Causeway Tolls could be raised up to 5 times!

Darthrevan

If Malaysia increases toll charges for motorists using the Causeway, Singapore is likely to follow suit.

This is due to a longstanding policy of matching whatever rates Malaysia sets, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Motorists using the Causeway could soon pay up to five times more in charges, Malaysian newspaper The Star reported recently.

Under the proposed revision, they will have to pay tolls both ways, which are likely to be at higher rates.

source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_765465.html

↡ Advertisement

Toll charges at custom increase 5 times??? I doubt so lo, if really happen wldn't it affect the number of people crossing the causeway?

If Malaysia increases toll charges for motorists using the Causeway, Singapore is likely to follow suit.

This is due to a longstanding policy of matching whatever rates Malaysia sets, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Motorists using the Causeway could soon pay up to five times more in charges, Malaysian newspaper The Star reported recently.

Under the proposed revision, they will have to pay tolls both ways, which are likely to be at higher rates.

If the Woodlands Check point causeway toll charges increases, JB Iskandar Projects Development might become White Elephant and Premium Outlet might turns to a common Pasar Malam with just their local window shoppers.

If the Woodlands Check point causeway toll charges increases, JB Iskandar Projects Development might become White Elephant and Premium Outlet might turns to a common Pasar Malam with just their local window shoppers.

Yea, so to protect M'sia Economy, i am 90% sure they won;t do it [laugh]

I wonder if that is their idea to promote Iskandar? Do they intend to close down JB, if most people use the 2nd Link instead? I believe shop businesses in the vicinity of Jalan Wong Ah Fook are already not in good shape like before.

Can we cycle there next time?

lol... how many time they say want to raise prices but in the end never do it?

let them raise lor... JB economy will easily drop by 30%

:o

Yea, so to protect M'sia Economy, i am 90% sure they won;t do it [laugh]

Malaysia General Election is around the corner, this "Protects Malaysia" announcement could be UMNO scoring for their Political Cost strategy [shakehead]

Tolls are definitely going up, it is a matter of how much, to make only users of the bypass pay for the project would not be viable, to make all pay, whether they use or not, would not be feasible nor fair, so current toll will rise, I think, and those using the bypass will need to pay more than what is currently contemplated. The KL govt will probably charge bypass users more than the RM7.65 one way and apply it separately so that Singapore will not "reciprocate" and end up hurting the Johor economy.

Higher toll is good for people like me who don't visit for the cheap petrol and cigarettes, I would gladly pay a little more if I could clear custom in 10 mins everytime but I guess that would be a short-lived happiness, as like our ERP system, people just get used to it and we end up paying more to get stuck in jams in the long run. But eliminating those petrol only visitors should help to alleviate the jams.

Should just increase Causeway 100x both sides and call it a day.

Same as ERP, increase 100x, that will sure make your city traffic a ghost town.

Could it be to clear the place for SMRT to cross into Johore with cheap-cheap JB land acquisition?

Neutral Newbie

Tolls are definitely going up, it is a matter of how much, to make only users of the bypass pay for the project would not be viable, to make all pay, whether they use or not, would not be feasible nor fair, so current toll will rise, I think, and those using the bypass will need to pay more than what is currently contemplated. The KL govt will probably charge bypass users more than the RM7.65 one way and apply it separately so that Singapore will not "reciprocate" and end up hurting the Johor economy.

Higher toll is good for people like me who don't visit for the cheap petrol and cigarettes, I would gladly pay a little more if I could clear custom in 10 mins everytime but I guess that would be a short-lived happiness, as like our ERP system, people just get used to it and we end up paying more to get stuck in jams in the long run. But eliminating those petrol only visitors should help to alleviate the jams.

[thumbsup]

X1

Malaysia General Election is around the corner, this "Protects Malaysia" announcement could be UMNO scoring for their Political Cost strategy [shakehead]

UMNO always don see eye to eye with Singapore Government [laugh]

Most likely JB will not fall into UNMO hands as i heard UNMO always put Malays first and will always put Chinese be hide the Malays (Heard from a chinese malaysian from Johore) so any state with high population of chinese, UNMO votes percentage will always be lesser (Don;t know true or not) [laugh]

People will get used to the price increase and move on.

its the same logic as higher COE is good for ppl who are rich.

its the same logic as higher COE is good for ppl who are rich.

Well private transport is going to become a real luxury good at the rate we are going. It can't be helped, Singapore is rich and COE has to be allocated by auctions, not via luckydraws. I should still be able to afford to drive but not sure about it in 10-20 years. 15% growth and the middle class cannot afford to own a car, that would be a very sad day.

I will probably get used to it but I must also acknowledge that my quality of life and some part of my family life will deteriorate, well, just have to work even harder to stay in the game. It is the only game in town.

Back to topic, toll should be high enough to deter petrol day trippers and nothing more, otherwise only govts on both sides get rich (or is it the well connected guy at other side?).

Edited by Voodooman

If they wanna increase, pls increase both side. If not all sporean chiong second link for cheap petrol, groceries, food, car wash etc, jam up the whole place and will affect other road users

↡ Advertisement