Ok to leave transmission in P mode without using handbrake?

Tuna_seng

When parking the car, is it ok to leave the auto transmission in P mode while not using hand brake or parking brake?

Will this damage the transmission, even when not parking on a slope or incline?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It's perfectly fine. will not damage anything. Just that the amount of brake force applied is minimal and your car might roll even if on a slight incline.

• Praise 1

Y not just engage handbrake at the same time? Lazy? [laugh]

Not me. It is the valets who always leave my car parked without applying parking brake....

I am not a techie but putting the gear to "P" without handbrake after stopping the car would cause rocking (to and fro). A definite no-no for longevity of the autotrans. [nosebleed]

Not me. It is the valets who always leave my car parked without applying parking brake....

time to change car unker...the new 7 and 5...when u put to P, auto electronic brake...n excuse for the calafare Valets to forget... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

(edited)

time to change car unker...the new 7 and 5...when u put to P, auto electronic brake...n excuse for the calafare Valets to forget... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

My E65 also had Auto P originally but spoiled already lah hehe.. Must manually press the parking brake button....

Nowadays this electronic Auto P thing is very common among new cars, Audi, BMW, Merc, it is supposed to make things easier for the driver, such as you can relax your feet at the traffic lights, and moving upslope in crawling traffic is easy (no back sliding). But what happens when the thing, as all electronic things are wont to, breaks? No more handbrake/parking brake.

That is why sometimes i think the manual handbrake lever is the best.

Edited by Tuna_seng

I am not a techie but putting the gear to "P" without handbrake after stopping the car would cause rocking (to and fro). A definite no-no for longevity of the autotrans. [nosebleed]

After googling some, some people online said that parking without the handbrake will cause the transmission lock (when in P position) to get chipped away a little by little. After some time the whole lock will break... Not sure how true it is so came here to ask loh.. :D

On level ground it is all right to do that.

On steep slope I pull up the handbrake for added security.

How far up/hard do you usually pull the handbrake?

After i drive my wife's car i pull the handbrake up very hard to secure the brake, the next day she will complain very difficult to release the handbrake! [laugh]

My E65 also had Auto P originally but spoiled already lah hehe.. Must manually press the parking brake button....

Nowadays this electronic Auto P thing is very common among new cars, Audi, BMW, Merc, it is supposed to make things easier for the driver, such as you can relax your feet at the traffic lights, and moving upslope in crawling traffic is easy (no back sliding). But what happens when the thing, as all electronic things are wont to, breaks? No more handbrake/parking brake.

That is why sometimes i think the manual handbrake lever is the best.

i still prefer manual, and the stick type...not foot type....old skool [laugh][laugh]

LOL....i always pull handbrake whenever i put to P

It's so automatic then when i drive a car with no manual handbrake, i will start grabbing thin air.... [laugh]

Turbocharged

99% of time I only put to p mode and no foot brake on flat road parking. The only time I use my foot brake is on slope whet I think I need extra safety... I've been doing this for donkey years and so far, not a single problem with gearbox or brake..... [:p]

Since we are on this topic, shld it b handbrake up first then put to P, or P first then handbrake. I noticed my car manual, says handbrake first then put P!!

When moving off same... Put to drive first then release handbrake...

Surprise right?

How far up/hard do you usually pull the handbrake?

After i drive my wife's car i pull the handbrake up very hard to secure the brake, the next day she will complain very difficult to release the handbrake! [laugh]

Just as long as the handbrake is engaged the car is secured.

Since we are on this topic, shld it b handbrake up first then put to P, or P first then handbrake. I noticed my car manual, says handbrake first then put P!!

When moving off same... Put to drive first then release handbrake...

Surprise right?

Nothing will happen on flat ground the the SOP for on slop is.

1) In D. Hold Brake.

2) Shift to N. Still Holding Brake.

3) Pull Handbrake. Still in N.

4) Release Brake. Car will shift weight to handbrake.

5) Put to P.

This is to make sure the weight of the car (stress) is on the handbrake and not gearbox.

↡ Advertisement