear if needed.

Manual gear limiters (D3, D2 and D1) are generally useful for going uphill or downhill. For example, if you are going down the hill with twists and turns, the car will pick up speed going downhill (in D), and you will have to press the brake all the time. You can shift the gear to D2 or D3 which would engage engine brake and limit the gear to 2nd or 3rd respectively, and limit the speed of the car.

And no, it is not required to go up/down multi-storey car parks, nor going u/down bridges in Singapore.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys [:)] Can I ask you all a question about auto cars?

So far all the auto cars I've driven, you need to press the button on the gear and then just shift downwards.

So I wanna ask how do I change gear from for example from P to R and so on using the staggered kind of auto gear box.

Sorry I really do not know.. Hope you all can teach me .

Thanks guys [:)]

post-132040-1370881310_thumb.jpg

So far all the auto cars I've driven, you need to press the button on the gear and then just shift downwards.

So I wanna ask how do I change gear from for example from P to R and so on using the staggered kind of auto gear box.

This has got to take the cake.

Depress the brake pedal when shifting gears, simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [knife]

Turbocharged

Follow the path, don't force lor. Try a few times can already.

Neutral Newbie

You just have to follow the pattern, like in your pic, pull the gear to the right then downwards. I believe in most cars, you need to step on your brakes before you can "release" the gear from P. Otherwise, there's this locking mechanism that prevents you from shifting away from P.

Neutral Newbie

You just have to follow the pattern, like in your pic, pull the gear to the right then downwards. I believe in most cars, you need to step on your brakes before you can "release" the gear from P. Otherwise, there's this locking mechanism that prevents you from shifting away from P.

Hi guys thanks for your replies!

How about moving from R to N. How do I move the gear stick?

Hi guys thanks for your replies!

How about moving from R to N. How do I move the gear stick?

Same, press brake and slide it down one notch.

Neutral Newbie

Same, press brake and slide it down one notch.

Do I have to move it left and down or just down only?

Do I have to move it left and down or just down only?

Now school holiday... if above legal age...can considered take driving license.. nowaday got license for auto car only... ^_^

Now school holiday... if above legal age...can considered take driving license.. nowaday got license for auto car only... ^_^

yeah...recently went with my uncle for his practice, so many little xmms and ah bengs taking TP...peeped behind a xmm whom passed...her ic show 95XXXXX...wonder they took so early for what? :blink: as if they can afford to buy a car immediately? [shakehead]

yeah...recently went with my uncle for his practice, so many little xmms and ah bengs taking TP...peeped behind a xmm whom passed...her ic show 95XXXXX...wonder they took so early for what? :blink: as if they can afford to buy a car immediately? [shakehead]

Actually take early better, coz next time age 20 want to rent car, can rent from legal companies, or even buying car, insurance cost slightly lower if use own name. Plus if drive other people car, as a "experienced" driver, excess might be lesser than "young and inexperienced" driver.