Class 4 micro-SD card is good enuf for Blackvue DR400

Hensony

Went to the IT Show yesterday, intending to buy a 32gb micro-SD card for my Blackvue. Was told it is advisable to get a Class 6 card. But the price diff between Class 4 and Class 6 is huge.

32gb class 4 = $39

32gb class 6 = $79

The price diff is ridiculous.

Didn't want to be a sucker. I put off the purchase. Did some research. Found out that Class 4 is good enough for HD recording. www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

I did an experiment. Took out the 4gb Class 4 micro-SD card from my Blackberry. Format it to install Blackvue firmware. Did a few minutes of normal recording. The video quality was good. No jerky recording. Everything looked good.

↡ Advertisement

My thread is about 1 year old. I expect SD card prices to drop even further.

I'll keep a lookout for SD cards in the upcoming IT Show.

Have you considered 16GB instead and go for higher class speed ?

I have a Sandisk UHS Class 1, I guess roughly class 10.

16GB is plenty for h.264 recording when the file size is about half of mpeg 2.

I didn't see much difference until the dvr occasionally hang.

It seemed to be due to the quality of the SD card when I was using another brand.

Imo, get the highest speed and stay with Sandisk. Compromise on memory size.

Anyone can shed some light on the heat resistance of these microSD cards?

Bros who took out the cards from the BV just after it shutdown would know how hot [bounce1] it is.

For continuous video recording, sequential read/write is more important than random access timings, hence it is recommended to go for a high Class rating whenever possible.

The sandisk ones are quite okay for use in such operating environments. they can withstand up to 85 degrees c.

For continuous video recording, sequential read/write is more important than random access timings, hence it is recommended to go for a high Class rating whenever possible.

The sandisk ones are quite okay for use in such operating environments. they can withstand up to 85 degrees c.

Thanks bro for the info.

Always wonder how devices can work under high temperatures.

85 degrees c is quite close to boiling point liao I must say.

Thanks bro for the info.

Always wonder how devices can work under high temperatures.

85 degrees c is quite close to boiling point liao I must say.

But that one is boiling point of water mah. Inside is still mainly plastics (for the housing), silicon and metals used for the interconnects mah.

But that one is boiling point of water mah. Inside is still mainly plastics (for the housing), silicon and metals used for the interconnects mah.

Haha that's why my science always get [thumbsdown]

SD card now so cheap.

i got several sandisk class 10 ultra 32G for about S$28 per piece at Best bargain computers (SLS)

Wow... prices have indeed fallen!

Thanks for the info.

what is the melting point for silicon ar?

Mainly it is the solder that is the weak link. These can range from 90 to 400 deg C.

So at elevated temperature sometime the solder soften and this is when you will have problem due to vibration etc.

Yup I read that some people fixed their desktop's graphics card by baking it for the solder "stick" back.

Anyway when I use class 4 sdcard for my china carcam, video works fine but the audio/video out of sync.

↡ Advertisement