Hyundai Avante 1.6A Maintenance Cost

BengGaBoy

You're one lucky driver that managed to stop the car with any incident. I guess Harmony workshop has resolved your brake problem.

They would have checked for any brake fluid leakage and would have informed you.

ABS only activates if the wheel is locked during heavy braking or slippery road. Just monitor your brake unless if becomes spongy again and wouldn't brake effectively.

Edited by Tcx607
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Well I’m just feeling insecure because they mentioned ABS Pump fault have similar symptoms too. Anyone encountered a ABS fault before here on Avante? Praying hard no more issues on the brakes... just want a simple and reliable ride for the 5 yrs down the road...

Edited by thetwoot

Hi!my 2nd hand avante 2009 aircon has this weird burnt/ petrol smell.the smells like on&off.Anyone encountered this before. What are the likely cause and how much repair cost going to take.Thanks

24 minutes ago, AzmiAliAdnan said:

Hi!my 2nd hand avante 2009 aircon has this weird burnt/ petrol smell.the smells like on&off.Anyone encountered this before. What are the likely cause and how much repair cost going to take.Thanks

I am not sure if what u r smelling is the same as what I had experienced before. Mine smell like mouldy, urine smell at times. Usually caused by the moisture within the cold air system. 

Usually I turned to heater and blast it about 10 mins prior to reaching home. 

Your case, could be refrigerant leakage, etc and hence the smell, better get a mechanic to check it out. 

36 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

I am not sure if what u r smelling is the same as what I had experienced before. Mine smell like mouldy, urine smell at times. Usually caused by the moisture within the cold air system. 

Usually I turned to heater and blast it about 10 mins prior to reaching home. 

Your case, could be refrigerant leakage, etc and hence the smell, better get a mechanic to check it out. 

Thanks..better get it check with mechanic then

23 hours ago, silverdoe said:

Guys, I’m contemplating on getting a 2009 Avante. Any thoughts and recommendation? Is the maintenance cost manageable for existing owners?

At $4,500 annual dep (irregardless 5 or 10 yr COE renewal), you have so many other choices at the same annual dep - Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sylphy etc.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:58 AM, thetwoot said:

Well I’m just feeling insecure because they mentioned ABS Pump fault have similar symptoms too. Anyone encountered a ABS fault before here on Avante? Praying hard no more issues on the brakes... just want a simple and reliable ride for the 5 yrs down the road...

You can test it easily. Go to some side road with no vehicles. Drive up to maybe 50 km/h and then step very hard on the brakes, you should feel the brakes pumping numerous times... that's the ABS working... if you feel those thumps, it's not working... 

On 10/23/2019 at 10:41 PM, AzmiAliAdnan said:

A few possibilities:

1) Your air circulation system is spoiled so air from outside is leaking in and you're smelling the exhaust fumes from other vehicles and your own car. This one is easy to rectify. Just seal the flap and forego the fresh air intake option. Otherwise you can replace the mechanism if it's faulty. Not so expensive.

2) Your car's fuel line is leaking and that's why you unburnt fuel. This is dangerous and will take a while to locate. Get this fixed asap. Will be costly to repair.

3) Your aircon refrigerant is leaking into the cabin but it shouldn't smell like leaked unburnt fuel. This is also dangerous cos it's not healthy, just don't use the aircon while you wait for parts to come in. Will be costly to repair.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, silverdoe said:

Guys, I’m contemplating on getting a 2009 Avante. Any thoughts and recommendation? Is the maintenance cost manageable for existing owners?

I am one of the owner, renewed my 2009 Avante for 10 yrs. Maintenance and running cost is low for this car. But mine's a manual so maybe ease abit on maintenance also. Within my afforable range in other words. 

Edited by Heartbreakid

On 10/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, silverdoe said:

I had my Avante in its final two years before I scrapped it in July. Although cost of parts is low, you may find their life span is low corrrespondingly. I replaced the alternator and high tension cable which I didn't have to replace when I was having my Corolla previously in its entire 10 years that I owned it.

Fuel consumption is higher as well as with most Korean cars.

In any case, make sure the suspension and engine mount are still good if not renewed when scouting for COE car of any make.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, thetwoot said:

Hi guys, new to the forum and a car noob. In July 19 bought my first car, a COE Avante 2009, and the other day the brakes became intermittently unresponsive with brakes sinking down to the floor and spongy and had a hell of a time stopping the car. Brought it to Harmony Motors Toh Guan and I was told either Brake pump or ABS pump spoilt. They recommended replacing brake pump first and bled my brakes. Asked me to monitor a week or two if the issue relapse. Now the brakes felt firm and seemed fine but I'm still feeling insecure and unsafe with my ride. Anyone encountered this issue before? Any advice from experiences? Pls give me some guidance guys...

On a side note, really lucky didnt get injured and managed to stop and activate towing...

I am surprised the workshop was unable to check and confirm whether brake pump or ABS pump, or both are at fault. The braking system is one of the areas that demands high attention to. How can they replaced some parts and then asked you to monitor for a period? It should be fixed up front and no second guess. I am not in car repair business but I reckon there is a way to test the pumps for faults.

When you buy a used decade old car, and intend to drive for another five to ten yrs, it makes sense to go for a top overhaul and replace all fan belts, shock absorbers, fuel filter, water pump, gear box oil, engine mountings, brake pads & fluid (incl bleed) and  rewrap the seats (synthetic leather a cheaper option).

Because if you don't replace those wear and tear parts now, it's a matter of time before they need to be replaced.

Might as well replace these for a better ride and drive in comfort. 

All in should set you back by no more than S$5,000 for a bread and butter Korean car.

Generally, the lesser the electronics, the less headache.

Edited by Vinceng
Typo error

hi anyone knows where to buy window pillar stickers. been searching online shop apps, but no result. found a quite similar, but is for hyundai solaris verna. wonder does it fit in for avante 09. 

E934B9D9-09E2-4A90-97C9-114DBAE6DEFF.png

13 hours ago, lawrencetay512 said:

hi anyone knows where to buy window pillar stickers. been searching online shop apps, but no result. found a quite similar, but is for hyundai solaris verna. wonder does it fit in for avante 09. 

E934B9D9-09E2-4A90-97C9-114DBAE6DEFF.png

You have to do custom sticker lor... do in Malaysia is cheaper.