Without_a_car

The Straits Times

www.straitstimes.com

Published on Jan 17, 2012

http://www.straitstimes.com/print/Breaking...ory_756490.html

'Foreign talent policy had effect on income gap'

Inflow hurt wage growth for some, says expert panel

By Melissa Tan

Government policies to boost the number of foreigners working here may have indirectly contributed to greater income inequality, a panel of experts said on Monday.

The wages of those on the bottom rung have tended to stagnate or even fall in real terms, even as the nation enjoyed boom times, they noted.

Mr Manu Bhaskaran, an adjunct senior research fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies, who chaired the panel, said globalisation and technological change had also led to greater income disparity.

He added that 'domestic policies have unintentionally contributed (to inequality) especially as we intensify efforts to appeal to the global elite and attract top talent to Singapore'.

http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/ips/docs/media/y...0gap_170112.pdf

FT policy may have helped widen income gap: panel

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ft-policy-may-hav...gap--panel.html

Government policies to draw foreign talent into Singapore likely helped widen the income gap in Singapore, a study by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) found.

"Rising tide of foreign workers almost certainly impacted wage growth at parts of the income distribution and thereby worsened inequality," said Manu Bhaskaran, adjunct senior research fellow at IPS who chaired a panel on "Economics: Business as usual, no longer?" for IPS

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Finally, someone somehow somewhere finally sees it...I'm 100% not voting papa in next ge...if this continue and no changes in next coming 4+ years..

Edited by CrazyPig83

Finally, someone somehow somewhere finally sees it...I'm 100% not voting papa in next ge...if this continue and no changes in next coming 4+ years..

You think MIW ivory tower will listen the academics' tower?

If singaporean can accept $1500 pay for exec position and $800 for manual labour position, tomolo first thing i hire sinkie.

the towkay has spoken...

If singaporean can accept $1500 pay for exec position and $800 for manual labour position, tomolo first thing i hire sinkie.

provided the cost of living is at 70's level.

10 cents bus fare

HedgeDeeBee flat $1,000

Chicken rice 50 cents

Kopi 20 cents

[laugh]

the towkay has spoken...

You think bosses dun want to hire locals? We constantly put out ads, no sinkie applied for the jobs. Wtf. Sinkies only want high pay, wear long sleeve shirt, sit in aircon room, work-life balance b-------t. They think they are too fcuking good for some jobs, it seems. Well, good luck. Time to get real, kids.

You think bosses dun want to hire locals? We constantly put out ads, no sinkie applied for the jobs. Wtf. Sinkies only want high pay, wear long sleeve shirt, sit in aircon room, work-life balance b-------t. They think they are too fcuking good for some jobs, it seems. Well, good luck. Time to get real, kids.

You are right towkay...

Sinkies have unrealistic expectations...

Now they know they can buy HDB with $1000 income per month, you might have more applicants...

You are right towkay...

Sinkies have unrealistic expectations...

Now they know they can buy HDB with $1000 income per month, you might have more applicants...

Why must buy? Why cannot rent? If ang moh, korean, malaysian, PRC, indian, myanmar FT and FW etc can do it, why not sinkie?

If people in HK can bring up a whole family in a tiny shared rented ROOM (not flat, mind you) and their children turn out ok, why can't sinkie?

Why for sinkies, everything also must buy, everything also must have. Why cannot be humble and start small like young people all over the world do? Got NUS/NTU/SMU degree big fcuk ah? Must wear nice nice sit in office ah? Must drive car ah? Kan nin na......

I respect those FT and FW a lot more than sinkie. These people got the guts to leave their homes and families to come here to work and tough it out. They don't mind the hardship, they don't mind the low pay as long as there is a chance of earning more next time. They work hard, striving to do better in life.

Sinkie leh? Stay in parents house, eat parents food, enjoy parents utilities, treat mother like washerwoman and maid. You ask them go overseas to find a better job, a better life, their balls shrink.

The Straits Times

www.straitstimes.com

Published on Jan 17, 2012

http://www.straitstimes.com/print/Breaking...ory_756490.html

'Foreign talent policy had effect on income gap'

Inflow hurt wage growth for some, says expert panel

By Melissa Tan

Government policies to boost the number of foreigners working here may have indirectly contributed to greater income inequality, a panel of experts said on Monday.

The wages of those on the bottom rung have tended to stagnate or even fall in real terms, even as the nation enjoyed boom times, they noted.

Mr Manu Bhaskaran, an adjunct senior research fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies, who chaired the panel, said globalisation and technological change had also led to greater income disparity.

He added that 'domestic policies have unintentionally contributed (to inequality) especially as we intensify efforts to appeal to the global elite and attract top talent to Singapore'.

http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/ips/docs/media/y...0gap_170112.pdf

FT policy may have helped widen income gap: panel

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ft-policy-may-hav...gap--panel.html

Government policies to draw foreign talent into Singapore likely helped widen the income gap in Singapore, a study by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) found.

"Rising tide of foreign workers almost certainly impacted wage growth at parts of the income distribution and thereby worsened inequality," said Manu Bhaskaran, adjunct senior research fellow at IPS who chaired a panel on "Economics: Business as usual, no longer?" for IPS

I used to believed its obvious. Now I know why so many still do not vote wisely last year. [shakehead]

I believe many/most would happily accept that if you are quoting as weekly wages [:p]

You may be aware that such comments are often from the Employers who failed to pay salary, failed to pay salary promptly. [shakehead] Not heard from others yet. [lipsrsealed]

Why must buy? Why cannot rent? If ang moh, korean, malaysian, PRC, indian, myanmar FT and FW etc can do it, why not sinkie?

If people in HK can bring up a whole family in a tiny shared rented ROOM (not flat, mind you) and their children turn out ok, why can't sinkie?

Why for sinkies, everything also must buy, everything also must have. Why cannot be humble and start small like young people all over the world do? Got NUS/NTU/SMU degree big fcuk ah? Must wear nice nice sit in office ah? Must drive car ah? Kan nin na......

I respect those FT and FW a lot more than sinkie. These people got the guts to leave their homes and families to come here to work and tough it out. They don't mind the hardship, they don't mind the low pay as long as there is a chance of earning more next time. They work hard, striving to do better in life.

Sinkie leh? Stay in parents house, eat parents food, enjoy parents utilities, treat mother like washerwoman and maid. You ask them go overseas to find a better job, a better life, their balls shrink.

You may be aware that they do not have Elites like ours

You cannot compare this way.

If a Bangla come SG work as construction site for $50/day and can save $20/day, as compared to him working in Bangla construction site for $5/day and save nothing...

Compare this with

Sgean work as construction site for $80/day and save nothing, as compared to him working in Tokyo construction site for $200/day and can save $100/day...

If I'm in this situation, I also go Tokyo...

↡ Advertisement