Tyre pressure

Skateboard

Did a tyre rotation today. At the tyre shop, the workman inflated the tyre to 30PSI as per manufacturer guideline, but when the tyre is out of the car. Is this correct? Or should the 30 PSI be set when the tyres are on the car already, bearing the weigh of the car? Or no difference??

↡ Advertisement

Did a tyre rotation today. At the tyre shop, the workman inflated the tyre to 30PSI as per manufacturer guideline, but when the tyre is out of the car. Is this correct? Or should the 30 PSI be set when the tyres are on the car already, bearing the weigh of the car? Or no difference??

what car is it?

30PSI is quit low, normal it's 33PSI

when u car is cold just drive to the nearest petrol station to pump the pressure u want lor... Cold tyre pressure more accurate.

I tend to prefer Esso... most of them have digital pumps, except a few old ones...

It does not matter on or off load.

As long as it is inflated according to Car's tyre inflation recommendation for the particular tyre size, it is correct.

Care to share what car is it?

When the tire is loaded with the weight of your car, the tire pressure will increase

what car is it?

30PSI is quit low, normal it's 33PSI

Mine is 36 front, 30 at the back, base on manufacturer recommendation. So its not low. But I guess its depends on many factor, for instant, the setting I quote earlier is for 3 adults, if 5 adults, there is another setting. There is also different setting for Winter & summer tires.

Anyway, I need to inflat my tires soon. Its been more than 3 weeks since I last inflated mine. Last 2 days I tried to inflat my tires, but one of the petrol station, the hose was not there, & the other 2 I visited have no pressure pump in sight.

That is so so wrong!

The tyre is rigid and in elastic. The steel belts do not allow the inside volume to change much.

In real world situation, the on wheel and off wheel pressure will remain the same, or if you want to argue at least negligible to measure using the common pressure gauge.

When a tyre manufacture recommend the tyre pressure. It is of course when it's unloaded pressure.

Pressure will only increase IF the total internal space is reduced while still holding the same amount of air.

That will never happen for a rigid car tyre!

The tyre may flex, but the steel belts are keeping the total internal volume constant.

When the tire is loaded with the weight of your car, the tire pressure will increase

Thanks for all the feedback!

Based on what I have been reading as well, think I managed to convince myself that there is no difference whether it is loaded or unloaded.

PV = nRT

As n, R and T remains constant and V is largely unchanged, the pressure (P) inside the tyre is also largely unchanged, whether it is loaded or unloaded.

For all my previous tire replacement, I always drive it home then immediately release some air until it is the pressure I wanted. The correct pressure should be when the car weight is acting on the tire.

I have wanted to know how much will the tyre pressure increase with and without tire load. I suppose I will just experiment is myself. Could not find the answer on the Internet.

Tire shops tend to over inflate the tire. I believe it is because they do not want to be responsible if the tire blows out due to under inflation on our first drive out of the shop. They will ensure the pressure they use is for high speed driving (usually above 170 km/hr). It becomes very uncomfortable. For singapore roads, we do not need to fully comply with the high speed tire pressure. Normal speed pressure can be up to 8 psi lower than the high speed tire pressure.

That is so so wrong!

The tyre is rigid and in elastic. The steel belts do not allow the inside volume to change much.

In real world situation, the on wheel and off wheel pressure will remain the same, or if you want to argue at least negligible to measure using the common pressure gauge.

When a tyre manufacture recommend the tyre pressure. It is of course when it's unloaded pressure.

Pressure will only increase IF the total internal space is reduced while still holding the same amount of air.

The tyre may flex, but the steel belts are keeping the total internal volume constant.

Don't fully agree. Have you tested this yourself, i.e. test the pressure with and without the weight of the car?

All pneumatic tires will flex when loaded. When V in the equation PV=nRT reduces, the P will increase.

Tire looks semi rigid because the pressure is keeping it round and nice. If an external load is added to the tire, the pressure inside the tire will increase correspondingly to maintain the nice round shape otherwise it will collapse, until the point the air pressure will burst the tire from inside out.(explode, NOT implode)

Edited by Topspin

Hi tire temp cause by side wall flexing due to under inflation is the main killer for tire.

Overinflation will subject tire structure to un necessary load

That is so so wrong!

Good argument [:)]

Wonder why the decal at the side of the car door specify higher pressure for higher load?

Reduce the flexing?

Edited by GoodCar

BTW, I am driving an Altis.

Bro ur tyre is 15" rite?can pump 30-32psi is ok..

My camry only pump 32psi in order to enjoy more comfort..

Pump high nothing much different in fc n dnt feel good too..

↡ Advertisement