DPM Teo: Singapore's population at demographic turning point

CKP

Singapore's population at "demographic turning point": DPM Teo

By Imelda Saad | Posted: 01 March 2012 1626 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Singapore government is taking a comprehensive look at its population policies in view of the country's changing demographics.

Even as it does this, it is introducing measures to better help parents with the cost of raising a child and helping foreign spouses sink their roots here.

Speaking in Parliament during the Committee of Supply Debate for the Prime Minister's Office, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean announced enhancements to the Child Development Account.

Under the scheme introduced in 2001, parents set up a deposit account for their child.

The government matches the deposit one-for-one, up to a cap of S$18,000 per child, depending on the child's birth order.

The money can be used for the developmental needs of the child, up to age six, in areas such as child care, kindergarten and health care.

The enhanced scheme will expend the scope of this account to cover expenses at pharmacies, opticians as well as assistive technology devices for children with disabilities.

The account will also last the child up till the age of 12.

The changes will be implemented in the second half of this year.

Another announcement - the introduction of a Long Term Visit Pass Plus (LTVP+) for foreign spouses of Singaporeans, especially those with Singapore children.

The new pass will be introduced from April 1, 2012.

Currently, most foreign spouses who have yet to be granted Permanent Residency or citizenship, qualify for a Long Term Visit Pass.

Under the new Long Term Visit Pass Plus, they will have greater certainty of stay.

The new pass will last for three years in the first instance and up to five years for each subsequent renewal, instead of the current shorter periods of typically one year.

Holders of the new pass will also receive health care subsidies for inpatient treatment at public hospitals, pegged at a level close to that for PRs.

That is, about the same rate as PRs even though they have not yet been granted PR status.

Holders of the Long Term Visit Pass Plus will also find it easier to work to supplement the family income.

They need only get a Letter of Consent from the Manpower Ministry to work.

This can be obtained easily online.

To qualify for the new pass, factors such as the length of marriage and whether there are citizen children in the family will be considered.

Even as Mr Teo announced new initiatives, he stressed on the need for Singapore to attract new immigrants.

He described 2012 as a "demographic turning point" for Singapore.

That's because the first cohort of post-war Baby Boomers, that is those born between 1947 and 1965, will start turning 65 from this year.

So Mr Teo said, from now till 2030, Singapore will experience an "unprecedented age shift, as over 900,000 Baby Boomers, more than a quarter of the current citizen population, retire from the workforce and enter their silver years.

Mr Teo said at the current birth rates and without immigration, more than 1 in 4 citizens will be aged 65 and over in 2030.

The median age of Singapore citizens will rise to 47 from 39 today.

And to 53, post 2030.

Fewer working adults will also support citizens aged 65 and above.

While those entering the working-age pool will shrink.

"Without immigration, we will face a shrinking workforce and the prospect of a shrinking economy. This challenging situation is compounded by the need to support a significantly larger elderly population at the same time," said Mr Teo.

Mr Teo said the most critical long term issue is to "develop a sustainable population strategy that will maintain the vitality of Singapore, strengthen our harmonious multi-ethnic society, and enable Singaporeans to achieve their life aspirations".

To this end, the National Population and Talent Division will release a White Paper by the end of the year, setting out the issues important to Singaporeans and strategies for a sustainable population.

The division will consult various stakeholders over the course of the year.

- CNA/cc/fa

More immigrant FTs.... hurray!

[cool]

↡ Advertisement

IMO, as much as we dislike immigation, we should at least maintain (not increae) current population size. But there must be a way that the retirees can benefit from the working force. Thats why I think we should have some kind of benefit pension system, where the working force directly support the retirees.

It probably means more tax, but you have to think when you retired, you get the benefit as well from younger generation. It will also lower the burden on the children of the retirees, or especially if they have no children, or their childern are not doing well.

Turbocharged

Here we go again... Same old sh*t again.. Up and down the avenue.. 4 more years and we'll be thru.. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

This means my HDB will get rental support from these incoming Long term visitors.

And private properties will Huat Big Big.

(edited)

IMO, as much as we dislike immigation, we should at least maintain (not increae) current population size.

Immigration is not "the" solution to low fertility.

And the so called population projection will be incorrect, according to the demographic expert below in his Yale lecture.

Edited by CKP

This means my HDB will get rental support from these incoming Long term visitors.

Many can be happy now, but the next generation will be the one suffering. When the population hit the plateau, properties which I reckon a big source of the GDP, & source of weath for many will hit the plateau as well.

It will be interesting how our economy can be sustain then...

And the so called population projection will be incorrect, according to the demographic expert below in his Yale lecture.

Interstibngly, I can see the yotube link in my office, which is banned.

I agree immigartion is not the long term solution, especially low quality ones. Low fertility is a problem in most 1st world country now, but I think we are one of the worst, if not the worst.

We need to relook into making people wanted more children. At the momemt, its way too expensive to raise children, & or system is not flexible enough for allowing managing work & caring for children.

In some countries, there are work package for work at home, 1/2 day, or maybe 3-4 days a week, as well as flexible work time. I know many people on such scheme, but nope from Singapore.

Also can mean will have more Long Term X mei mei at geylang . They are married to a lot of oldies in the island . [:p]

I agree immigartion is not the long term solution, especially low quality ones. Low fertility is a problem in most 1st world country now, but I think we are one of the worst, if not the worst.

We need to relook into making people wanted more children. At the momemt, its way too expensive to raise children, & or system is not flexible enough for allowing managing work & caring for children.

In some countries, there are work package for work at home, 1/2 day, or maybe 3-4 days a week, as well as flexible work time. I know many people on such scheme, but nope from Singapore.

Watch the whole 1 hour lecture.

I guarantee that you will learn more and be more enlightened that the MPs who sat in today's hearing with DPM Teo explaining population polices with his slides.

[cool]

Banned? Time to take out all the iphone and andriod phones!

hahaha last year say solly... now say need more FT liao... song bo 60.1%? SONG BO???? GET f--k IN THE ASS SONG BO???

the 60.1 still in deep slumber lar! kana gangrape by miw n the ft oso they say its just a dream.

they happy happy in their warm cosy bed until the bedframe breaks n by then it will be too late.

any of our miw from yale or not? if no then this video bo pakai one! they only listen to their own song!

i worry that this new long term visit pass will mean there'll be more prostitutes in geylang spreading viruses among singaporeans

he said need immigrants to help to support againg baby boomers, fine and they expect to increase to wat 6.5 million people. what gonna happen when these big group of additional people going to retirement age some 20 or 30 years down the road? deja vu?

↡ Advertisement