Slow Down Culture

Phluvcat

Slow Down Culture

It's been 18 years since I joined Volvo, a Swedish company. Working for them has proven to be an interesting experience. Any project here takes 2 years to be finalized, even if the idea is simple and brilliant. It's a rule. Globalize processes have caused in us (all over the world) a general sense of searching for immediate results. Therefore, we have come to posses a need to see immediate results. This contrasts greatly with the slow movements of the Swedish. They, on the other hand, debate, debate, debate, hold x quantity of meetings and work with a slowdown scheme.

At the end, this always yields better results.

Said in another words:

1. Sweden is about the size of San Pablo, a state in Brazil.

2. Sweden has 2 million inhabitants.

3. Stockholm, has 500,000 people.

4. Volvo, Escania, Ericsson, Electrolux are some of its renowned companies. Volvo supplies the NASA.

The first time I was in Sweden, one of my colleagues picked me up at the hotel every morning. It was September, bit cold and snowy. We would arrive early at the company and he would park far away from the entrance (2000 employees drive their car to work). The first day, I didn't say anything, either the second or third. One morning I asked, "Do you have a fixed parking space? I've noticed we park far from the entrance even when there are no other cars in the lot." To which he replied, "Since we're here early we'll have time to walk, and whoever gets in late will be late and need a place closer to the door. Don't you think? Imagine my face.

Nowadays, there's a movement in Europe name Slow Food. This movement establishes that people should eat and drink slowly, with enough time to taste their food, spend time with the family, friends, without

rushing. Slow Food is against its counterpart: the spirit of Fast Food and what it stands for as a lifestyle. Slow Food is the basis for a bigger movement called Slow Europe, as mentioned by Business Week.

Basically, the movement questions the sense of "hurry" and "craziness" generated by globalization, fueled by the desire of "having in quantity" (life status) versus "having with quality", "life quality" or the "quality

of being". French people, even though they work 35 hours per week, are more productive than Americans or British (True?). Germans have established 28.8 hour workweeks and have seen their productivity been driven up by 20%. This slow attitude has brought forth the US's attention, pupils of the fast and the "do it now!".

This no-rush attitude doesn't represent doing less or having a lower productivity. It means working and doing things with greater quality, productivity, perfection, with attention to detail and less stress. It means reestablishing family values, friends, free and leisure time. Taking the "now", present and concrete, versus the "global", undefined and anonymous. It means taking humans' essential values, the simplicity of living.

It stands for a less coercive work environment, more happy, lighter and more productive where humans enjoy doing what they know best how to do. It's time to stop and think on how companies need to develop

serious quality with no-rush that will increase productivity and the quality of products and services, without losing the essence of spirit. In the movie, Scent of a Woman, there's a scene where Al Pacino asks a girl

to dance and she replies, "I can't, my boyfriend will be here any minute now". To which Al responds, "A life is lived in an instant". Then they dance to a tango.

Many of us live our lives running behind time, but we only reach it when we die of a heart attack or in a car accident rushing to be on time. Others are so anxious of living the future that they forget to live the present, which is the only time that truly exists. We all have equal time throughout the world. No one has more or less. The difference lies in how each one of us does with our time. We need to live each moment.

As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

Congratulations for reading till the end of this message. There are many who will have stopped in the middle so as not to waste time in this globalized world.

↡ Advertisement

Nowadays I also drive slower to .....................

check out where the speed cams are.

But seriously, why rush when we dont really have to. It doesnt add a day to our life or make us happier, in fact, it may shorten it. [:)]

Slow Down Culture

It's been 18 years since I joined Volvo, a Swedish company. Working for them has proven to be an interesting experience. Any project here takes 2 years to be finalized, even if the idea is simple and brilliant. It's a rule. Globalize processes have caused in us (all over the world) a general sense of searching for immediate results. Therefore, we have come to posses a need to see immediate results. This contrasts greatly with the slow movements of the Swedish. They, on the other hand, debate, debate, debate, hold x quantity of meetings and work with a slowdown scheme.

Said in another words:

4. Volvo, Escania, Ericsson, Electrolux are some of its renowned companies. Volvo supplies the NASA.

The first time I was in Sweden, one of my colleagues picked me up at the hotel every morning. It was September, bit cold and snowy. We would arrive early at the company and he would park far away from the entrance (2000 employees drive their car to work). The first day, I didn't say anything, either the second or third. One morning I asked, "Do you have a fixed parking space? I've noticed we park far from the entrance even when there are no other cars in the lot." To which he replied, "Since we're here early we'll have time to walk, and whoever gets in late will be late and need a place closer to the door. Don't you think? Imagine my face.

Nowadays, there's a movement in Europe name Slow Food. This movement establishes that people should eat and drink slowly, with enough time to taste their food, spend time with the family, friends, without

rushing. Slow Food is against its counterpart: the spirit of Fast Food and what it stands for as a lifestyle. Slow Food is the basis for a bigger movement called Slow Europe, as mentioned by Business Week.

Basically, the movement questions the sense of "hurry" and "craziness" generated by globalization, fueled by the desire of "having in quantity" (life status) versus "having with quality", "life quality" or the "quality

of being". French people, even though they work 35 hours per week, are more productive than Americans or British (True?). Germans have established 28.8 hour workweeks and have seen their productivity been driven up by 20%. This slow attitude has brought forth the US's attention, pupils of the fast and the "do it now!".

This no-rush attitude doesn't represent doing less or having a lower productivity. It means working and doing things with greater quality, productivity, perfection, with attention to detail and less stress. It means reestablishing family values, friends, free and leisure time. Taking the "now", present and concrete, versus the "global", undefined and anonymous. It means taking humans' essential values, the simplicity of living.

It stands for a less coercive work environment, more happy, lighter and more productive where humans enjoy doing what they know best how to do. It's time to stop and think on how companies need to develop

serious quality with no-rush that will increase productivity and the quality of products and services, without losing the essence of spirit. In the movie, Scent of a Woman, there's a scene where Al Pacino asks a girl

to dance and she replies, "I can't, my boyfriend will be here any minute now". To which Al responds, "A life is lived in an instant". Then they dance to a tango.

Many of us live our lives running behind time, but we only reach it when we die of a heart attack or in a car accident rushing to be on time. Others are so anxious of living the future that they forget to live the present, which is the only time that truly exists. We all have equal time throughout the world. No one has more or less. The difference lies in how each one of us does with our time. We need to live each moment.

As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

Congratulations for reading till the end of this message. There are many who will have stopped in the middle so as not to waste time in this globalized world.

Typical Scandinavian company culture.

Yes, slow is fast sometimes in sunny Singapore.

I have been driving along West Coast HW on the left most lane and normally will arrive same time or on some occasions earlier than those who drive the right most lane.

Edited by Kangadrool

I believe hardly anyone among us can have stamina of monitor lizards. We can do sprinting only for a short while. Of course, there are instances when we simply need to rush. I believe what we should be more concern is the lower productivity along with the slowdown, health related to slowdown.

Typical Scandinavian company culture.

Yes, slow is fast sometimes in sunny Singapore.

I have been driving along West Coast HW on the left most lane and normally will arrive same time or on some occasions earlier than those who drive the right most lane.

Did you noticed the Myvi overtook the Elise? [laugh]

慢活 been doing that for past 3 years..... things slowdown by 50% after i change job ^_^

on driving only manage to slow down by 30%, does not get agitat easily and forgive/forget faster ...

sign getting old maybe [laugh] [laugh]

I believe hardly anyone among us can have stamina of monitor lizards. We can do sprinting only for a short while. Of course, there are instances when we simply need to rush. I believe what we should be more concern is the lower productivity along with the slowdown, health related to slowdown.

My health improve after I change job. [:p] Productivity does not drop even thought I have much more holidays, & work less hours.

Singapore mentality of improve 'productivity' is 'more hours', & 'more people' doing the same task.

The idea of working longer to get more results have been drilled in our mind since young. Learning to get things done within our core working hours have never been taken seriously, as there is no enforcement by law that you are not allow to overwork for a given time a day, & over a period.

I remember someone told me b4 in hokkien, loosely translated as:

If you can lie down, why sit?

If you can sit, why stand?

If you can stand, why walk?

If you can walk, why run?

I know this for a long time but it is very difficult to put in practice......

Read this before long ago. Why can't TS provide the link on where he got this story?

This is plagiarism. [rolleyes]

Bro mai like that leh....from email so I cut and paste and share but interesting perspective, can we say about first world country? Our current system is like conveyor belt in a factory though a city like us does not have much choice.

My health improve after I change job. [:p] Productivity does not drop even thought I have much more holidays, & work less hours.

Singapore mentality of improve 'productivity' is 'more hours', & 'more people' doing the same task.

The idea of working longer to get more results have been drilled in our mind since young. Learning to get things done within our core working hours have never been taken seriously, as there is no enforcement by law that you are not allow to overwork for a given time a day, & over a period.

I believe that is production assumed/mistaken for productivity. It seems to me none of the Ministers believe/understand productivity. All recommendation attempts towards this were rejected. Likley they felt any malingering among them threatened [shakehead] .

I remember someone told me b4 in hokkien, loosely translated as:

If you can lie down, why sit?

If you can sit, why stand?

If you can stand, why walk?

If you can walk, why run?

I know this for a long time but it is very difficult to put in practice......

I believe there are exceptions whre the reverse is the more desirable [laugh]

if more people are looking at going slow in their life or career, or taking more time off, it is a sign that the country is maturing and moving toward 1st world?

however, the world is changing the other way round, the developed countries is going back to fast moving life, european are working harder and longer hours now. I can choose to slow down but who is going to chiong for the economy?

Slow Down Culture

Said in another words:

This is shocking. I was just telling my friend on Sunday that why the world is rushing ? Do we need another new Smartphone or LCD TV with a little better features or do we need to rush to work only to work for 14 hours a day and rush back to spend the little t ime we have with our family ?

Why has WORK become the Centre of our Lives and not Family ?

The answer to all this is GREED - not in our part but the system is fuelled by GREED itself.

Why can't we work 4 days and rest 3 day ? will the world suffer ? In fact, a slowing pace of life from everyone consumes lesser and helps prolong and replenishes the limited resource of this earth.

Why are we always in a hurry ? Morning we rush our kids to school

Then we rush to work and we rush to meet datelines and we rush to eat our lunch and we rush back to work and stayed late in office and rush back to home on;y to find our kids sleeping already.

Is this the life you all want to live ?

A slower pace of living is very much welcomed at least for me...

I believe it is the spirit of industrialisation and profit-garnering that has resulted in the fast paced world that most of us live in these days.

Today's employers believe that the employee should fulfill their core responsibilities within the official working hours and then increase work efficiency and business profits by working extra hours.

I envy the Europeans for their short working hours with long breaks. However, as globalisation reaches its peak, even they will have to meet the global efficiency standards.

The last I heard, the Spanish are considering cutting short or doing away with their siesta, because global clients find them unproductive for having such long breaks.

Bro mai like that leh....from email so I cut and paste and share but interesting perspective, can we say about first world country? Our current system is like conveyor belt in a factory though a city like us does not have much choice.

but Volvo is not a good example. it is not doing well and might go bankrupt leh.

↡ Advertisement