Foreign Scholarships-Are We Getting Bang For The Buck?

Vulcann

It does make sense. Elite people, their parents has the $ to help pay for their sons/daughter studies. Giving scholarship to them to me is wasted 1 chance for those whose family is poor.

Since elite has $ to pay for school fees, scholarship should be given to people who cannot afford school fees. [laugh] [laugh]

I think it is not so much the money but the prestige of being awarded the various scholarships for the elites. Their kids will have the these scholarships as their badge of honor in their careers after graduation.

Given the chance for their kids to be on scholarships, I guess 99.9% of the rich parents will not mind foregoing the cash portion and may even willling to PAY to have them on these scholarships.

Sadly our dear govt applies the meritocracy to ALL regardless of their backgrounds...

↡ Advertisement

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_769134.html

Raise the bar on scholarships to foreign students

Published on Feb 22, 2012

SENIOR Parliamentary Secretary for Education Sim Ann told Parliament that 900 full scholarships are awarded each year to students from non-Asean countries to study for a degree here ('Foreign scholars closely tracked'; last Saturday).

This is in addition to 170 similar scholarships for Asean students yearly.

Although this pool of foreign talent will augment the local pool, the Government must show that Singaporeans come first by ensuring there are more scholarships for Singaporeans than foreigners.

The foreign recipients must also deserve the awards.

Ms Sim stated that 45 per cent of foreign scholarship holders complete their undergraduate studies with a second-upper class honours or better. However, as these recipients are selected from among the best from their home countries with bigger populations, the percentage ought to be higher.

The millions of dollars that taxpayers underwrite for these scholarships will be well spent if more than half of the scholarship holders achieve at least second-upper class honours.

Edwin Lim

And another:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_769211.html

Scholarships

It does make sense. Elite people, their parents has the $ to help pay for their sons/daughter studies. Giving scholarship to them to me is wasted 1 chance for those whose family is poor.

Since elite has $ to pay for school fees, scholarship should be given to people who cannot afford school fees. [laugh] [laugh]

Let's not confuse scholarship with bursary.

I am all for our local universities setting aside some scholarships for both locals and foreigners. This is how universities attract the better students to study there and if they do well, will boast their standings. I too was a beneficiary of a scholarship given out by foreign uni. But do hope we are giving on those who are really outstanding.

Be it whether local or foreign "Talents" , should be treated equally while aiming for a scholarship??? At the end of the day , aint we having equal employment opportunity??? Having a Elite policy is bad enuff , to think unexperient ppl namely Scholars are given direct entry to senior officer post but at least they studied hard and gotten good grades in xchange for the fruits of labour ... Still acceptable. WTF now second grades foreign students still eligible to get higher chance of applying for scholarship??? Damn chui !!! Now not only we are promoting non experient ppl but second best results too ???? Ppl at the end of the day , it is us taxpayer money that gives them the high salary .

I agree with you one this.

u cant pay for loyalty , esp. not fm a tiny place which cant provide real sustainability , all whom i met at uni & work , viet, msia, prc, iran, pinoy, india, these people even those with free scholarships utterly despise this place , spat it out right in my face, Singapore is only good for its high exchange rate, free scholarship, and a free passport to the western worlds , theres only 1 way out , be done & get over with, no FT gets pink or PR

Let's not confuse scholarship with bursary.

I am all for our local universities setting aside some scholarships for both locals and foreigners. This is how universities attract the better students to study there and if they do well, will boast their standings. I too was a beneficiary of a scholarship given out by foreign uni. But do hope we are giving on those who are really outstanding.

Thank you for pointing out. Ya my wrong. [laugh] [laugh]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_769134.html

Raise the bar on scholarships to foreign students

SENIOR Parliamentary Secretary for Education Sim Ann told Parliament that 900 full scholarships are awarded each year to students from non-Asean countries to study for a degree here ('Foreign scholars closely tracked'; last Saturday).

This is in addition to 170 similar scholarships for Asean students yearly.

Although this pool of foreign talent will augment the local pool, the Government must show that Singaporeans come first by ensuring there are more scholarships for Singaporeans than foreigners.

The foreign recipients must also deserve the awards.

Ms Sim stated that 45 per cent of foreign scholarship holders complete their undergraduate studies with a second-upper class honours or better. However, as these recipients are selected from among the best from their home countries with bigger populations, the percentage ought to be higher.

The millions of dollars that taxpayers underwrite for these scholarships will be well spent if more than half of the scholarship holders achieve at least second-upper class honours.

Edwin Lim

And another:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_769211.html

Scholarships

↡ Advertisement