CBD may lose another big carpark with over 1K parking spaces

Darthrevan

The shortage of parking spaces in the city could get even worse with Capitaland considering redeveloping the Golden Shoe Carpark now that its revamp of the former Market Street Carpark is under way.

The 10-storey Golden Shoe, in Market Street, a stone's throw from Raffles Place MRT Station, contains 1,053 parking spaces with retail and food outlets on the first three levels.

CapitaLand group president and chief executive Liew Mun Leong said it was always the company's intention to redevelop both carparks.

'It's a matter of timing... In 1996, when I was already (chief executive), we already had plans for both carparks. We need the approval of the Government... and then we have to see the timing of the demand for office space.'

source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_763845.html

↡ Advertisement

Just take MRT or car sharing leh. It was never wise to drive to the city in the first place. I also do car sharing if there is no conflict of timing & plans.

Just take MRT or car sharing leh. It was never wise to drive to the city in the first place. I also do car sharing if there is no conflict of timing & plans.

discouraging CBD parking will help reduce the volume of private car traffic which causes congestions in CBD if left unchecked...

other than well connected trains/stations within CDB, low-rent bicycles + shelftered cycling tracks etc will have move communters without the use of private cars.... more travellators linking buildings also help...... will govt willing to spend on these things to benefit the pple? they have collected / still collecting tons of money thru ERP/COE/ARF etc for more than 3 decades!!! where has the money gone? :o

Paris etc have low-rent bicycles... and their weather is not superb all year round....

The shortage of parking spaces in the city could get even worse with Capitaland considering redeveloping the Golden Shoe Carpark now that its revamp of the former Market Street Carpark is under way.

The 10-storey Golden Shoe, in Market Street, a stone's throw from Raffles Place MRT Station, contains 1,053 parking spaces with retail and food outlets on the first three levels.

CapitaLand group president and chief executive Liew Mun Leong said it was always the company's intention to redevelop both carparks.

'It's a matter of timing... In 1996, when I was already (chief executive), we already had plans for both carparks. We need the approval of the Government... and then we have to see the timing of the demand for office space.'

source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_763845.html

Wasn't it so that certain buildings omitted carparks in their designs because they struck a deal to have buildings dedicated for parking in the first place? I am talking about decisions met way back in the late 70s or the 80s.

I dont miss the carparks..I only fear for the nice cheap food at Golden Shoe..if that one goes...all the office crowd sure die. [rifle]

discouraging CBD parking will help reduce the volume of private car traffic which causes congestions in CBD if left unchecked...

other than well connected trains/stations within CDB, low-rent bicycles + shelftered cycling tracks etc will have move communters without the use of private cars.... more travellators linking buildings also help...... will govt willing to spend on these things to benefit the pple? they have collected / still collecting tons of money thru ERP/COE/ARF etc for more than 3 decades!!! where has the money gone? :o

Paris etc have low-rent bicycles... and their weather is not superb all year round....

more likely people will keep on circling the area until they can find a car park which causes further congestion

more likely people will keep on circling the area until they can find a car park which causes further congestion

some will do exactly that...... but if they have a meeting to attend (not just park and go shopping), they cant be spending time circling everyday :o

Decentralisation of city centre. Solve all overcrowding

Or homes, offices, shops, barbers, food, etc etc all in same block of 70sty towers.... plus link-bridges for pple between these mega towers.... no need cars :D

I dont miss the carparks..I only fear for the nice cheap food at Golden Shoe..if that one goes...all the office crowd sure die. [rifle]

delivered bento lunch box or white styrofoam box lunches :D

I don't care about the carparks but I am going to miss the food. They still had the 4 dishes for $2.30 in level 3 of the hawker centre...

They redeveloped market street carpark and now they also want to redevelop golden shoe carpark!!! [dizzy] How come they like to tear down building here and rebuilt?

Shouldn't LTA first consider building a temporary carpark before allowing the developer to tear down the building..?

Dont think there is enough place to build exactly same number of lots temporary carpark in town area.

Dont think there is enough place to build exactly same number of lots temporary carpark in town area.

Yah, you could be right. But I was thinking that LTA could 'break up' and spread out the temporary parking instead of setting up a location in a full replacement for the 1K parking lots.