CNA: Employers' Concerns Considered, Says MOM

Vulcann

From CNA:

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?act=po...w_post&f=15

MAIDS' WEEKLY DAY OFF

Employers' concerns considered, says MOM

Published on Mar 13, 2012

SENTIMENTS expressed in recent Forum letters on the weekly rest day requirement for foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are largely similar to those that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) encountered during its extensive consultation exercise on the review of the FDW management framework since June last year. Some of the feedback have been incorporated, including the flexibility of mutually agreeing when rest days should fall, or compensation with a day's wage.

A few called for a reduction or removal of the levy. The levy serves to moderate demand for FDWs and ensures that only employers who need and have the financial means to hire them are able to do so.

Singapore already has one of the world's highest number of FDWs per 1,000 households. While significantly higher wages would also moderate demand and increase our attractiveness as a place to work for quality FDWs, it remains unclear that the market-determined wages of all FDWs will in fact adjust proportionately to levy reductions.

Previous levy reductions did not result in a corresponding rise in wages. The majority of households in Singapore with young children, elderly or disabled members already enjoy a $95 monthly levy concession.

Together with the $120 FDW grant for households with frail elderly people or persons with severe disabilities, these concessions are more than adequate to cover the rise in costs from compensating FDWs for working on their rest days.

Since January 2010, the MOM has already removed employers' liability if FDWs breach work permit conditions that relate to their own behaviour. The ministry does not forfeit employers' security bonds if FDWs violate their own work permit conditions, for instance, if they moonlight or get pregnant.

In reality, the ministry forfeits very few security bonds each year. We are currently reviewing the employers' obligations for medical and repatriation costs for exceptional circumstances that they have little or no control over.

Concerns have also been raised about employment terms and the activities of FDWs on their rest days. As with any employment relationship,

FDWs do negotiate for better terms, whether they have rest days or otherwise. Any change must be agreed upon by both employer and FDW.

The MOM is stepping up audits to ensure employment agencies facilitate better matches between employers and FDWs. It is also working closely with various stakeholders to educate FDWs on appropriate behaviour on their days off, and offer activities to help them spend their rest days productively.

Farah Abdul Rahim (Ms)

Director, Corporate Communications

Ministry of Manpower

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

A few called for a reduction or removal of the levy. The levy serves to moderate demand for FDWs and ensures that only employers who need and have the financial means to hire them are able to do so.

Levy is to moderate demand?

I believe most families employ maids to ease their burden at home or to take care of young child/old folks and do not agree that with the present levy some how homeowners will "moderate" their demand. To them it is simply an additional financial burden to the households.

And it is pretty clear from the authority's response "only employers who need and have the financial means to hire them are able to do so" means that only families who are affluent are in need of maids while poorer ones sorry they do need them because they simply cannot afford paying them.

If all the levies collected are for a legitimate purpose, say setting up a Maid Welfare Agency, then I guess most employers will not feel that the levies are just another guise for state's revenue collection.

Edited by Vulcann

And it is pretty clear from the authority's response "only employers who need and have the financial means to hire them are able to do so" means that only families who are affluent are in need of maids while poorer ones sorry they do need them because they simply cannot afford paying them.

they shld increase the min household income to hire a maid in the first place... alot of ppl i know cant really afford a maid but they still hire. In the end the maid suffers , because the family squeeze every drop of blood from the maid. From eating stale bread to no dinner..

When this news is out... i overheard a AA complaining big time.. Frankly, she only earn $1+k per mth, together with her hubby income... They seriously cannot afford a maid. So this come as a big thing to her..

Edited by Jrage

they shld increase the min household income to hire a maid in the first place... alot of ppl i know cant really afford a maid but they still hire. In the end the maid suffers , because the family squeeze every drop of blood from the maid. From eating stale bread to no dinner..

When this news is out... i overheard a AA complaining big time.. Frankly, she only earn $1+k per mth, together with her hubby income... They seriously cannot afford a maid. So this come as a big thing to her..

The problem is that the maid levy simply add an additional cost component to the hiring of maids. Without this punitive measure, I believe it will make live a lot easier for many households especially those poorer ones who also need their services.

Granted there will be some families who still attempt to employ them without the means to pay them, the mass majority who can are simply being penalized which is rather unfair.

Think of the bigger picture if ALL households can employ a maid...

SG population will hit 6.5 mill in no time...

good for statistical achievement bad for social cohesion.

The Levy is to restrict low income to hire maid as they are working like one so can't be entitled to have one.

Truth hurts...

Edited by Tigerwoods

Think of the bigger picture if ALL households can employ a maid...

SG population will hit 6.5 mill in no time...

good for statistical achievement bad for social cohesion.

The Levy is to restrict low income to hire maid as they are working like one so can't be entitled to have one.

Truth hurts...

My argument is that the poor also need to work like their rich counterparts and if they have worked out their finances and able to squeeze out some money to take care of their young or elderly then the state should not impose the levy on folks like them.

My argument is that the poor also need to work like their rich counterparts and if they have worked out their finances and able to squeeze out some money to take care of their young or elderly then the state should not impose the levy on folks like them.

it started from the 90s Singapore is trying to transform to a place for the well heeled.

if you are low income group, you have to find a way to dig out of this hole to a nicer one.

But sorry maids are for those who can afford.

Elites will laugh if they hear a story of their servants have maids at home...

Since when did domestic help becomes a basic need ?

It seems common that many households employ maids but not all need them lah so I do not think it is a basic need. Knowing getting and employing maid is costly, I am sure most folks do not employ them to just arrange newspapers and magazines at home [rolleyes]

We have never employed a maid to date but able to survive without one raising our two kids. Just a matter of time management and getting them into childcare centres during day time. But many are unable to do that so may need maids to assist them.

One maid looking after 3 kids is cheaper than child care fees...

Obiviously, u don't have children in childcare. Childcare are closed at less 10 days in a yr. Also when the child is sick, also can't go school. When there is hmfd in the centre then it closes for another 10 days. Actually many household still send their children to school even when they have a maid because as long they need to work , they need someone to attend to the children.

It must be discouraged for low income households unless absolutely necessary. It's not just about the salary and levy -- easily $700-800, its also providing the helper's living needs with dignity -- not giving her bare minimal, starving her, and work 24/7, sleep in kitchen with no personal space. Not slavery.

No one can guarantee that maids will be treated humanely or paid timely even if they are being employed by more affluent families. Just like us paid employees are not guaranteed our pay cheques at the end of every month.

I also find it distasteful that some maids are ill-treated by their animal employers and the full brunt of the law should be applied to these clowns but the argument here is should maid levy be imposed to make it so much more expensive to hire a maid, other than the official stance that is to "moderate demand"?

Hypersonic

No one can guarantee that maids will be treated humanely or paid timely even if they are being employed by more affluent families. Just like us paid employees are not guaranteed our pay cheques at the end of every month.

I also find it distasteful that some maids are ill-treated by their animal employers and the full brunt of the law should be applied to these clowns but the argument here is should maid levy be imposed to make it so much more expensive to hire a maid, other than the official stance that is to "moderate demand"?

Levy just like COE mah. The higher the levy, the lower the demand. However, we all know what the levy is for. <_<

Levy is to moderate demand?

I believe most families employ maids to ease their burden at home or to take care of young child/old folks and do not agree that with the present levy some how homeowners will "moderate" their demand. To them it is simply an additional financial burden to the households.

If all the levies collected are for a legitimate purpose, say setting up a Maid Welfare Agency, then I guess most employers will not feel that the levies are just another guise for state's revenue collection.

Moderate demand?...Highlight in bold....what if the levy is used to pay the FDW instead... would that not ensure that only the affluent, according to Ms MOM official would be able to pay for the use of a maid?...and the employers still have to pay the same upfront...but o their own employee instead...

Don't tell me.... .the piece of CB plastic WP card..cost $265 X 12 X2...$6360 to make and just to keep the record for 2 years? [laugh]

Not only that...with better overall pay....maids will be MORE MOTIVATED to give better quality workmanship in their job scope...

CB Sinkie gov...twist words here and there... somemore say..after extensive consultation...who the fark did they consult...they themselves and their own cronies?.. and in the end ...never answer the real question as to what fark the levy serves except to serve their own axx holes....pockets...of 12 mths bonus or more...every year...

Even newly minted Mini Star of State already behaves this way...

No wonder ..

Ordinary Sinkie always kenna screwed! :D

Levy just like COE mah. The higher the levy, the lower the demand. However, we all know what the levy is for. <_<

Give you an idea with figures... $$$

Assuming the average levy works out to be 265 + 170 /2 = $217.5 per month..which is on the low side... the more accurate number should be $230 /mth..

There are more than 120,000 FDW here..

Total levy collected...per month...which means

$27,600,000 or in simpler way to view this..

$27.6 MILLION PER MONTH or more ( not less)!!

Moderate demand?...Highlight in bold....what if the levy is used to pay the FDW instead... would that not ensure that only the affluent, according to Ms MOM official would be able to pay for the use of a maid?...and the employers still have to pay the same upfront...but o their own employee instead...

Don't tell me.... .the piece of CB plastic WP card..cost $265 X 12 X2...$6360 to make and just to keep the record for 2 years? [laugh]

Not only that...with better overall pay....maids will be MORE MOTIVATED to give better quality workmanship in their job scope...

CB Sinkie gov...twist words here and there... somemore say..after extensive consultation...who the fark did they consult...they themselves and their own cronies?.. and in the end ...never answer the real question as to what fark the levy serves except to serve their own axx holes....pockets...of 12 mths bonus or more...every year...

Even newly minted Mini Star of State already behaves this way...

No wonder ..

Ordinary Sinkie always kenna screwed! :D

i agree....maid levy collected for what huh? what does MOM do with it? i would also rather the levy goes towards increasing the maid salary....win-win for all...maid work hard, employer happy....

they consult themselves over teabreak then ask corporate comms to issue statement.....that poor fellow kena shoot by many pple....

same like COE & ERP...to regulate car population & traffic situation...haha....now seeing more luxury cars on the roads...many new SKx plates of BMW, Benz & Audi.....the rich gets richer, the middle gets more butter and the poor gets poorer...Richer, Butter & Poorer....

Turbocharged

I don't know about you guys, but I have a strong belief that everyone can grow up well without maids or tuition teachers.

I am not sure when did maid or tuition teachers became a basic necessity.

If this trend goes on, I think the next "basic neccessity" are fitness instructors/ personal trainers. Everyone just want to eat and eat, lazy to walk, so just spend money set up home gym and get the instructor in for themselves and their obese kids.

Edited by Icedbs

Neutral Newbie

Your employer live with you and feed you food meh ? The domestic helper live with you and eat what you give wor. If you feel you are underpaid, you can resign and seek a new job, the helpers here are tied to a contract with the agent, going without salary for months.

In Hong Kong, they are are paid higher so they can pay for rent and food. But people are already complaining domestic helpers are too expensive here even without paying for rent/food ? What does it say about employers in SG ?

In Hong Kong, They dont need to pay levy thus they can offer higher pay.

I am willing to pay FDW higher if i dont have to pay levy.

You are right the agent are the a$$hole, they did nothing yet pockets 7 month of the FDW pay like the MOM who collect levy.

I dont mind if MOM collect levy and they used the money collected for some activites or event for the FDW like COE what do they do with the money that they collect?

↡ Advertisement