I can still FIGHT? Do U think Sporeans have been fair to her

Scb11980

Yes, I'm hurt but...I can still fight: Ex SMRT CEO

Former SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa talks about, among others, quitting to defuse the criticism of her and the night she decided to resign.

Tue, Mar 20, 2012

The New Paper

SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa is now serving out her resignation notice, moving around with crutches after a major knee surgery.

She talks about, among others, quitting to defuse the criticism of her and the night she decided to resign.

In the end, she became a magnet for abuse. And only by stepping down could she defuse the situation and allow the organisation to get on with the job.

This is how former SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa describes the situation she found herself in early this year, just before she resigned.

"The whole organisation was overwhelmed with trying to answer and defend on so many fronts," she says.

"I had become a magnet attracting all the criticism. If I divorced myself from the organisation, then at least it could start on a clean path."

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The New Paper on Sunday at her home off Lornie Road, the 57-year-old says it was her decision to leave and she was not forced out.

There was mounting pressure on her to step down after the two major train service breakdowns on Dec 15 and 17 last year, affecting 221,000 commuters in all.

The Criminal Investigation Department, the Land Transport Authority and SMRT are investigating the disruptions and a hearing on the findings, open to the public, will begin on April 16.

But why did she decide to hand in her resignation letter on Jan 6, when only weeks earlier she had said she would be "staying put to fix things"?

She says: "After trying so hard for 21/2 weeks or so, I felt that things were snowballing and it was very difficult... because every faction was coming at us.

April 5 to be her last day

"It took me one whole night to think about it."

She says she "always believed I will do the best for the organisation that I belong to".

So she asked herself what was the best thing she could do.

She realised the best thing was to leave because "it would defuse the bubble straightaway".

"It's like a bubble, you know. You defuse it, let people get on to do what is right for the organisation," she says.

But didn't the company say in December last year, even before the train disruptions, that Ms Saw had expressed the desire to "move on" this year, after having served nine years with the company?

SMRT's longest-serving CEO clarifies that the idea of quitting had indeed been brought up then, but she decided to stay on when the company made a bid to operate the new Downtown Line. All that changed, however, after the train service disruptions. What's next for her? Ms Saw reckons she has had a good run with SMRT, but she is not about to call it a day yet.

"I'm going to be 58. I don't think I'm about to ride into the sunset."

A few offers have come up since she announced her resignation, she reveals, but she has yet to decide.

"I always thought people would say: 'Don't touch this person after all that's been said and done'. But my friends say: 'You've moved SMRT to be a very different organisation.

"I think I've been proven to be able to manage a business and I think I can continue to do something, probably very different from SMRT," she says.

She sees herself being active for another five to 10 years. And if not on the corporate front, then always as a martial arts teacher, having mastered taekwondo and tai chi chuan.

Her last day with SMRT will be April 5.

With a bit more time on her hands these days, she has finally started to deal with one issue that she has put off for some time - her health.

The martial arts training and fighting has taken its toll on her body. She recently had major knee surgery and is moving around with the help of crutches while regaining her strength with physiotherapy.

She also has four slipped discs, but adds quickly in case anyone thinks she's an easy target now: "I can still fight."

↡ Advertisement

Obviously she LOST the power struggle and finger blame pointing fight.

So what kind of fight does she want...those that she has higher chance to win?

I think when a person is down, we should not be kicking him or her anymore.

不打落水狗。

Since she had already stepped down, we should let her get on with her life unless there is proof of criminal negligence, if any, under her watch.

Let it be...

Just my 2 cts.

不打落水狗。

Since she had already stepped down, we should let her get on with her life unless there is proof of criminal negligence, if any, under her watch.

Let it be...

Just my 2 cts.

agree. i think can't sing should have done the same [;)]

Turbocharged

to be fair, she's a good CEO only for a profit-oriented private company

but SMRT falls in an awkward category where it's a listed company that serves the public, and when it comes to revenues, profits and standard of services, the public and the company are on the opposite sides

不打落水狗。

Let it be...

Just my 2 cts.

Agree, step down liao should close this chapter on her. But she should not give interview and blog about her time in SMRT, as this will only add fuel to fire.

Agree, step down liao should close this chapter on her. But she should not give interview and blog about her time in SMRT, as this will only add fuel to fire.

Right bro.

Unwise of her to be still blogging about the whole issue which it is still fresh in people's minds but should quietly fade away to seek out other ventures/jobs.

Maybe it's her feisty character I guess....

You watching the correct show??? It should be :

You also watch this?

Initially watching it for the fighting scenes but ever since they started showing half-dressed [gorgeous] parading around , the focus has since been shifted.... [rolleyes]

不打落水狗。

Let it be...

Just my 2 cts.

atually no one care how she get on with her life...she choose to blog it now which open up everything once again....so she simply cannot live without attention....be it good or bad...

You watching the correct show??? It should be :

Yup, but recently the show getting a bit draggy, and more prancing around in half naked cloths rather than substance, remind me of the scene in her D and D.

Should read the article on her Ferrari California and landed at Leonie Road, but she has a point la, she is single, if she can afford it why not, let her enjoy her life as she does not have a man to care and love her.

2nd career for her:-

Star in new MediaCorp Kongfu blockblaster: "Saw Against The World", with her Fists.... [:p]

oh no, better rename it: "Deadly Game - In the Train Tunnel"....

Should read the article on her Ferrari California and landed at Leonie Road, but she has a point la, she is single, if she can afford it why not, let her enjoy her life as she does not have a man to care and love her.

I remember her carried by 8 Hunks.... men, or gays? [:p]

↡ Advertisement