New carbon emissions-based vehicle scheme

Darthrevan

A new Carbon Emissions-Based Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) will apply to all new cars, taxis and newly imported used cars with effect from Jan 1, 2013, the Land Transport Authority said on Wednesday. This followed announcements made by Minister for Transport Lui Tuck Yew in Parliament.

Under CEVS, all new cars and imported used cars with low carbon emissions of less than or equal to 160g carbon emissions per kilometre (CO2/km) will qualify for significant rebates of between $5,000 and $20,000, which will be given as an offset against the vehicle's Additional Registration Fee (ARF) payable.

Cars with high carbon emissions equal to or more than 211g CO2/km will incur a corresponding registration surcharge between $5,000 and $20,000. The CO2/km performance data for each car model will be provided on mandatory information labels at car showrooms.

To encourage taxi companies to adopt lower emission models for their fleet, the CEVS rebate and registration surcharge for taxis is set at 50 per cent higher compared to cars, between $7,500 and $30,000.

source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Parliament/Sto...ory_774890.html

source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1187568/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

LPPL....reduce ARF payment... After ten years....the 50% PARF rebate will also be lower.

It means the resale value of the car will be lower due to lower PARF.

If gov cut COE quota in August, the COE will shoot up greatly....to even higher then the $5,000-$20,000 green rebate.

Also if the green cars are 'cheaper', then more people will want to buy, and eventually the demand will push up the COE price higher....and will equalized at COE+$5,000(or $20,000) acceptance level. Because ours is a limited closed market, the supply n demand is not elastic. So back to square one, the green car scost equally expensive as now.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

lol. finally 10k COE + carbon emission fees.

So Evo + WRX up how much? How does it applies to modified cars?

Edited by Torque6
  • Praise 1

Applies only to new cars right? Existing cars no impact or not?

Or else, grab one before 2013.

• Praise 1

according to the article..it applies only to newly registered cars..so its safe to assume that pre-owned vehicles are exempted

LPPL....reduce ARF payment... After ten years....the 50% PARF rebate will also be lower.

It means the resale value of the car will be lower due to lower PARF.

If gov cut COE quota in August, the COE will shoot up greatly....to even higher then the $5,000-$20,000 green rebate.

Also if the green cars are 'cheaper', then more people will want to buy, and eventually the demand will push up the COE price higher....and will equalized at COE+$5,000(or $20,000) acceptance level. Because ours is a limited closed market, the supply n demand is not elastic. So back to square one, the green car scost equally expensive as now.

Average estima omv @ 35k.

Hybrid @ 45k.

Normal estima / hybrid after ARF 70k, 90k.

After rebate / 70k / 70k.

Once this scheme take effects, those current hybrid owners had their cars devalued overnight

For me, I would buy a hybrid till things had been stabilized.

IMO: it doesnt pay to go green. See those current hybrid owners losing x percentage of their cars after government introduce this scheme abit too late.

Neutral Newbie

They can control $ingapore car population to go for 'Green', but cannot stop those Malaysia's non-green car from coming to our country. So, what's the point to introduce this. This is another source of income for LTA!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Or else, grab one before 2013.

2013 may never happen cos end of the world. [:p]

Turbocharged

Hybrid @ 45k.

Once this scheme take effects, those current hybrid owners had their cars devalued overnight

IMO: it doesnt pay to go green. See those current hybrid owners losing x percentage of their cars after government introduce this scheme abit too late.

If look at it at the other end, big cc cars increase in value.

Turbocharged

Hybrid @ 45k.

Turbocharged

Hybrid @ 45k.

Turbocharged

Hybrid @ 45k.

(edited)

does this translate to lower taxi fare or more buffer to push up COE price?

Also, to encourage taxi companies to adopt lower emission models, the rebates and registration surcharges for cabs is set at 50 per cent higher compared to cars - at between S$7,500 and S$30,000.

Edited by Jp66