Foreign Scholarships-Are We Getting Bang For The Buck?

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_769134.html

Raise the bar on scholarships to foreign students

Published on Feb 22, 2012

SENIOR Parliamentary Secretary for Education Sim Ann told Parliament that 900 full scholarships are awarded each year to students from non-Asean countries to study for a degree here ('Foreign scholars closely tracked'; last Saturday).

This is in addition to 170 similar scholarships for Asean students yearly.

Although this pool of foreign talent will augment the local pool, the Government must show that Singaporeans come first by ensuring there are more scholarships for Singaporeans than foreigners.

The foreign recipients must also deserve the awards.

Ms Sim stated that 45 per cent of foreign scholarship holders complete their undergraduate studies with a second-upper class honours or better. However, as these recipients are selected from among the best from their home countries with bigger populations, the percentage ought to be higher.

The millions of dollars that taxpayers underwrite for these scholarships will be well spent if more than half of the scholarship holders achieve at least second-upper class honours.

Edwin Lim

And another:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_769211.html

Scholarships

Published on Feb 22, 2012

↡ Advertisement

Ai ya , what to do ? We are worse than dogs in the eyes of those white dogs. They will rather give to those PRC dogs lor !

Edited by Jasonjst

Supercharged

To add, after graduated, the male overseas scholar need not go for reservist ICT, and hence he's even more attractive to employers than a Singaporean male graduate.

This issue had been brought up before, and discussed. But still the govt hack care. As a taxpayer, I am concerned and disappointed.

To add, after graduated, the male overseas scholar need not go for reservist ICT, and hence he's even more attractive to employers than a Singaporean male graduate.

This issue had been brought up before, and discussed. But still the govt hack care. As a taxpayer, I am concerned and disappointed.

slapped left right centre...kicked up and down....called names....and still there are those blinded and still votes for them! [bigcry]

wake up.....wake up [mad] [mad]

slapped left right centre...kicked up and down....called names....and still there are those blinded and still votes for them! [bigcry]

cos the 60.1% all damn gian the scholarships for locals or they damn rich can send overseas to study

I guess we just have to LLST bear with it because they have emphasized again and again that we need fresh blood to be injected into our aging population. The main argument is of course if we don't accept them, they will turn around and move to another country to compete against us.

Still, many of us have doubts about the quality of these talents & the immense pressure they exert on native sons and daughters to compete for education spaces/opportunities and jobs...

I believe that is to enforce emigration of the younger generations. :o

自作贱? <_<

Willing partner in crime? <_<

just get rid of this scholarship thing be it FT or singaporean.

nowadays, if you are a scholar, its like telling people i am atas/elite.

change the scholarship to be awarded to people who cannot afford school fees.

so next time when you tell people you are scholar, its like telling people my parents are peasent. [:p]

these few days dont see J22 around....donno where he go [confused] this kind of topic usually have j22 one [:p]

He gave up and become a FT somehwere? [laugh] [laugh]

these few days dont see J22 around....donno where he go [confused] this kind of topic usually have j22 one [:p]

you want me to slap you iszi??

i am number one enemies against FT hor [mad]

KNN come snatch our rice bowl but cannot work one. take salary higher than us and we do all their work...

what to do?? the Managing director of my company is a FT and he bring his kampong in [mad]

He gave up and become a FT somehwere? [laugh] [laugh]

I also thinking [laugh]

Err.. but i give up the chance before.. ask me go denmark to work as planning manager... Then i only fresh out start work.. i was thinking, you are what kind of head hunting company?? i only start work less than 1 month.. you ask me go be planning manager.. so i can be fired cuttle fish [laugh]

you want me to slap you iszi??

i am number one enemies against FT hor [mad]

KNN come snatch our rice bowl but cannot work one. take salary higher than us and we do all their work...

what to do?? the Managing director of my company is a FT and he bring his kampong in [mad]

must call you come in to sarrpork mah [:p] come in make some noise! :D[laugh]

Ok folks our senior parliamentary secretary was also "misquoted" & she will make a clarification soon [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

In an case HMA automatically comes into play for them <_<

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_770423.html

Foreign scholars: 67% scored high honours

Published on Feb 25, 2012

I REFER to recent media reports and letters from the public about the quality of international students and scholarship holders in our universities.

The Ministry of Education (MOE) agrees that the quality of international scholarship holders is important.

In the reply to a question raised in Parliament on Jan 9, MOE had explained that for the 2011 university graduating cohort, about 45 per cent of all international students were awarded second

upper class honours and above. Subsequently, in the parliamentary session on Feb 17, Senior Parliamentary Secretary Sim Ann cited this statistic in response to a query about the quality of international scholarship holders.

For those on scholarship, the proportion getting second upper class honours and above is higher than the average of 45 per cent, which is the proportion for all international students.

This is because international scholarship holders are subject to even more stringent selection and renewal criteria. The academic performance of each scholarship holder is closely monitored and the scholarship will be withdrawn if the scholarship holder's performance is not satisfactory.

For the 2011 university graduating cohort, the proportion of international scholarship holders awarded second upper class honours and above was 67 per cent.

Ms Sim will be making this clarification at the next parliamentary sitting.

Han Liang Yuan (Ms)

Director, Corporate Communications

Ministry of Education

↡ Advertisement