Individual contributor versus managerial role

Espresso

Neutral Newbie

Which do you prefer?

I have been in both position and honestly, while individual contributor role provides more room for self actualization and satisfaction, managerial role is much more visible/rewarding and for lesser effort.

↡ Advertisement

One has to play 2 roles unless you are at non-supervisory level then u cant play the role of managing...A manager must be one that is able to manage from a macro perspective and yet able to dive into the details and roll up his/her sleves...I am a very individualistic person..if I am surrounded by less competent ppl, I will be an individual contributor...if I have a good team, then I will collaborate and delegate... As a manager, i look for the key strengths of each individual and try to maximise them to the fullest potential...maximising the potential of the people who worked for you will help them motivate themselves to achieve beyond their own imagination...from this result, you achieve actualisation of your managing skill...

Edited by Cars08

Which do you prefer?

I have been in both position and honestly, while individual contributor role provides more room for self actualization and satisfaction, managerial role is much more visible/rewarding and for lesser effort.

work place manager

personal space doer. save money and get hands-on experience

Whose care......which role give me the most salary package...I will take it......as one bro stated in his signature.. ''I hate my job....not the salary'' [laugh]

In terms of physical work, Management MAY be more relaxed. However, it is definately more stressful mentally and I honestly say not everyone have the temperament for it.

Neutral Newbie

In terms of physical work, Management MAY be more relaxed. However, it is definately more stressful mentally and I honestly say not everyone have the temperament for it.

It takes some form of maturity and experience. Like I tell my team sometimes..."I dont do such detailed ground level work. I have done all that in the past. My job is to identify good work done. My job is to ensure that you are successful in what you are doing, to provide you guidance and advice (and make sure you get the work done or you are out)"

Being in the managerial role means I can surf MCF with more peace of mind.. Individual contributor has to alwayswatch over your back.

Edited by Ender

Neutral Newbie

Being in the managerial role means I can surf MCF with more peace of mind.. Individual contributor has to alwayswatch over your back.

Just to clarify, individual contributor doesnt mean more junior, just dont have a team to look after thats all.

Just to clarify, individual contributor doesnt mean more junior, just dont have a team to look after thats all.

Ok, like consultant or SME like that...

One has to play 2 roles unless you are at non-supervisory level then u cant play the role of managing...A manager must be one that is able to manage from a macro perspective and yet able to dive into the details and roll up his/her sleves...I am a very individualistic person..if I am surrounded by less competent ppl, I will be an individual contributor...if I have a good team, then I will collaborate and delegate... As a manager, i look for the key strengths of each individual and try to maximise them to the fullest potential...maximising the potential of the people who worked for you will help them motivate themselves to achieve beyond their own imagination...from this result, you achieve actualisation of your managing skill...

[thumbsup]

Which do you prefer?

Based on my work experience stretching more than 2 decades, I can tell you this.

Up and coming young blood will always state managerial in their appraisal forms.

Managers who have been there and done that, will not blink to tell you that they'd prefer an individual contributor's role.

After you have managed a section division, or the whole department, you will really want out ... unless you are really into people administration - from appraisals, ranking, salary, promotions, transfers, training, HR matters ... and/or performance-based stuff like stewardship, planning & budgetting, audits, KPIs, frequent night telecons with HQ, compliance of management systems and all the other fcuk crap!

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] But, cannot escape from IT eyes no matter how.

↡ Advertisement