"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

I continue to use what was used in the past.

We have our own way to pronounce these places correctly.

No need to change. 

Hi I came across this as I was wondering whether to use 新西兰 or 纽西兰.

Firstly, this isn’t about mainland China or Taiwan, at all. I was thinking 纽西兰 because I do think it sounds nicer and it’s been that way for a very long time. However, 新西兰 is actually much more respectful to the Dutch cartographers (who gave the country it’s name today), as they had named it after Zeeland in the Netherlands. So yes, there is a ‘旧西兰’ in a way. Therefore my dilemma about the question but seeing everyone’s opinion I thought I should clear it up for everyone.

As for the 印度尼西亚 part. I believe I have heard that Indonesia actually prefers it this way, therefore the change. However, I’m not 100% sure, just something I heard. The important part lies that this has nothing to do with mainland China, ironically. I’m sure everyone knows that P5 students have a chance to go to China for an immersion trip? There’s also another when in Secondary School? I know for a fact that mainland Chinese do not use 印度尼西亚 at all. They don’t even know what it means. They use 印尼. We were talking about Indonesia to our guide when I went years back. We said 印度尼西亚. The guide was blurred and was wondering if it was India in fact. We later cleared it up to her that it was 印尼. Not laughing at anyone though. It’s always to interesting to find out what sorts of culture differences there can be. From the above, I believe it not difficult to infer that Singaporeans use 印度尼西亚way before mainland China did.

i always thought 印尼 is the short form of 印度尼西亚... anyway Australia was also changed from 澳洲 to 澳大利亚... 

德士。

的士 is the Canto phonetic for taxi. in SG, we use 德士 which is the Mandarin phonetic. this is my understanding. 

long long time ago, taxi is written as 特士 in Singapore

this sounds like Special Forces  [laugh]

Edited by kdash

Hokkien, not Mandarin. Taxi = Tek si =  德士 (Hokkien) = Tak si (Cantonese). So HK uses 的士 (Cantonese - Tek si). If Mandarin, it will sound like "太可惜".

thanks for the clarification bro  [thumbsup]

indeed, 太可惜了... :XD:

Edited by kdash

i always thought 印尼 is the short form of 印度尼西亚... anyway Australia was also changed from 澳洲 to 澳大利亚... 

的士 is the Canto phonetic for taxi. in SG, we use 德士 which is the Mandarin phonetic. this is my understanding. 

this sounds like Special Forces  [laugh]

I always thought 澳洲 refers to Australia as a continent. 

While 澳大利亚 refers to it as a country. [confused]

I always thought 澳洲 refers to Australia as a continent. 

While 澳大利亚 refers to it as a country. [confused]

possible, but i remember the radio and newscasters changed the reporting name to 澳大利亚 at the same time as 新西兰... 

I felt 印度尼西亚 & 澳大利亚 is more like direct translation from english to mandarin, as well as 纽西兰.

Edited by Jman888

澳大利亚 and 印度尼西亞 are actually not new words, but traditionally Chinese habitually shorten names so 澳洲 and 印尼 has been more common for the longest time. San Francisco was called 金山 (gold mine), until the discovery of Melbourne (新金山) then it becomes 舊金山 and 三藩市. 蘇維埃聯盟 (Soviet Union) shortened to 蘇聯. 馬來亞聯邦 (Federation of Malaysia) became simply 聯邦 or 州府 shortened by  local (Singaporean) Chinese. 

Singapore was 淡馬錫 (Tumasik),普羅中 (Pulau Ujang, or Island at the End) then 石叻 (Silat, or Straits in English) in history books over hundreds of years, then later Chinese immigrant workers call it 番平 (foreigners' land), and later Chinese media calls it 星洲. Today, many mainland Chinese give us a shortened name 坡縣, for being a small place as insignificant as a Chinese county. For the same reason, many young Malaysian Chinese now give us a shortened name 小新 as opposed to "大馬".

Not sure, when or why 澳洲 and 印尼 were reverted to long form. It may be following modern Japanese' standardisation of foreign names using foreign words - e.g. アメリカ (America) rather than 米国, オーストラリア (Australia) rather than 豪州. However in Chinese, USA is officially 美利堅合眾國 or 美利堅, and habitually shortened to 美國, but we never saw it reverted back to 美利堅 (America). 

As a boy, I was confused between 澳洲 and 歐洲 (Europe), so perhaps that could be a valid reason for the switch.

found this on wikipedia website:- 

本文标题可能经过转换
  • 转换标题为:不转换、简体、大陆简体:新西兰;繁體、香港繁體、澳門繁體:新西蘭;马新简体:纽西兰;台灣正體:紐西蘭
  • 实际标题为:新西兰;当前显示为:新西兰

but still does not explain why the reporting name switched... 

Turbocharged

found this on wikipedia website:-

本文标题可能经过转换

• 转换标题为:不转换、简体、大陆简体:新西兰;繁體、香港繁體、澳門繁體:新西蘭;马新简体:纽西兰;台灣正體:紐西蘭
  • 实际标题为:新西兰;当前显示为:新西兰
but still does not explain why the reporting name switched...
The reason is...our local mandarin standard is sucks. We don’t even have a good foundation to stand firm on our style of mandarin and worst...don’t even know what’s right n wrong. Since now China coming up alrdy we just change everything and follow China lor! I always find we dont belong to China, we don’t have to change everything to follow them de mah!

Just like “Laos” also, when I live in China 10yrs ago I used to argue with my China friends cos I told them we call it 辽国 (liao guo) and they said it is 老挝 (lao wo)...knn now SG also call it 老挝 liao! Sibeh lao kui! :lll._.:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1