ST Forum: Not Always Easy To Work With Older Employees

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_773752.html

Not always easy to work with older employees

Published on Mar 5, 2012

WHILE I have met and worked with many older staff who are dedicated, knowledgeable and helpful, I have also encountered many who are a constant challenge to work with ('Unproductive to stereotype older staff' by Ms Kelly Fu Su Yin; last Tuesday).

Here are some instances:

↡ Advertisement

These traits exist in all age range!! FT n PR are also famous for doing such things!!

Not only in old people lah, be fair leh letter writer!!

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_773752.html

Not always easy to work with older employees

Published on Mar 5, 2012

WHILE I have met and worked with many older staff who are dedicated, knowledgeable and helpful, I have also encountered many who are a constant challenge to work with ('Unproductive to stereotype older staff' by Ms Kelly Fu Su Yin; last Tuesday).

Here are some instances:

Yup, some old ppl are really stubborn.

My own mum is one example. [laugh] She was using an old broom to sweep the floor, keep complaining the broom hair drops. So I bought her a new plastic one. She dont like n prefer to use the old broom. Then she will keep complaining abt the old broom dropping the broom hair................... <_<

Ho - next time when you reach their old age, you will behave exactly like them.

I suspect as much [laugh] [laugh]

We may already be termed 老古董 relics by our younger colleagues for what you know...

one of the departments i head, include staff well past their retirement age...yes, they are stubborn, but its the way you handled them.

I suspect as much [laugh] [laugh]

We may already be termed 老古董 relics by our younger colleagues for what you know...

You see he 1 stroke painted older people badly, like all old people who has 10 Deadly Kung Fu Skills will only depart 1 skill to him and keep 9 to the grave.

But for me, if I have 10 Deadly Kung Fu skills I will teach the next generation 11.

So he is wrong.

Hypersonic

I'm approaching silver age soon, maybe jobless too and my boss already finds me abit intolerable.. Not easy to get me agree to his decision or opinion. Likewise, I always try to hire younger staff for the reason that they are more cooperative and willing to learn.. Cycles..

Ho - next time when you reach their old age, you will behave exactly like them.

Can use the check-list to check miw? [:p]

I'm approaching silver age soon, maybe jobless too and my boss already finds me abit intolerable.. Not easy to get me agree to his decision or opinion. Likewise, I always try to hire younger staff for the reason that they are more cooperative and willing to learn.. Cycles..

Most of us were once young, energetic, full of gusto....& blissfully ignorant i.e. foolish [laugh] when we have just entered the society to work.

Those days the lau jiao must have looked at us in a different way and now some of us are doing the same to the young ones.

Was talking to a young colleague who has just joined and suddenly I realized I was repeating myself...

So for bros who have reached or are reaching the "relic" status, please take note of what the forum writer says.

There are really some truths in it...

(edited)

I am adopting your 'strategy' when it comes to employing female staff.... but my motive is unclear (not 'unclean' as originally typed, hence edited), even to myself :D

Edited by KARTer

Yup, some old ppl are really stubborn.

My own mum is one example. [laugh] She was using an old broom to sweep the floor, keep complaining the broom hair drops. So I bought her a new plastic one. She dont like n prefer to use the old broom. Then she will keep complaining abt the old broom dropping the broom hair................... <_<

Bro you are undisputed gadget king in MCF so should get her those automatic vacuum cleaners and make her life easier mah [laugh] [laugh]

:D

Most of us were once young, energetic, full of gusto....& blissfully ignorant i.e. foolish [laugh] when we have just entered the society to work.

Those days the lau jiao must have looked at us in a different way and now some of us are doing the same to the young ones.

Was talking to a young colleague who has just joined and suddenly I realized I was repeating myself...

So for bros who have reached or are reaching the "relic" status, please take note of what the forum writer says.

There are really some truths in it...

In work place, or sometimes social life, older people best talk less and just relak..... sometimes cant be helped though.....

Even in the family, older pple watching their children (ie younger people) walking the same path they (parents) took before towards big or small past disasters, also keep quiet and let the young ones learn some first hand lessons... sometimes only.

(edited)

You see he 1 stroke painted older people badly, like all old people who has 10 Deadly Kung Fu Skills will only depart 1 skill to him and keep 9 to the grave.

But for me, if I have 10 Deadly Kung Fu skills I will teach the next generation 11.

So he is wrong.

First thing first:- you only have 10 skills, so the 11th skill is a faked one or imported by FT?.... :D or this 11th skill will wipe out all the other 10 learned previously as in 'corrupted' in computer?

Anyway, older pple must 'respect' somethings the younger ones have, or even learn new tricks from them..... whether for amusement, or practical use, or mere survival, its hard to say [:)]

Edited by KARTer

(edited)

I suspect as much [laugh][laugh]

They could be old but they are wised and with plenty of experiences..... -_-

But some youngster just could not accept the facts that old & experience ppl do things causiously. In my department, the young are indeed energetic but full of c0ck-ups and the older ones have to clear their mistakes... [:(]

Edited by Picnic06
↡ Advertisement