Hougang resident files court application .........

Picnic06-Biante15

Saw Yahoo news report and was ..... hur ............ :blink:

Yahoo news report : Hougang resident files court application for PM Lee to call by-election

An Hougang resident has filed a high court application on Friday requesting the Prime Minister to call for a by-election in the ward within three months.

The 42-year old part-time cleaner, Vellama D/O Marie Muthu, filed the application via her lawyer M Ravi.

The application called for the grant of declaration that the Prime Minister does not possess the "unfettered discretion to decide when to announce by-elections in Hougang SMC and must do so within three months or within such reasonable time as this Honorable Court deems fit".

The affidavit also stated the plaintiff be granted a mandatory order enjoining the prime minister to advise the president to issue a writ of election mandating by-elections in the single member constituency.

Since Worker's Party's Yaw Shin Leong's expulsion from the party on 14 February over rumours of extra-marital affairs, the seat has been vacant. His seat was officially declared vacant on 28 February by the Speaker of Parliament after Yaw decided not to appeal the decision.

Vellama is the sole breadwinner for her family of two daughters and an alcoholic husband deemed unfit for work. She is also supporting her 77-year old wheelchair bound mother and her 52-year old diabetic sister. All are dependent on her meager monthly salary of $300.

She is receiving financial assistance from the Community Development Council (CDC).

Vellama previously voted for Yaw and was seeking his assistance to help her family. She added that "I no longer have the opportunity to do that because Hougang does not have an MP".

She expressed shock at PM Lee's response "that 'other issues on our national agenda' are more important than allowing me to exercise my right to elect a representative of my choice".

Vellama said that her frustrations are borne out of the urgency for her problems to be addressed, and she feels like a "second class citizen" having to rely on other MPs at the moment.

She had been experiencing difficulties paying her monthly mortgage installments and said the banks had threatened her with foreclosure.

What now for the MP-less Hougang SMC?

According to CNA, PM Lee said the day after Yaw's expulsion that there is no fixed time within which he must call for a by-election. He further said that there are other issues on the national agenda then. His statement was made before Budget 2012.

Vellama questioned, "Why am I denied this opportunity? Why is it taking so long for the PM to decide on this? Why is it that the PM is even saying, as I am advised, that he even has the power not to call a by-election when he says to the media that he would consider carefully 'whether

↡ Advertisement

why not

only elite can file court application is it

as a PM he must multi-task, if not why be paid millions of dollar for

(edited)

Saw Yahoo news report and was ..... hur ............ :blink:

Yahoo news report : Hougang resident files court application for PM Lee to call by-election

An Hougang resident has filed a high court application on Friday requesting the Prime Minister to call for a by-election in the ward within three months.

The 42-year old part-time cleaner, Vellama D/O Marie Muthu, filed the application via her lawyer M Ravi.

The application called for the grant of declaration that the Prime Minister does not possess the "unfettered discretion to decide when to announce by-elections in Hougang SMC and must do so within three months or within such reasonable time as this Honorable Court deems fit".

Why would a cleaner file a court compalint ???? [confused]

Her 1 vote is more important than National Agenda.... [shocked]

staged by a stooge. yah lor, ravi used her as she doesn't sound like someone who file a court order. ravi must be desperate to pull this sort of trick and can't even find a more convincing hougang resident to do it. no wonder even tre dont want to use ravi as lawyer when pm wanted to sue tre.

Edited by Toapayohkid

Supercharged

staged by a stooge. yah lor, ravi used her as she doesn't sound like someone who file a court order. ravi must be desperate to pull this sort of trick and can't even find a more convincing hougang resident to do it. no wonder even tre dont want to use ravi as lawyer when pm wanted to sue tre.

anyway, they are just exercising their rights to be represented as a citizen in a democractic country.

govt being busy with other things - not good enough a reason not to proceed with by election. they could get away with it last time because it happen in a GRC. even with grc, the justification not to have by-election is already weak.

anyway, they are just exercising their rights to be represented as a citizen in a democractic country.

govt being busy with other things - not good enough a reason not to proceed with by election. they could get away with it last time because it happen in a GRC. even with grc, the justification not to have by-election is already weak.

agree with you, hougang residents have a right. but ravi very lame in using that aunty cleaner.

pap dont care dont want to spend tax money on by election as they know would lose hougang anyway. still, they have to do it.

How can the world's best and most efficient government use the "too busy with national agenda" excuse and not hold by elections?

[laugh]

Wonder how much is Ravi charging the lady for the application?

You think she can afford legal fee meh [confused]

Vellama is the sole breadwinner for her family of two daughters and an alcoholic husband deemed unfit for work. She is also supporting her 77-year old wheelchair bound mother and her 52-year old diabetic sister. All are dependent on her meager monthly salary of $300.

Supercharged

How can the world's best and most efficient government use the "too busy with national agenda" excuse and not hold by elections?

[laugh]

haha there's no economic crisis, flood to deal with now. even the issue of the prc scholar that rocked the whole nation, govt did not have any kind of response. so cannot use the excuse too busy with national agenda [laugh]

haha there's no economic crisis, flood to deal with now. even the issue of the prc scholar that rocked the whole nation, govt did not have any kind of response. so cannot use the excuse too busy with national agenda [laugh]

maybe they are still too busy counting their loss from the salary cut and doing their own finance planning in case they lose their rice bowl in the next GE. Hence no time left.

Neutral Newbie

How can the world's best paid and most efficient government use the "too busy with national agenda" excuse and not hold by elections?

[laugh]

corrected

Supercharged

maybe they are still too busy counting their loss from the salary cut and doing their own finance planning in case they lose their rice bowl in the next GE. Hence no time left.

4 years to plan for such things? :o

How can the world's best and most efficient expensive government use the "too busy with national agenda" excuse and not hold by elections?

[laugh]

Needed to edit...

hahaha [laugh]

(edited)

Why would a cleaner file a court compalint ???? [confused]

Her 1 vote is more important than National Agenda.... [shocked]

u think a cleaner would have the mentality to think so far, putting in all perspective and knowing so much of information [sly]

Edited by Tom_kkh

4 years to plan for such things? :o

'Every family wants to provide the best for their children, send them to a good university. We were pragmatic and paid competitive salaries in order to have a continuous stream of high-calibre people become MPs, and then ministers. They put their careers at risk and underwent an uncertain and unpredictable election process.

By Mr Lee Kuan Yew

Since this is a risky career, of coz the priority will be for them to plan for their future first mah.

If i know that I will be at risk of being retrenched 4 years later, will I be planning for my future first??

after all, we are all human and most humans are known to be selfish like minimun pay for theirselve but no minimun pay for other.

Turbocharged

Vellama said that her frustrations are borne out of the urgency for her problems to be addressed, and she feels like a "second class citizen" having to rely on other MPs at the moment.

dont know why when i see this line.. i have a feeling if this is PAP ward.. ppl will be focusing on PAP making own wardless resident feel 2nd class...

so question is, why WP making her feel 2nd class. :ph34r:

u think a cleaner would have the mentality to think so far, putting in all perspective and knowing so much of information [sly]

i suspect fronting [sly]

Hypersonic

You think she can afford legal fee meh [confused]

Right. Highly suspicious, some anti-gahment using her.

↡ Advertisement