Engine Tuning can cause serious damage

Yeobh

Apparently the engine fuel injection may have over exceed the fuel volume injected but fail to cut out resulting in engine over run . The out of balance rotating force may have caused one of the con-rod to crash against the engine block crankcase.

post-272-1331724437_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Apparently the engine fuel injection may have over exceed the fuel volume injected but fail to cut out resulting in engine over run . The out of balance rotating force may have caused one of the con-rod to crash against the engine block crankcase.

catastrophic failure indeed. is it a one time failure or could it be a cumulative failure i.e. progressive thinning of the cylinder till one fine day BAM!

no idea of what sort of mod the fella did too. Cylinder reboring, NOS etc possible causes?

If the cause is not cause by engine over run, then the next possibilty is a loose con-rod bolt not properly torque or lock.

If the cause is not cause by engine over run, then the next possibilty is a loose con-rod bolt not properly torque or lock.

when you say engine over run, does it mean that the fella actually disable the engine rev limiter?

how about hydro lock? possible? i know hydrolock have kaput many engine blocks because piston engines work on compression and water is darn hard to be compressed so during compression phase, BAM valves bent.

Edited by Happily1986

All engine programs have default on engine max rpm , fuel injection time etc Some after market programmer may try to exceed the max limit allowable hopefully to get more hp.

Yes hydraulic lock is common when coolant leaks into the compression chambers.Since water cannot be compressed, some other mechanical parts must give way - most of the time resulting in damage pistons crown , bend con-rods and crack/wrap cylinder head.

Remap Problems, cause and effect ?

In an already overly saturated market place the Remap Engine Tuning industry has already seen its fair share of winners and losers, from catastrophic engine failure to minor niggles, all are unwelcome in the Remap Engine Tuning Arena.

With so many companies out there it is difficult to know where to even start, never mind who you choose to trust with your

• Praise 1

All engine programs have default on engine max rpm , fuel injection time etc Some after market programmer may try to exceed the max limit allowable hopefully to get more hp.

Yes hydraulic lock is common when coolant leaks into the compression chambers.Since water cannot be compressed, some other mechanical parts must give way - most of the time resulting in damage pistons crown , bend con-rods and crack/wrap cylinder head.

Together with your first post, thanks for sharing such information. [thumbsup]

I always ave reservations abt disturbing engine program.

This is just add to my list, and even more convinced to avoid at all cost.

I think if they are from reputable dealers like ABT and so on they should be fine. However, you still have to ask some questions and be abit knowledgeable about these kinda things. Maps cant really be "universal" as each country/region has different parameters such as air temp, humidity etc that will play a part in how the car will perform. Knowing and controlling what goes into your car's ecu is ultimately your safest bet but if you dont have the technical knowledge, then of course reputable tuners are your next best alternative.

i dont tune my car since i change brand new ride before warranty is up, tuning is best left for near scrap car where its either give it all u can or trash it entirely in the scrapyard

me know of a friend who lup a turbo into a NA car. End result is what exactly shown here cos he has over boost it to 2 bar............. :ph34r:

Sometimes towing a car drown in a flood with its gears enganged can also result in almost similar damage to engine (seen one in a workshop after the first flooding at one basement carpark in Bukit Timah a few years back)

Always stick to stock. If need performance, buy a performance car.

I agree. Sometimes it also depends on the driver and not the car. :D

This looks exactly what happened to a marine engine when its con-rods bottom end bearing was not tightened properly. Was running in the completely re-built engine. At lower rpm, all was good. When at higher rpm, the con-rod gave way. Smashing thru the engine block. Had to scrap the whole engine.

↡ Advertisement