Lending car to friends

Angeloc

Neutral Newbie

What if you lend your car to your friend and unfortunately he gets into an accident and he is at fault? How will the claiming go about? The other party claim from your friends pocket?

↡ Advertisement

What if you lend your car to your friend and unfortunately he gets into an accident and he is at fault? How will the claiming go about? The other party claim from your friends pocket?

claim between you and other party

then how you want to claim from you friend is between you and your friend...

alternatively, dun claim insurance if you friend is willing and can afford to pay the repair bill

With today's soaring insurance premiums, it is never advisable to lend your vehicle to another and ALWAYS advisable to avoid accidents AT ALL COSTS through safe/defensive and courteous driving.

In ans to your questions:

1) Claim will be made against your motor insurance policy.

2) You will have to pay for damages of both vehicles through your policy.

3) You will have to pay the excess and perhaps claim from your friend Be prepared to lose or have your NCD reduced if you have 50% NCD.

4) At the same time, be prepared to pay higher premium come next renewal.

5) It is imperative that you make an accident report to your insurance company authorised workshop together with your friend and remember to bring along the insurance certificate.

However, if damage is not serious and compensation and repairs affordable, try to arrange private settlement to avoid items 1-4.

If private settlement is possible, attach the agreement to complement your report.

Good luck! [wave]

Edited by Neutralsg

Best solution, don't land yourself in that sticky situation.

My so called best friend was jilted back in 2000 and kept pestering me to allow him behind the wheel. (And it was my mom's car btw....)

Ended up crashing the car and the repair cost was 11K (insurance covered part of it, I had to fork out the rest).... and his response? A thumbsup !! wa!! good brother!! we're friends for life...

Well thank god we're no longer acquainted

you all are scaring the poor lady :D

Nah. Should not be perceived in such matter. It is a fact that many of us would worry should such incident happen to us.

Sharing the woes of driving price in Singapore (especially through unfair practices of some insurance companies) and providing whatever advices/ answers we can best provide base on own experiences is not tantamount to scaring another.

Have a nice day! [wave]

Nah. Should not be perceived in such matter. It is a fact that many of us would worry should such incident happen to us.

Sharing the woes of driving price in Singapore (especially through unfair practices of some insurance companies) and providing whatever advices/ answers we can best provide base on own experiences is not tantamount to scaring another.

Have a nice day! [wave]

but it happened liao.... so advice given is advice too late [:)]

but it happened liao.... so advice given is advice too late [:)]

There is a saying, it is never too late to learn. Besides advice, there are answers too, to answers sought. [wave]

But your nick is KaKiLang.... :D

No lah; he sold his car, pocket the money and want to borrow mine. :angry:

Get into accident den my premium up, he sweep backside any walkaway, somemore I know his driving sucks. [laugh]

Slow and road hogger. Mai lah. Sekali my number plate appear in mcf.

Edited by KaKiLang

Sometimes lending a car lands you in tricky situations within the family, so I prefer not to lend my humble ride to anyone. Either they drive when am with them in the same car or they hitch a ride with me.

I have known people who bought a car without having a license and still had the guts to come and borrow my ride(just for the sake of it!). Hell No way!

Actually it's all depends on how well you know the other person's driving skills and experience. Sometimes also depends on the luck of the person, cause even you have very good driving experience and skills, but others people bang onto you, you also cannot blame the person la.

The other party will make the claim against your insurer. You can also make the claim against your insurer for your own repair. You probably just lost a friend.

Obviously the other party will claim from the car insurance.

Unless your friend also has car insurance, then can claim from his own insurances.

↡ Advertisement