Is COE really "fair"?

Nf0rc3r

I read in the papers parliament section yesterday the govt replied that COE should be "fair" to all categories and shouldn't be biased to, example, Small cars and that the current system is good enough.

What I realize is that they fail to mention the all scrapped cars, 25% go to Open Cat COE which in turn we all know 99% goes into Cat B which is for bigger cars.

This rule (Which don't make sense to me) is essentially making the system bias towards bigger cars.

This has resulted, if you check the statistics, the number of Cat A cars on the road has decreased by 621 (Including Taxis) from 2010 to Jan 2012

while the number of Cat B cars has increased by 11,388 or almost 5% (Let's not forget the quota for COE here is 1.5%/year so the effect is pretty huge)

Why was this rule not brought up during parliament as a case of biasness toward bigger cars.

I am not against big cars or anything just voicing my opinion on something that they blatantly missed out which contradicts their so called "fair" COE system :D

Edited by Nf0rc3r
↡ Advertisement

the COE system which is one of its kind in the world..............is in itself not fair already............how to find fairness in unfairness???........... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I read in the papers parliament section yesterday the govt replied that COE should be "fair" to all categories and shouldn't be biased to, example, Small cars and that the current system is good enough.

What I realize is that they fail to mention the all scrapped cars, 25% go to Open Cat COE which in turn we all know 99% goes into Cat B which is for bigger cars.

This rule (Which don't make sense to me) is essentially making the system bias towards bigger cars.

This has resulted, if you check the statistics, the number of Cat A cars on the road has decreased by 621 (Including Taxis) from 2010 to Jan 2012

while the number of Cat B cars has increased by 11,388 or almost 5% (Let's not forget the quota for COE here is 1.5%/year so the effect is pretty huge)

Why was this rule not brought up during parliament as a case of biasness toward bigger cars.

I am not against big cars or anything just voicing my opinion on something that they blatantly missed out which contradicts their so called "fair" COE system :D

U should ask TUCK YOU lol

COE is needed to control road usage. BUT BUT y we allow so many malaysian cars on our roads to add to the congestion! hope LTA do something on this asap! will write to MP to bring this up!

Other people buy car keep for life.

We buy car and need to scrap by end of 10 years.

Y government is controlling our asset by this piece of paper?

Like u pay tv tax and once tv tax expires, u need to return the tv back to govenment?

And before u buy tv, u need to apply Coe which itself is not a fair system which created dealers profiting from the system lumping Coe price with car price as a package.

The COE system is indeed fair.

Cos it precisely determines the controlled number of cars allowed on the roads.

The bidding system allocates COEs to those who are willing to pay to earn their right to own & drive a car.

For those who cannot afford to buy a new car, they can always buy a used car.

And if used cars are also deemed to expensive, they could consider renting a car as and when required, short term.

And if rental cars are still too expensive, they can resort to public transport / BMW.

So there are many options for transportation. You only need to select what suits you (and your pocket) right!

So no one is barred or prevented from buying a car.

It is really dependent on your financial means & affordability.

But the main crux of the matter is that Singapore's land area is fixed and new roads built have reached near saturation point.

Not EVERYONE can own a car, so the laws of economics will inevitably set in.

Only if you can afford one ...

Similarly, not everyone can own a landed property / house.

Not everyone can live in the exclusive central core districts of D9 and D10.

Not everyone can be in the top 10% salary bracket of >$500,000 p.a.

So what's new?

The same rules apply to all commodities traded in the global markets, from oil, to gold, to other precious metals.

What is a fairer system to you?

That every household be given a chance at a COE?

Then that would be bordering on communistic ideals.

Perhaps then, you might want to consider emigrating to North Korea ... probably the last bastion of altruistic Lenin-Mao Communism.

Even China has moved on. There now, money talks in a much louder voice than ever before!

The Chinese have literally embraced capitalism right at their doorsteps!

So you still whine for a "fairer" COE system, to make it easier for you to own a car?

I say wake up your ideas, pal!

Supercharged

the COE system which is one of its kind in the world..............is in itself not fair already............how to find fairness in unfairness???........... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Totally agree.

I see it as a club membership fees.

As long as the system generates revenue for the gahmen, its a 'fair'! All u guys live here for donkey years still don't know how they work?

Yes, and over the next many years, when we realise that we cannot bid for sky-high COEs any longer, and you stay out of the car-buying market, waiting .....

It will then suddenly dawn on you that you are now squatting on "the other side" - i.e., the segment of marginal owners that was intended to be sidelined in the first place!

Gone are the days of low COEs! That era had made many Singaporeans think (wrongly) that they are not in the marginal owners group, since they could still afford to buy cars.

What many may not have realized is that the real acid test for marginality is the proverbial $100K COE.

So now the time is quickly approaching.

If you feel pain to even want to buy a car now, not to mention when COEs reach >$100K, you would already have marked yourself to be in the marginal group.

There's no point waiting for COEs to fall again, cos it won't - not with a burgeoning population hitting 6.5 million soon, made up of mostly highly-paid FTs. Not only car prices, but property prices too will shoot through the roof - cooling off measures notwithstanding!

The only thing to do then, is to walk away graciously, from the car-buying/owning community.

Now you belong to "the others" ... sounds a bit Orwellan, doesn't it?

The COE system is indeed fair.

Cos it precisely determines the controlled number of cars allowed on the roads.

The bidding system allocates COEs to those who are willing to pay to earn their right to own & drive a car.

For those who cannot afford to buy a new car, they can always buy a used car.

And if used cars are also deemed to expensive, they could consider renting a car as and when required, short term.

And if rental cars are still too expensive, they can resort to public transport / BMW.

So there are many options for transportation. You only need to select what suits you (and your pocket) right!

So no one is barred or prevented from buying a car.

It is really dependent on your financial means & affordability.

But the main crux of the matter is that Singapore's land area is fixed and new roads built have reached near saturation point.

Not EVERYONE can own a car, so the laws of economics will inevitably set in.

Only if you can afford one ...

Similarly, not everyone can own a landed property / house.

Not everyone can live in the exclusive central core districts of D9 and D10.

Not everyone can be in the top 10% salary bracket of >$500,000 p.a.

So what's new?

The same rules apply to all commodities traded in the global markets, from oil, to gold, to other precious metals.

What is a fairer system to you?

That every household be given a chance at a COE?

Then that would be bordering on communistic ideals.

Perhaps then, you might want to consider emigrating to North Korea ... probably the last bastion of altruistic Lenin-Mao Communism.

Even China has moved on. There now, money talks in a much louder voice than ever before!

The Chinese have literally embraced capitalism right at their doorsteps!

So you still whine for a "fairer" COE system, to make it easier for you to own a car?

I say wake up your ideas, pal!

WAH GOOD YAH..I AGREE.. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

I suggest garment should look into up price for daily usages malaysian car entering s'pore..maybe by then our neighbouring car owner will change to ride bike in(@ least it help)

Get it into your head that Singapore is for the rich and the rich only.

The rest of us are here to feed off the rich or serve the rich. Consequently policies are tuned to benefit the rich. Don't mention that you have a vote every 5 years. That is simply useless.

Threre is no way, you, the simple individual can influence or change the policies to benefit yourself. Everything is for done the rich aand rich only.

Soon you will find that cars in Singapore to be at least a 2000cc and when tied up with the new emmissions policy, only the super rich can afford. And after that only 3000cc will roams our roads coupled with policies that suck your monies. The trend is already here. Cars with 1000cc are no longer being bought, at least not in numbers.

But take heart. These rich buggers think the ggod times will last forever. Now that the middle income has left the rat race. But eventually the rich will have to compete amongst themselves and some of them will be poor again whenn the resources dwindle down.

So do the smart thing and move to where the resource are abundant and policies kinder to you.

hdb flat is a good example for us to look at.

area size never increase but price increases close to 100k at least without any valid reasons.

even buy cars we are paying for our praf value whereby end of 10 years we are getting back. make no sense to pay for interests when you are getting back.

Fair or not, it's not up for us to say or decide. If the garment says the system is fair, so it is fair. If you dont find it fair, either you dont buy a car or migrate somewhere. <_<

is is not fair.

there should be a kei car category.

so they dont have to pay the mad <1600cc category.

maybe up to 1300cc another cat? then 1301cc to 1600 cc use the current cat A.

also, there should be an OPC category

↡ Advertisement