ST Forum: Horror Ride Down Cameron Highlands

Vulcann

Drove up CH about three years back and took the so-called new route.

Quite scary as what the writer described of vehicles overtaking on the steep slopes against on-coming traffic on the opposite lane. [shakehead]

The drive there itself was already very tiring for us and coupled with heart-stopping moments of fully-loaded trucks and buses coming your way from the opposite lane was no joke... [sweatdrop]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_777229.html

Horror ride down Cameron Highlands

Published on Mar 14, 2012

I AM writing in to share my family's recent harrowing experience while returning on a Five Stars Tours coach from Cameron Highlands to Singapore.

On the descent from Cameron Highlands, the driver negotiated the mountain bends at high speed, causing the coach to tilt as it lurched left and right. Ahead of a mountain bend, he overtook a vehicle in front despite oncoming traffic.

Alarmed, I appealed to him to drive more carefully, but he replied that he was behind schedule. I appealed to the relief driver sitting in a passenger seat behind him to advise his colleague to drive more carefully.

To my horror, the driver turned around to stare at us, taking his eyes off the road while the bus was speeding down the mountain. I shouted at him to keep his eyes on the road, but he continued staring at me for a few seconds before he stepped on the brakes and told me to take over if I was dissatisfied.

I telephoned the Singapore head office of Five Stars Tours to relate the incident, and it arranged for the relief driver to take over until we reached an interchange location where a transfer of coach was arranged.

Yang Zhiren

↡ Advertisement

Drove up CH about three years back and took the so-called new route.

Quite scary as what the writer described of vehicles overtaking on the steep slopes against on-coming traffic on the opposite lane. [shakehead]

The drive there itself was already very tiring for us and coupled with heart-stopping moments of fully-loaded trucks and buses coming your way from the opposite lane was no joke... [sweatdrop]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_777229.html

Horror ride down Cameron Highlands

Published on Mar 14, 2012

I AM writing in to share my family's recent harrowing experience while returning on a Five Stars Tours coach from Cameron Highlands to Singapore.

On the descent from Cameron Highlands, the driver negotiated the mountain bends at high speed, causing the coach to tilt as it lurched left and right. Ahead of a mountain bend, he overtook a vehicle in front despite oncoming traffic.

Alarmed, I appealed to him to drive more carefully, but he replied that he was behind schedule. I appealed to the relief driver sitting in a passenger seat behind him to advise his colleague to drive more carefully.

To my horror, the driver turned around to stare at us, taking his eyes off the road while the bus was speeding down the mountain. I shouted at him to keep his eyes on the road, but he continued staring at me for a few seconds before he stepped on the brakes and told me to take over if I was dissatisfied.

I telephoned the Singapore head office of Five Stars Tours to relate the incident, and it arranged for the relief driver to take over until we reached an interchange location where a transfer of coach was arranged.

Yang Zhiren

Take the old route. It is so twisty and narrow that everyone is forced to slow down. The new route's sweeping curves encourage drivers to be more reckless. Therefore, the old route is safer, relatively.

Must be the company do not hire enough drivers or not enough coaches or both. Packing the existing drivers into a tight schedule. Typical of the company to cut cost and maximise profits. Passenger safety becomes compromised.

(edited)

Take the old route. It is so twisty and narrow that everyone is forced to slow down. The new route's sweeping curves encourage drivers to be more reckless. Therefore, the old route is safer, relatively.

Ironic hor? After listening to my M'sian friends and other locals who had been there and back saying that the old route was used by many lorries therefore unsafe so we took the new but "Final Destination"-feeling route [shocked] [shocked]

MY BIL who was with us came down via the old route and like what you said it was safer.

In any case, I was not impressed with CH maybe I have got high expectations prior so unlikely to make the torturous journey there and up the scary slopes in the near future.

Edited by Vulcann

it is all relative

tell them to be careful at formula one

those drivers habitually are always behind time

tell them to our local bus driver

they tell you they are lost and take a new route

tell them our local train driver

they tell you they lost a few cable ties

That's why I never like to take coach to malaysia. Rather drive myself. Why entrust your life to the hands of another, who may be drunk, tired, high on drugs, rushed for time, no license or just plain reckless?

Ironic hor? After listening to my M'sian friends and other locals who had been there and back saying that the old route was used by many lorries therefore unsafe so we took the new but "Final Destination"-feeling route [shocked] [shocked]

MY BIL who was with us came down via the old route and like what you said it was safer.

In any case, I was not impressed with CH maybe I have got high expectations prior so unlikely to make the torturous journey there and up the scary slopes in the near future.

It is like the case of ABS and other safety gadgets that gives drivers a sense of false security so they drive more recklessly.

I always recommend the old route as it is nearer (Tapah and SP is 20km+ apart), more scenic, safer and the food is great in Tapah. Plus there is that waterfall to stop.

I go CH regularly (About 1 or 2 times a year). The place is quite a mish-mash haphazard development. Ignore those and you can find some nice idyllic corners to hang out. Avoid school hols, pub hols and weekends at all cost and you'll find a nice little place still trapped in the 80s.

It is like the case of ABS and other safety gadgets that gives drivers a sense of false security so they drive more recklessly.

I always recommend the old route as it is nearer (Tapah and SP is 20km+ apart), more scenic, safer and the food is great in Tapah. Plus there is that waterfall to stop.

I go CH regularly (About 1 or 2 times a year). The place is quite a mish-mash haphazard development. Ignore those and you can find some nice idyllic corners to hang out. Avoid school hols, pub hols and weekends at all cost and you'll find a nice little place still trapped in the 80s.

Maybe I will try the old route just to experience the nice nice things e.g. food & waterfall like you mentioned on the way up and not go there just for CH itself [laugh] [laugh]

You regular there? Maybe we didn't spend a lot of time exploring the place and were turned off by the masses. Plus the weather then was not exactly like GH though the locals swore that years back it was much much cooler.

The other heart-stopping drive was the route towards the Boh tea plantation and back. Never in our wildest imaginations that mini-buses also ply this narrow path and most often we had to reverse to a spot to allow these buses to negotiate through. [shocked][shocked]

My Sister-In-Law lost her life during a Genting Trip a few years ago.

They were traveling on the NSHW when the bus collided with another stationary vehicle.

The bus was from 5 Stars. Life lost, blame company or driver isn't going to bring her back.

My Sister-In-Law lost her life during a Genting Trip a few years ago.

They were traveling on the NSHW when the bus collided with another stationary vehicle.

The bus was from 5 Stars. Life lost, blame company or driver isn't going to bring her back.

s--t sorry to hear that man. yah those coaches drive crazy fast. and if the seats got seat belts, i always wear them one.

Turbocharged

So what is it now? Been reading past Cameron Highlands road trip reviews from you guys recommend the new route, but here recommend old route?? :wacko:

some coach companies pay on a per trip basis, those will be the ones that will drive like mad. Find those companies that pay drivers a proper monthly salary regardless of trips, those will drive safer becos they have no need to rush.

some coach companies pay on a per trip basis, those will be the ones that will drive like mad. Find those companies that pay drivers a proper monthly salary regardless of trips, those will drive safer becos they have no need to rush.

btw you know which company?

So what is it now? Been reading past Cameron Highlands road trip reviews from you guys recommend the new route, but here recommend old route?? :wacko:

Old route anytime, if you ask me. Up is safer than down. But if you drive carefully both are okay.

btw you know which company?

dunno... havto ask my dad, he goes up n down msia every fortnight and he talks to the drivers, which was how he found out.

Edited by Mockngbrd

i ever sat in a coach average 150-160km/hr to Genitng.

Most of the passenger were sound asleep during the nite drive.

i sat right in front and was awake all the way watching him overtaking penty cars...........KNN scare like shiit that time. [sweatdrop]

And you know what.....the relief driver was also sleeping!!! OMG!!!

Edited by Hiphiphoray
↡ Advertisement