Question on respraying car to different color

Vega

Turbocharged

If I want to respray the car to a diff color, does the workshop needs to remove parts in the engine bay, including the engine?

How much will it cost?

And how long is the down time?

↡ Advertisement

They painter will cover the engine / components & paint the engine bay. Nobody will dare to remove parts from engine as lots of work for removal & re-instate & some parts maybe not house well (Chance is there).

Re-spray of diff colour for your ride, some painters (I have seen in Ubi / Eunos / Kaki Bt Auto Bay / Jurong Port / Dufu Lane / Kim Chuan Drive etc) don't even bother to remove the front & rear lights, fog lights & other parts but using newspapers and masking tapes & mask over it.

Changed of colour MUST inform LTA via on-line service. Don't forget !

If I want to respray the car to a diff color, does the workshop needs to remove parts in the engine bay, including the engine?

How much will it cost?

And how long is the down time?

1 week and 1k+

and you doing exterior or exterior n interior... interior.meaning the inside panels like door sill, inside boot cover, etc

Costs : depends on 2K paint or metallic paint & the skill of their work that is most important. Nos of under-coat, quality of lacquer used & skill of final buffing of paint so that you'll expect good surface finish. (Don't just judge the price as not worth it). If engine bay also need to re-spray, then can shot up to S$ 1.8 or S$ 2.2K.

Down time: Depends on the colour change (From white to black or black to white or ....) estimated between 3 to 7 working days. (Don't rush them or else the paint work very rough - paint at night with poor lights or un-even paint work done & they'll tense to rush for fast oven paint baking with short duration in order to meet your short date line)

Edited by Trafficwatch

Twincharged

I have seen before a car go and change the color totally. Interior stripped out and engine also taken out. Heard that it cost the owner more than 6k. And had to leave the car in the workshop for 2 weeks.

Do you want to take the risk of dismantling everything out to spray the bay and interior? How old is your ride?

I will consider taking this step if my ride is 10 yrs old and i decide to renew COE. I will take this opportunity to change all the hoses and rubber linings at one go. Is like giving the car a new life.

If my ride is <10yrs, forget it just spray exterior and left the bay and interior untouch. Unless u are a fussy owner and want everything sui sui inside out. But be prepared to risk getting rattling noise if things are not assembled properly.

Turbocharged

1 week and 1k+

and you doing exterior or exterior n interior... interior.meaning the inside panels like door sill, inside boot cover, etc

I will do both as i can't stand both inside and outside having diff color. Its going to be an eye sore for me.

Turbocharged

Costs : depends on 2K paint or metallic paint & the skill of their work that is most important. Nos of under-coat, quality of lacquer used & skill of final buffing of paint so that you'll expect good surface finish. (Don't just judge the price as not worth it). If engine bay also need to re-spray, then can shot up to S$ 1.8 or S$ 2.2K.

Down time: Depends on the colour change (From white to black or black to white or ....) estimated between 3 to 7 working days. (Don't rush them or else the paint work very rough - paint at night with poor lights or un-even paint work done & they'll tense to rush for fast oven paint baking with short duration in order to meet your short date line)

My current color is white and I am struggling to maintain it. Thinking of changing to a darker color but not black.

Any good workshop to recommend.

Turbocharged

I have seen before a car go and change the color totally. Interior stripped out and engine also taken out. Heard that it cost the owner more than 6k. And had to leave the car in the workshop for 2 weeks.

I have seen cars doing restoration and the owner left the car at the workshop for six months.

Turbocharged

Do you want to take the risk of dismantling everything out to spray the bay and interior? How old is your ride?

I will consider taking this step if my ride is 10 yrs old and i decide to renew COE. I will take this opportunity to change all the hoses and rubber linings at one go. Is like giving the car a new life.

If my ride is <10yrs, forget it just spray exterior and left the bay and interior untouch. Unless u are a fussy owner and want everything sui sui inside out. But be prepared to risk getting rattling noise if things are not assembled properly.

My ride is about two n half yr old and its full of stone chips. My greatest concern is the rattling noise if they need to strip bear my ride.....

My ride is about two n half yr old and its full of stone chips. My greatest concern is the rattling noise if they need to strip bear my ride.....

Same here, my greatest concern is rattling noise after the respray. Solve one problem, but create another one...

And 2.5 yrs old is still pretty new ride. To me, doing such a major job on pretty new car i can only entrust AD workshop. Think twice bro.

Turbocharged

And 2.5 yrs old is still pretty new ride. To me, doing such a major job on pretty new car i can only entrust AD workshop. Think twice bro.

My AD workshop paint dept is hopeless. My front n rear bumpers turn yellowish and I claimed warranty for paint work defects. After half a yr, the yellowish return and it even get worse. Since my three yr warranty is going to finish, I am going to respray the whole car.

One more question, how bad will the change of color affect the resale price of the car?

i think this is just a tactic to lower sales price

white and black are the 2 colours that will actually lower your car price due to lesser demand of this 2 colours.. and people pay extra for pearl white [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Just done my car respray with Lee & Soon for the second time. Change colour. Mr Toh and his son Charlie are very helpful. Outstanding quality at very good price! You can view my experience at www.projectdelsol.blogspot.com Pictures included in blog. Cheers!

↡ Advertisement