Unusual or Rare Cars

Theoldjaffa

On 8/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, Tohto said:

Subaru Legacy of late 80s.

This model was very popular then as it had a very high PARF value of $29k. 

During that time all above 1.6L get $29k PARF and below 1.6L get around $11k PARF.

But this one should be 1991 registered if plate is original. 

IMG-20190826-WA0003.jpg

The Legacy Ti which was the facelifted model of this Legacy, along with the Estate model and RS turbo were my favourite Legacy then. 

↡ Advertisement

7 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Let me share what little knowledge I have about this.

When the top of the wheel/tyre slant inwards it's called negative camber. Car suspensions are designed with geometries such that the camber will become more negative as it is being compressed down, like when you are taking a corner. I don't think it's got to do with speed nor is it a BMW-only trait.

The idea is, when the car is cornering, lateral load on the bottom of the wheel/tyre will push it towards the centre of the car. If your camber is neutral to begin, the cornering loads will force the wheel into a positive camber situation, leaning on the outer edge of the tyre, reducing the tyre contact patch surface area. Having a little negative camber will counteract this force and keep the wheel/tyre upright and the full tyre tread on the road surface for maximum grip.

However, too much camber is not a good thing. Other than lopsided tyre wear as pointed out by @Tohto, there is also smaller tyre contact patch when you are going in a straight line, so grip and stability when going straight and braking is adversely affected.

I remember older BMWs with semi-trailing arm rear suspension (E21 for e.g.) and the old Datsun SSS have pretty pronounced negative camber angles at the back.

Road cars have about 1-2 deg of negative camber. Different suspension designs will need different levels of camber, with double wishbone/ multi-link needing less as their rate of camber change is more gradual and progressive as the springs are compressed.

Hope it helps. 😊

Thanks! Very informative. Let me read up more on this. 👍

Supercharged
3 hours ago, Mhajime said:

Rare Alfa. 

Alfa.jpg

air-con no spare parts or wind down the window to listen to the engine roar? haha

• Praise 3

On 8/29/2019 at 6:24 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Wow! Haven't seen one for many years! 

Wonder if it's the 2L Twinspark or the gorgeous 3L V6?

Always wanted the 164 TS , but could only afford the 33 Clover Leaf then. 

• Praise 1

On 8/29/2019 at 4:53 PM, Mhajime said:

Rare Alfa. 

Alfa.jpg

Starting time,sold as 164,never sell well in Hong Kong & Singapore..Cantonese "All the way Die",later 168''All the way Rich'' is Hong Kong Alfa's Distributor ask the Italian to change...Sales Pick up Fast.

• Praise 4

Saw this VW yesterday evening.

Strange that it has a passenger car plate.

and it was going v fast, cut here cut there and off it went... 😅

20190829_191643.jpg

20190829_191735.jpg

• Praise 4