How to select a used mazda 3

Ranran01

Neutral Newbie

Need Advice...

I am looking to purchase a used Mazda 3 but is not sure how can i go about choosing a car. Am overwhelmed when i see the numerous listings in sgcarmart.. I have an idea of what i want, can experienced forumers pls help.. Am i right to the statements below??

As i am a noob in determining the condition of the car (motor n such), i will only look at cars with:

1) Full Agent Service Records (FASR)

- cannot lie on millage (i prefer low millage for less wear n tear)

- FASR also means regular servicing, proper recording of works done in log book

- any accident / major / minor repairs be proper documented.

- no unauthorized mods to vehicle

I am also torn between getting a 2 yr old mazda 3 ~ 75k (8k depreciation) Vs a 5yrs old mazda 3 ~ 45k (6.5k depreciation) . For an additional of 1.5k/yr, i get a newer vehicle, i assume no need to replace leather seats, rims etc, nicer outlook, as well as a peace of mind. If i get an older vehicle, more likely of replacement for worn out parts, more days in garage, higher maintainence which will also add up...

Am considering:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=234019 5.5yrs old, red, 6.2k dep

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=207771 4.5yrs old, black, 6.6k dep

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=234021 2 yrs old, nice white color 8k dep

Any comments?? Help

↡ Advertisement

i would suggest the 2yrs old for a peace of mind =)

check service booklet for regular maintenance

and call TransEurokars Mazda to verify if still under warranty (in case prev owner mod etc.)

Then of course..send for the usual inspection/grading by STA/Vicom etc to check for signs of accidents/chassis damage etc..

ask for test-drive + get dealer to drive and u sit beside.. off radio. listen out for weird noises etc and ask about it.

ask as much as possible and you should be able to tell if dealer is trying to 'hide' anything

remember..if you dont feel right about anything, do not proceed.

all these and a bit of luck for an honest dealer and a lemon-free car =)

Based on my experience,

1. 1.6 is quite underpowered. Go for 2L even if it is bit expensive

2. If you are a lazy person, do not select white colour. If it is white, you need to regularly wash / groom it - otherwise white would turn yellow

3. Generally, it is better to buy a second hand car within warranty period (within 3 years)

4. Back seat is too tight for Mazda 3. If you are planning to seat adults at 6 feet, better have a second thought

Just my 0.02$

Based on my experience,

1. 1.6 is quite underpowered. Go for 2L even if it is bit expensive

2. If you are a lazy person, do not select white colour. If it is white, you need to regularly wash / groom it - otherwise white would turn yellow

3. Generally, it is better to buy a second hand car within warranty period (within 3 years)

4. Back seat is too tight for Mazda 3. If you are planning to seat adults at 6 feet, better have a second thought

Just my 0.02$

1. resale value of 1.6 and 2.0 about the same depreciation.

4. even Mazda 6 rear also tight. I still like the old Mazda 2 SP. Rear space is [thumbsup]

1. resale value of 1.6 and 2.0 about the same depreciation.

4. even Mazda 6 rear also tight. I still like the old Mazda 2 SP. Rear space is [thumbsup]

Mazda 6 Hatchback version rear is huge!

Hmm... I also just bought my first 2nd hand car, so let me share my experiences with you.

Always, ALWAYS check the mileage and service records with the AD, don't be pressured to making a commitment on the spot by the sales.

I got pressured into bidding a price for the vehicle without test driving (his reason was that it was to show my sincerity and he cannot anyhow let people test drive to spoil the low mileage). And he lied that the vehicle was serviced by MI, but when after purchasing, MI told me they had never serviced the vehicle before.

Are your going to drive the Mazda until scrap? Then scrap value might be a point to note for you (<2006 have higher scrap values than >2006).

If the depreciation and road tax between the 1.6 & 2.0 is of minor differences, it's always better to go for the 2.0. The driving experience and resale value is always better.

I also realised that a rule of thumb when buying any cars, is that if purchase price is low, usually maintenance will be high, and vice versa.

Like one of the brothers posted earlier, if you have any inch of doubt, don't hesitate to walk away. There'll be less regrets than making a pressured or misinformed decision.

Neutral Newbie

Just take note of fuel consumption, road tax, mileage and car age.

Other then that, your mazda sporty look is what u r looking for.

Hope you own your car soon and enjoy your ride :)

Neutral Newbie

Hi StefanK,

I also got my 2nd hand car last year oct.

bought my nissan k12 on my 2nd test drive.

Love my car :)

Test a aveo5, but was shock when I wanted to do a right signal.

You know why? wiper came up lol

Euro car signal is on the left side lol

Too bad the car got a paint crack, if not $40000 for a 32month old aveo5 is a gd budget for me.

But end up getting my Nissan K12, 3 year old, 31000km done.

buying second hand car is an art.

first start with the feel. look at the car, test the car. if the car does not feel right, walk away first - you can always come back later. hundreds if not thousands of mazda3 on the market, that's not the only one.

next, look at the mechanical parts. test the engine and gearbox. get a mechanic to read the OBD port. get the chassis checked for accident and respray. test every damn electrical part. lights, sound, etc. let the engine idle and warm up, drive it fast, drive it slow, steer hard left/right, go over humps. u really have to test the car properly. 3 yr old or 8 yr old, any car with a problem is a headache. it wastes a lot of time to send it to the workshop... and you are stressed by all the issues. it is no joke. even if under warranty, u will also be stressed out. so to me, new or old doesn't matter... better be cheap and good. for example you have a 2 years old that depre about 1.5k more than the rest for the next 8 years, that's 8x1.5k=12k!!! s--t! just for warranty?

do your research online - join the forums, find out what are common problems on mazda3? any friends driving one? bring him along during a test drive... and if he allows u, test his car too! so you know how the car should drive.

look beyond cosmetics. paint scratches, lousy leather... can be changed easily. but a bad engine, gearbox or drivetrain is a long term headache.

mileage? screw that. if you ever find a fully serviced car, it's going to be damn expensive unless direct owner sale. low mileage is almost impossible, most people clock 20,000km a year. for a 5 year old car it would hve reached 100,000kms unless it's an OPC. note agent service can be faked. how is it faked? they just send it in for a servicing recently, maybe 1-2 times - then got record liao... better check for FULL history if you are intent on that.

i have already bought 4 second hand cars myself... i won't call myself an expert but i have had enough bad and good experiences. the recent 3 experiences have been good... either by luck or by chance, i dunno.

but IMHO 6+k dep for a mazda3 is crazy. you should look for the region of ~5+k. bargain, bargain, bargain. don't just look at one or two. car is not cheap. don't buy the wrong thing. it can really kill u...

maybe u shld read this blog i found, very good info: http://www.tzlee.com/blog/?p=1364

Edited by Detach8

Neutral Newbie

wow. thanks for the sharing. really useful for newbies like myself :)

after days of reading, some research and considering the comments from forumers, found this M6 new listing.

1) http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=233448 5.5yrs old, 5.5k dep only!!, black, if mileage is indeed as advertised and engine to be in good condition, i will be very keen on this one.

2) http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=193365 6yrs old, 7k dep, white, like the color but no agent servicing records, mileage likely to be tweaked so will not be going for it.

number 1 is almost the same price and lower dep than the 2 M3s i shortlisted earlier:

3) http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=234019 5.5yrs old, red, 6.2k dep

4) http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=207771 4.5yrs old, black, 6.6k dep

Hi RR01, I think it's good that you're doing all your research and making calculated decisions (e.g. looking at depreciation/annum).

I drive a '05 Mz3, and my mileage is just about to reach 115k. With regard to reliability, I have yet to encounter a mechanical problem with the engine/chassis so far. I have to say that the CD-changer has since got stuck and one small light in the centre console is not working anymore. Still, not too bad for an almost 7-year old car. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I believe that the majority of the Mz3s out there share the same reliability. If there's a proper maintenance record for the car, don't be afraid to take the plunge.

I understand some of the 2nd-hand dealers are accredited by CaseTrust (probably can google them). I would think that these dealers generally have a good track record in terms of service and integrity.

Haha, my compulsory list

- must be 2.0L version, not 1.6L

- original stock sports rims

- no mods at all, no even VS & KNN filter

- no funny stickers, ugly stick on window visors, etc.

Preferably 100% stock condition.

[

↡ Advertisement