Singapore Tourism Board tells Aussies to "Get Lost"

Mockngbrd

Turbocharged

Yet another sign of deteriorating English standards here... [laugh]

Anyway, "Get Lost" is like a classic phrase now, rarely heard nowadays...

(edited)

A better word would be "Getting lost", & my angmoh wasn't even the best. Seriously, our English standard is embarrassing low for a nation where English is our first language & we are taught from Kindergarten to University.

Just like the dumb "Hopeless" headline on the disadvantages.

Edited by Kiadaw

A better word would be "Getting lost", & my angmoh wasn't even the best. Seriously, our English standard is embarrassing low for a nation where English is our first language & we are taught from Kindergarten to University.

Just like the dumb "Hopeless" headline on the disadvantages.

Cause they veer from "Speak Good English Campaign" to "Speak Good Mandarin Campaign" as and when they feel like it. Most people who adapt at whichever campaign will most likely stay there and not speak well in the other language. :huh:

Is it ? I always say fo only, am I wrong?... To me, get lost = fo.... [:p]

Yeah ! You are right. "Get Lost" is actually a term to tell others to FO and stop being an irritant.

Alamak !

Well if their intention was to create controversy to get attention, then it has a backfired comically. Isn't it just easier to say 'Be surprised'? I'm no advertising guru scriptwriter but even a P6 kid would have thought of that line.

Edited by Garis

Turbocharged

Is it ? I always say fo only, am I wrong?... To me, get lost = fo.... [:p]

You're right. It's a more polite and acceptable way of saying it, because no swear words involved.

A remnant from a more "genteel" time [laugh] In those days if use the "F" word, especially in school, sure kena jialat jialat from discipline master!

(edited)

most likely they were trying to ape the Aussie "Where the hell are you?" campaign.. but the SG one's not working for me, the feel and direction is different. "Where the hell are you?" doesn't tell you to "Get Lost". Where the hell are you, feels like they are trying to find you, but get lost, just sounds like... get lost...

Edited by Mockngbrd

Yet another sign of deteriorating English standards here... [laugh]

Anyway, "Get Lost" is like a classic phrase now, rarely heard nowadays...

When we are taught to rote learn and memorise everything from age one, we gradually turn into zombies. We even rote learn languages in school. How the hell do you rote learn anything, let alone languages. Watch TV and see how we speak, look at every discussion forum, the english used is downright embarrassing. If we could even think a little, we wouldn't be making fool of ourselves with the language that we use. The truth is we don't think anymore. We have lost that ability a long time ago.

Neutral Newbie

most likely they were trying to ape the Aussie "Where the hell are you?" campaign.. but the SG one's not working for me, the feel and direction is different. "Where the hell are you?" doesn't tell you to "Get Lost". Where the hell are you, feels like they are trying to find you, but get lost, just sounds like... get lost...

I thought the orignial script was "where the bloody hell are you" until the brits stepped in and say "bloody is more brits then Aussie" or is it crude to use bloody, i cant remember

↡ Advertisement