[STforum]:My point: Maid levy

Bic_cherry

Neutral Newbie
The Straits Times; Published on Mar 21, 2012

My point: Maid levy

'Only women are eligible to claim tax relief. This is unfair and discriminates against divorced fathers.'

MR ALEX BAY: 'I am divorced and my children live with me. In my situation, a maid is an essential help as we do not have any other family member living with us. But when I checked with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, I was told only women are eligible to claim tax relief for the maid levy. This is unfair and discriminates against divorced fathers like me. The Government should review the eligibility of this relief to be fair to all working parents who are caring for their children.'

Copyright

Edited by Bic_cherry
↡ Advertisement

Anyone has hired a Male Maid from Phils/indon/srilanka before.

Is there such male maids around?

I think gov is worried divorced man hook up with female maids......so male maids might be the solution.

Anyone has hired a Male Maid from Phils/indon/srilanka before.

Is there such male maids around?

I think gov is worried divorced man hook up with female maids......so male maids might be the solution.

Yes there are male maids in other parts of the world but not here officially. No provision for foreign male maids to be employed here in singapore.

However, there is nothing to stop a singaporean male from being a domestic helper. If there is willingness on both parties it can be worked out. Doing house work is very much like doing your own cleaning and cooking during the old fashioned NS days.

There is nothing wrong with single/divorced males seeking or hooking up with foreign female helpers. So long as the marriage and child bearing is done elsewhere out of the country, everything is fine. No breech of local laws. Not criminal.

To be politically correct to please everyone, and live up to everyone's expectation, the employers can always hire a local female maid to shut up the unwarranted worry, gossip, comments, and complaints.

If the issue is about mothers getting the reduced maid levy, but divorced fathers dont, I can agree, because it is a big sum of money irregardless of income status.

But for the *tax relief", which is double the sum of maid levy paid, the whole intention is to incentivised women to hire a maid and "leave the kitchen". Considering nearly half of Singapore do not pay taxes, if a person with kids still attract income tax, then this is not a poor man, and this is not a hardship issue. Sure it is unfair, but there are bigger unfairness out there.

Like NS. If Israeli women can serve military service, why cant Singaporean women?

Just received Maid Levy Statement for last year. 

Attached was another letter saying from 1 april 19 maid levy up from $265 to $300

Also Aged person concession increased from 65 to 67  (just becos Pinky become 67 everyone else also kenna)  [whip]  

Damn free, collect money so easy , Maid wages keep going up n up (which I dont have any issue as wages in our other Asian countries also gone up)

• Praise 3

Employer pay for the levy of course!

The money should rightfully go to her instead!

She deserves it more than anyone else.

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 1

19 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

Employer pay for the levy of course!

The money should rightfully go to her instead!

She deserves it more than anyone else.

no increase in levy the employer will add that amount to the maid's salary? 

Increase in levy the employer cannot increase the maid's salary himself? 

Edited by Tianmo

What is govt stand for hiring foreign maid? This wan is really question mark for me.

Like that keep increasing maid levy means discouraging young couples from hiring one?

Then what is the maid tax relief for? LoL...

This is conflicting isnt it? KNN right hand collect tax, left hand give relief. LoL...

• Praise 1

30 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

no increase in levy the employer will add that amount to the maid's salary? 

Increase in levy the employer cannot increase the maid's salary himself? 

Govt wants to be the middleman and take a cut. They are increasing their cut. 😂

• Praise 1