Are U responsible? Dont get caught those doing part-time

Scb11980

Tue, Mar 13, 2012

The New Paper

When her employers leave their condominium for work in the morning, Tara's heart beats faster. Because it is time to meet her boyfriend.

Despite her employers not giving her a day off for fear that she will mix with bad company or find a boyfriend, the maid has found an admirer.

The 23-year-old Filipina, who declines to give her full name, says she is dating one of the condominium's security guards.

"He works the night shift and we meet in the morning after my employers go to work," reveals Tara, who came to Singapore two years ago.

Every morning, her employers send their two children to pre-school before going to work. She is then left alone at home with the kids' elderly grandmother.

Tara, who has to walk the dog and go to the market in the mornings, takes the opportunity to meet her boyfriend during that time.

She believes her employers do not know about her boyfriend.

On two occasions when the grandmother was not home, Tara even invited her boyfriend to her employers' three-bedroom condominium unit.

"I was very scared that someone would come home suddenly. So I stopped inviting him. We just meet outside now. We go to the park nearby. Few people go there because it's very hot," says Tara. "I cannot let my employers know I have a boyfriend or they will send me back to the Philippines, and I need my job here."

Tara says her employers have read about the recent news of a Bangladeshi man and a Filipino maid found dead in a Geylang hotel. They warned her about having a boyfriend here.

"They said that things often go bad for people like us who fall in love here," says Tara, who started dating only six months ago.

"I don't think this will happen to me. My boyfriend is very nice to me."

Tara does not see the need to tell her employers about her boyfriend, and feels that even though she works here as a maid, she deserves to have some degree of privacy.

"Maids are human beings and we have feelings too. It is natural to fall in love," says Tara, who is married in the Philippines and has a four-year-old son with her Filipino husband.

"I still love my husband and my son. But I am all alone in Singapore and I need someone here too, because I need to stay and work here for many years to support my family back home."

Tara smiles shyly when she tells this reporter how caring her boyfriend has been.

"He takes me to the supermarket on his motorbike. Before, I had to walk under the hot sun and carry the heavy groceries home by myself. He also helps to top up my phone card and recently, he bought me an iPhone so that I can surf the Internet, watch videos and log on to Facebook," reveals Tara.

She keeps her rendezvous with her boyfriend to two hours as she needs to get lunch ready before the kids come home at 12pm.

Like most maids, Tara is hired to take care of the children and the elderly in the family. She does all the household chores and ensures that the home is spick-and-span when her employers return home from work at 7pm.

On her employers' advice on staying in so she can avoid "bad company", she says: "I don't know what they mean by bad company. They don't realise that I need friends too. I like to go to the supermarket, where I meet other maids. We all understand each other," says Tara.

"Many maids have boyfriends. We will introduce friends to each other and take care of each other, whether or not we have a day off.

"New maids who come here will be given a day off. I am not so lucky. My employers will only give me $20 more for each Sunday I work."

Tara says she used to think highly of Singaporean employers before she came here. But after working here for two years and hearing the stories of other maids, she does not think that Singaporeans make good employers.

She explains: "My employers read all my letters I write to my family and those that they send to me. They don't give me any privacy at all. I feel that I have no rights working here. How can anyone be working without a rest day?

"They scold me all the time and call me 'stupid' behind their children's back. But in front of their children and friends, they seem very nice to me."

Tara recalls how she would often cry herself to sleep in her first year here.

But she soon learnt how to handle her employers' complaints and scolding.

Even though she does not have a rest day, she manages to take afternoon naps inside the bathroom.

Occasionally, Tara amuses herself by trying on her female employer's dresses and taking photos of herself with her iPhone.

"Sometimes I hide in the bathroom to watch videos on my iPhone. I love my iPhone so much and I cannot let my employers know I have one. They will take it away from me. I keep too many secrets inside my iPhone."

↡ Advertisement

Oh no.

This is really a true confession.

It will get worst come 2013. Those who have young and horny maids will have to worry.

no worry....master could just say come to me [rolleyes]

If all are working and no one at home during the day, i believe most maids will do something "illegal", cause nobody will know what they do at home. [rolleyes]

Supercharged

If all are working and no one at home during the day, i believe most maids will do something "illegal", cause nobody will know what they do at home. [rolleyes]

Install hidden cameras at home.......

Aiyah, they are humans with real needs/ urges, just like us. And they know they can play the field in a foreign land while their husbands never know about these affairs. What to do? If don't hire Pinoy maids, then hire China ones lor, then all hell will break loose at home.

Turbocharged

i agree with what the maid says... Singaporeans are bad employers

miserable pays, no rest days (for now)

no wonder they are flocking to HK... maybe can get PRs there too

Turbocharged

Looking at the response here so far, no wonder maids think singaporeans are bad employers.

Come on la you guys.....can treat your maid with some human rights or not? If not, then don't hire la.

Why do you all want to ill-treat another human being?

Looking at the response here so far, no wonder maids think singaporeans are bad employers.

Come on la you guys.....can treat your maid with some human rights or not? If not, then don't hire la.

Why do you all want to ill-treat another human being?

What kind of responses are you expecting to an article telling us how a maid neglects her duties and cheats on her husband during working hours?

If you slipped off during office hours to have sex in the toilet, would your boss praise you?

Neutral Newbie

yeh, one of their top choices , HK pay is higher then Sin too

Agreed, if i am also a maid, confirm will go HK rather than s'pore. Most S'pore employers really bad , they want good and cheap maid. [:|]

↡ Advertisement