If they come here sg, I sure hire one!!

RadX

Graduates working as maids in Shanghai

SHANGHAI: In Shanghai, a small but increasing number of highly educated graduates are choosing to work as maids.

As more expats and local talents relocate to Shanghai to live and work, demand for qualified domestic helpers is on the rise.

The pay is attractive as qualified domestic workers can earn up to US$5 per hour, double the usual rate.

Domestic workers caring for post-pregnancy women and babies typically earn more than US$900 a month.

That is almost double the average pay of a fresh university graduate, which is less than US$500.

Shanghai Women's Federation's chief Sun Mei E, said: "They see this as a sunrise industry. Hence, many are willing to come into this, especially college graduates and those with higher education. There is also a small portion of them who aim to set up their own domestic services company."

Thirty-year-old Li Na chose to become a domestic worker despite objections from her family.

She now earns up to US$2300 a month.

Helping out in expat homes, she said learning to speak English and paying special attention to the needs of these foreigners adds value to her service.

"I noted down where the Consulate General of different countries were as well as where they can go shopping or buy groceries. Some of them are only here for two or three years and will like to explore the country in the shortest time possible by making use of weekends. You can do research and share travel tips with them," said Li.

What she offers is a far cry from the bulk of domestic helpers in Shanghai made up of migrants from rural parts of the country who may not have had much education.

Some may have different perceptions of cleanliness and are not used to household chores in the city, such as the cleaning of carpets and washing of delicate clothes.

To help them, the Shanghai Women's Federation organizes free training.

Through a simulation of the home environment, students get a chance to experience the modern lifestyle in both a typical Chinese kitchen and a more western design kitchen.

The students will also get to learn how to use more high technology electrical appliances.

There are currently 500,000 domestic helpers in Shanghai.

↡ Advertisement

They may not necessary be those pretty ones... pretty ones dun do household chores rather the men will do it for them including washing their undies...

They may not necessary be those pretty ones... pretty ones dun do household chores rather the men will do it for them including washing their undies...

which is why need to see biodata.... [:p][:p]

On a serious note, this was mentioned by old man last time if we did not raise our competitiveness.

We are indeed lucky acherlee....and blessed with the first gen leadership!!

Future...dunch noe

Yah n the FTs are here to spur us on....so cannot complain so much accept the challenge n outwit them.. Haiiz...i love dealing w PRC chinese..always find them so good in reasoning their ways out... ^_^ while Singaporeans...under stress cracked...

Maid can earn US$2300/month. What else they have to do other dan cleaning? Clean "aeroplane head" too? :D

I say they spoil market lah. Better not show this to your Indo/Pinoy maid or else tonight they buy airplane ticket and fly to Shanghai. Sooner or later all Asian maids will try their luck there, who will come sgp? A lot of ppl in sgp sure kao peh wan.

On a serious note, this was mentioned by old man last time if we did not raise our competitiveness.

We are indeed lucky acherlee....and blessed with the first gen leadership!!

Future...dunch noe

He say alreadi....

lee-kuan-yew-repent.jpg

But seriously, I respect him for what he has done for the country, all things considered.

Oh great. I cannot get up now else the whole office will see "battle of the bulge" in my pants. :D

if i get sth similar, we can have exchange prog? [laugh][laugh][laugh] give your maid chance to wash porch

On a more serious note, it is really bad that this is happening in China. Guess too fast progress, but not enuf jobs to go by.

Which comes to mind, a degree may not really get you far depending on teh circumstances. Choose your course wisely

which is why need to see biodata.... [:p][:p]

No need no need. Just employ, supply them fresh undies, you will make millions selling their soiled ones.... :D

No need no need. Just employ, supply them fresh undies, you will make millions selling their soiled ones.... :D

That one only popular in Japan lah. U like them too? [laugh]

There's no need for that. If you smart, you can just sell your soil ones and label them with a pretty pic. Nobody will know except you. Hire for what? :D

There's no need for that. If you smart, you can just sell your soil ones and label them with a pretty pic. Nobody will know except you. Hire for what? :D

Like that too risky.... Nowadays got lemon law, rong play play :blink: