Sun Xu to retain his MOE scholarship?

Kage

after making such undesirable remarks on singapore and singaporeans and still not being expelled by the uni.

plus his scholarship and expense here are sponsored using singaporeans money.

Sun Xu is right!!!

there's more dogs(走狗) than humans here.

Edited by Unidentified

after making such undesirable remarks on singapore and singaporeans and still not being expelled by the uni.

plus his scholarship and expense here are sponsored using singaporeans money.

Sun Xu is right!!!

there's more dogs(走狗) than humans here.

In the meantime, Singaporean men who are serving NS and made disparaging remarks about SAF will go DB and have their rights to enter Unis revoked.

I think at the very least, he should have part of his scholarship revoked.. E.g. for the rest of the 2 months in NUS, he has to pay full fees. A very small punishment but it sets the tone for other potential ingrates.

Turbocharged

Come on. How can we be Uniquely Singapore if we don't give scholarship to people who slap our national identity? Nowhere else in the world man. Turn the other cheek please.

this outcome is expected. who in the right mind really believe that NUS has the balls to expel ....sekali all the PRC students have a "sit-in" in chancellor office.

[laugh] so it's corrected we are dogs.

PAP is also dogs..that means it will include the PM... all minsters..president etc? [grin]

The unemployed engineer was charged in court, fined for "inciting" violence..nearly jailed.

he most prob lost his job after his irresponsible statement in fb & will have trouble feeding his family

This? Well done SG.

Turbocharged

Call me trashy FT if you wish, but I think this is the right decision.

The "only" thing he did wrong was to be ungrateful, uncouth and rude.

If he can be expelled for that, it would be a sad day - not only for the concept of academic freedom, but also for our pride as a nation. After all, if one upstart rudearse student can bully you all so easily with a few online comments, what does it say about you?

I generally don't like to cite America, because I think they're imperalistic a------es, but the one thing that keeps coming to mind is the thought that true pride in the American flag means you allow others to piss on it. Why? Because the American flag is supposed to stand for freedom of expression - which includes the freedom to hold stupid opinions.

This student has done his studies, and is passing - if you are going to curtail his education because he ranted (and let's face it - which of us hasn't) rudely - what does that say about us? Except that we are over sensitive and can't face any criticism.

Further - if you can expel a student for unpopular thoughts, it's not very good for free examination and discourse in an educational setting - what if people were to start censoring their thoughts - is that good for future research and development?

Turbocharged

The unemployed engineer was charged in court, fined for "inciting" violence..nearly jailed.

he most prob lost his job after his irresponsible statement in fb & will have trouble feeding his family

This? Well done SG.

Yeah - except the engineer did was much worse, specifically targeting our leaders, and putting them at the end of a pistol - further, the penalty he got was at the low end of the spectrum becasue the judge accepted that he acted out of immaturity and narcisscim rather than malice.

So why shouldn't Sun also get a "lesser sentence" if the University accepts it was an angry rant?

Call me trashy FT if you wish, but I think this is the right decision.

The "only" thing he did wrong was to be ungrateful, uncouth and rude.

If he can be expelled for that, it would be a sad day - not only for the concept of academic freedom, but also for our pride as a nation. After all, if one upstart rudearse student can bully you all so easily with a few online comments, what does it say about you?

I generally don't like to cite America, because I think they're imperalistic a------es, but the one thing that keeps coming to mind is the thought that true pride in the American flag means you allow others to piss on it. Why? Because the American flag is supposed to stand for freedom of expression - which includes the freedom to hold stupid opinions.

This student has done his studies, and is passing - if you are going to curtail his education because he ranted (and let's face it - which of us hasn't) rudely - what does that say about us? Except that we are over sensitive and can't face any criticism.

Further - if you can expel a student for unpopular thoughts, it's not very good for free examination and discourse in an educational setting - what if people were to start censoring their thoughts - is that good for future research and development?

you are indeed a trashy FT [laugh]