"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

2 hours ago, Kklim said:

Malaysia has become "ma guo". Horse Country 😆

Reminds me of The Lord of the Rings. The Rohirrim !

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2012 at 9:28 PM, Lurpsexx said:

We were just joking about this just now.. From Wiki, " Taiwan here uses 紐 Niǔ for "New" phonetically in the same manner as 纽约 Niǔyuē (New York), whilst mainland China uses the semantic transcription 新 xīn which literally means "new" in Chinese. "

Heng, New York is still 纽约 Niǔyuē and not 新约 xīnyuē... :wacko: Hahahaha..... [laugh] At least until the Ah Tiongs try to be funny and twist things around their way again...

Things have been changing alot in SG in the last 2 decades since the scums in white open leg wide wide and let in all the foreigners... even our languages and culture have been arm twisted to suit other people's style.. who says Ch 8 is not China infested station now? Kee Chiu!

Singaporeans will be extinct in 20 years.... Chinapore or Indiapore will rise..... Will you still be around then?? Vote wisely.....

After i read what u wrote here, i can guarantee one thing. I will not vote for whatever party u intend to vote for the next election.

Stupidity simply has no cure...*period

For me, if China define Australia as 澳大利亚 in chinese, i would follow suit. Just as New Zealand is 新西兰 to them.

As for why, dun think i want to waste time explaining to people with low intellect.

Edited by maxsee333

On 3/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, Scion said:

the first time i remember was in the 80s, when they tried to "hanyu pinyinise" not only our names but also the places in Singapore

That episode was really disgusting. 

Changing place names was one thing,  Forcing people to change their names given by their parents is really a WTF moment. 

I remember people asking what will happen when the names on the school certs are different from birth cert. 

The hanyu pinyin names had no legal standing whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, Playtime said:

Changing place names was one thing,  Forcing people to change their names given by their parents is really a WTF moment. 

I remember people asking what will happen when the names on the school certs are different from birth cert. 

That was part of the Speak Mandarin campaign under the formalising of a common language amount Singaporean Chinese..

Dialect names were never "forced" upon to be removed from anyone's IC nor birth certs.

Please do not mislead.

1 hour ago, Wishcumsback said:

That was part of the Speak Mandarin campaign under the formalising of a common language amount Singaporean Chinese..

Dialect names were never "forced" upon to be removed from anyone's IC nor birth certs.

Please do not mislead.

were you even there back then??

I said students were forced to use names different from the birth certs.

do not mis read.

7 hours ago, Wishcumsback said:

Let's put this pointless and stupid 9 years old Thread to bed..shall we ?

Official Languages of UN

There are six official languages of the UN.  These are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.....

https://www.un.org/en/sections/about-un/official-languages/

https://www.un.org/zh/sections/about-un/official-languages/

yes, Chinese is an official UN language, but you must understand different areas have their own version of Chinese too, eg Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore

ours are influenced by dialects, Malay and even a little bit of Tamil, due to our society structure

glad that PM Lee recently endorses our Singapore-style Chinese

i will flip if they change 巴刹 to 市集, or 巴士 to 公交車

so Lau Pa Sat becomes Lao Shi Ji? 🙄🙄

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Scion said:

yes, Chinese is an official UN language, but you must understand different areas have their own version of Chinese too, eg Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore

ours are influenced by dialects, Malay and even a little bit of Tamil, due to our society structure

We need to question why we are speaking Mandarin in the first place. For the vast majority of us, it is our 2nd language and we don't normally speak it unless to foreigners. If our mandarin can only be understood in Singapore, then might as well just speak english.

I only speak mandarin to chinese nationals (and sometimes malaysians) so I've always been using their "style" forever. The death of dialect is not due to being forced to use mandarin nor is it because we are forced to standardize mandarin. Dialect is dead in singapore because it is irrelevant. 

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

19 hours ago, Playtime said:

I remember they changed Tekka Market to Zhu Jiao also. Somehow it just didn't sound right. Perhaps we're too used to the traditional dialect names and at the same time, most people young and old didn't have the linguistic ability and vocabulary to convert between dialect and standard mandarin then. 

Perhaps in some instances, the introduction and imposition of Mandarin inadvertently may have played a part in creating a communication gap between a whole generation of young people with their grandparents.  

3 minutes ago, Ronkovic said:

I remember they changed Tekka Market to Zhu Jiao also. Somehow it just didn't sound right. Perhaps we're too used to the traditional dialect names and at the same time, most people young and old didn't have the linguistic ability and vocabulary to convert between dialect and standard mandarin then. 

Perhaps in some instances, the introduction and imposition of Mandarin inadvertently may have played a part in creating a communication gap between a whole generation of young people with their grandparents.  

I may be wrong. 

But I suspect those who grew up then are actually better linguistically. 

Many middle aged folks are actually multi lingual.  But the younger ones are mono singlish...

But yeah... many of the pioneer generation were deprived of entertainment and communication because of the stupid implementation. Talk about filial piety. 

well mumbai used to be called bombay

New delhi was the capital of the Mughal Empire during Shah Jahan's reign.

Lutyens' Delhi or New Delhi, built by the British on the south-west

Most changes occurred to erased the past .

Just like company after merger and acquisition change the name AKA DXC, HP, Compaq, HP Enterprise, EDS and the list goes on.

What is important is why we change it instead of how we change it.

Just like how we introduce Mandarin and discourage Cantonese dialogue in the TV series that we watch. 

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

21 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Reminds me of The Lord of the Rings. The Rohirrim !

For Malaysia, it is 馬來西亞.  Would you rather address it as 大馬 or 馬國?

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

We need to question why we are speaking Mandarin in the first place. For the vast majority of us, it is our 2nd language and we don't normally speak it unless to foreigners. If our mandarin can only be understood in Singapore, then might as well just speak english.

I only speak mandarin to chinese nationals (and sometimes malaysians) so I've always been using their "style" forever. The death of dialect is not due to being forced to use mandarin nor is it because we are forced to standardize mandarin. Dialect is dead in singapore because it is irrelevant. 

Hokkien might be the only surviving dialect. 

Don't blame HKer for treating us like PRC.  We no longer speak mandarin like Nanyang Ren.  We lost our Nanyang identity.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Playtime said:

were you even there back then?? I said students were forced to use names different from the birth certs.

do not mis read.

Strange...was there any mentioned of "students" ? What you said is implies a totally different scenario. [flowerface]

...Forcing people to change their names given by their parents...

6 hours ago, Scion said:

Oh...I am surprised we hv folks you today who still see China as one monolithic bland entity... 

Also I don't understand why the emphasis on "own version" vs "their version" when language variation is a natural evolution..like in English spoken between different places.

I am not sure why you are so into "me vs them" thingy when comes to Chinese language...

Oh BTW, certain region of China do use "巴士"....like this annual publishing and major Chinese internet media ...

Hope you learn something new today![flowerface]

http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2008-07-09/0921390689.shtml

中国豪华旅游巴士进军新加坡市场

2007.gif

Who cares what version is spoken as long as understood? By the way in PRC also the southerners speak with different accent as compared to north, but it is understood. My dongbei darling speaks with the "sh-" and "-r" sounds, but I don't, and I think it's weird if I started following her style and unnatural, not to mention my OC will find it suspicious 😁

• Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Wishcumsback said:

Oh...I am surprised we hv folks you today who still see China as one monolithic bland entity... 

Also I don't understand why the emphasis on "own version" vs "their version" when language variation is a natural evolution..like in English spoken between different places.

I am not sure why you are so into "me vs them" thingy when comes to Chinese language...

Oh BTW, certain region of China do use "巴士"....like this annual publishing and major Chinese internet media ...

Hope you learn something new today![flowerface]

http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2008-07-09/0921390689.shtml

中国豪华旅游巴士进军新加坡市场

whatever...

i'm just a staunch defender of our own local Singaporean identity

↡ Advertisement