Bring DVDs and BDs back to SG will have problem?

Pocus

I'm coming back to SG soon and during my vacation I bought loads of DVDs and BDs as their local HMV store having clearance.

As I'm packing now, I realised I had over 14 DVD cases in my lugguage!

Will I get into trouble in customs? I know if it's 3 ot 4 I'm safe as I've done it before but 14 boxes!!!

Anyone done it before? Got problem?

My DVDs and BDs are originals with the country's approved ratings (all non-R rated)

crossing my fingers [:(]

↡ Advertisement

I'm coming back to SG soon and during my vacation I bought loads of DVDs and BDs as their local HMV store having clearance.

Will I get into trouble in customs? I know if it's 3 ot 4 I'm safe as I've done it before but 14 boxes!!!

My DVDs and BDs are originals with the country's approved ratings (all non-R rated)

Don't quite understand about DVDs and BDs. Can I presume they are recorded video or audio disks. BD as in Blank Disks??

Can be more specific?

u must proof tat all r used disc, else they will gst u lol

keep the receipt handy when you come back. They may tax you for GST. Btw you didn't cross over the $400 mark right?

keep the receipt handy when you come back. They may tax you for GST. Btw you didn't cross over the $400 mark right?

you mean the DVDs/BDs? maybe I did... I dunno.... if GST LL but important is they dun confiscate my stuff...

yeah I still have the receipts....does that mean I won't be taxed?

Edited by Pocus

both of u wrong.

new budget is $300.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/Dut...+GST+Relief.htm

Goods and Services Tax Relief

You can enjoy GST relief up to the following values of goods, excluding cigarettes, tobacco, liquors and petroleum products.

You have been away from Singapore for

Less than 24 hours

S$50

24 to less than 48 hours

S$150

48 hours or more

S$300

Such goods include new articles, souvenirs, gifts and food preparation which are for your personal use and not meant for sale.

Holders of a work permit, employment pass, student pass, dependent pass or long-term pass issued by the Singapore Government and crew members are NOT eligible for GST relief.

You have to pay the taxes on goods exceeding your GST relief and on goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons. GST is levied on the value of the goods, which may include the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) plus other chargeable costs and the duty payable (if applicable).

It is your responsibility to make an accurate and complete declaration of all goods exceeding your duty-free concession and GST relief in your possession, including goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons.

If you did not make a declaration at the Red Channel or pay the taxes due, you can be prosecuted in court and fined up to $10,000 and imprisonment for up to three years. For more information on Customs offences, please click here.\

Note for movies: They may have to be surrended to censors board for rating. So u must leave there for a few days and collect from censors board

Edited by Mllcg

you mean the DVDs/BDs? maybe I did... I dunno.... if GST LL but important is they dun confiscate my stuff...

yeah I still have the receipts....does that mean I won't be taxed?

mllcg posted the excerpt liao. it means that beyond your personal GST relief of $300, you will be charged GST. in total the DVD and BD didn't exceed $300 right?

bd is bluray la

Thank you for clarifying. [laugh] I am still trying to cope with jargon and abbreviation used by the young of today. [dizzy]

Reason is because DVD and BD containing recorded videos are considered prohibited items and subject to examination for approval by BFC which is under the purview of MDA.

GST is the least one should be concerned about in this case since prohibited items which are not voluntarily declared can be considered as 'smuggling' which violates the customs law.

other than GST, your discs might be subjected to screening by BFC and you might have to pay for the "service" too.

the "service" is free if it is already a title in the database.

if its not, then must pay.

Simplifying GST import relief for incoming travellers

With effect from 1 Apr 2012, the GST import relief for travellers bringing goods into Singapore will be simplified. Inbound travellers, regardless of their ages, who have spent time outside Singapore for at least 48 hours will be given GST import relief of $600, while those who have been away for less than 48 hours will be given GST import relief of $150.

This is what I am talking about.

Simplifying GST import relief for incoming travellers

With effect from 1 Apr 2012, the GST import relief for travellers bringing goods into Singapore will be simplified. Inbound travellers, regardless of their ages, who have spent time outside Singapore for at least 48 hours will be given GST import relief of $600, while those who have been away for less than 48 hours will be given GST import relief of $150.

This is what I am talking about.

walau meaning going JB for grocery only $150 relief per head nia. [knife]

walau meaning going JB for grocery only $150 relief per head nia. [knife]

You have been away from Singapore for

Less than 24 hours

S$50

Currently, If you go to JB or Batam in morning and return on the same day (less than 24 hrs) you are only entitled to GST relief of $50.00. And for those who are below 18 years, there is no GST relief if he has been away from Singapore for less than 24 hrs.

↡ Advertisement