MMA in Straits Times today

Yr1985

(edited)

https://youtu.be/LLhw9NnL2pY

This guy talk about real fighting and competitive fighting with rules.

True. MMA although brutal is still fighting with rules so it's not 100% 实战 life/death fight. Strikes to the groin are not allowed, you can't gouge the eyes, strangle the throat, kick/break the knee joints and biting chunks of flesh off your opponents are obviously illegal.  If you include all these elements, alot of the MMA techniques will be totally useless or even hazardous.

So I guess there must be apple to apple comparison when comparing different school of combat. Having said that, MMA is probably still the most effective in modern combat sports.

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Chey. Tot Malaysian Medical Association simi daiji associated with a rag...

Anyway, the mama fighter has hurt people before and is willing to hurt, the Taiji fella is used to sparring, the loss is not the martial art, it's the individual.

Anyway, the fellow in the film was not quite five feet tall and weighed maybe forty kilos. Killed a samurai in a duel before and was an exclusive IJA instructor. He was in Manchuria for a number of years. The real deal.

His understanding of how long a fight lasts, in the blink of the eye.

Enjoy exclusive rare footage by a small Giant.

This one looks fake leh. The guys were barely touched and jumping over him.

I would like to see how kungfu would fare against one of the more lethal fighting style like Krav Maga or Muay Thai

Supersonic

True. MMA although brutal is still fighting with rules so it's not 100% å®æ life/death fight. Strikes to the groin are not allowed, you can't gouge the eyes, strangle the throat, kick/break the knee joints and biting chunks of flesh off your opponents are obviously illegal. If you include all these elements, alot of the MMA techniques will be totally useless or even hazardous.

So I guess there must be apple to apple comparison when comparing different school of combat. Having said that, MMA is probably still the most effective in modern combat sports.

How about muay Thai?

Hypersonic

I would like to see how kungfu would fare against one of the more lethal fighting style like Krav Maga or Muay Thai

someone told me u cant practice krav maga. It's all blows to groins, eyes, solar plexus or adam's apple haha  [laugh]

someone told me u cant practice krav maga. It's all blows to groins, eyes, solar plexus or adam's apple haha  [laugh]

Can, just keep practicing on dummy until it becomes muscle memory.  

They do a lot of many to one attack / defend / disengage situations.  

I've met a few practitioners and they give off abit of a tightly coiled spring vibe.   :ninja:

Twincharged

May not be all fake to be fair.

They are trying to demonstrate techniques to observers.

Also, if the student don't roll through, can get injured too due to pursue at his vulnerable points.

6th Gear

tai chi, MMA all have their rules... the more gentlemanly the rules, the faster you go down like why tai chi goes down so quickly.

in street fights there are no rules. the best technique is to go for vital points, and/or grap whatever around as weapons. no such thing as low-blow as long as you survive.

anyway fun to watch

Turbocharged

You mean the aikido video about ueshiba? It's believable.

Aikido is a strange martial art that involves channeling "internal energy" (something like what chinese call "qi"), and also weakening opponents by catching and pressing vulnerable pressure points.

I say this having encountered it myself. Used to do tkd, then a friend invited me to join his aikido session. I can understand all that part about leveraging an opponent's force against himself, hitting pressure points (this is fun, can feel the limb suddenly go weak or feel painful when it happens).

But the strangest thing I experienced was this "energy" thing. Experienced practitioners can do it. On the receiving end, you can feel being 'pushed' even though the other guy seemingly not exerting any substantial force. That's how you see people literally take flight after just a touch or a push from the master [laugh] Like the Bruce Lee one inch punch.

• Praise 1

When I first started watching UFC, it was like a street fight. There was no rules and no weight class. Only rule is to KO the opponent or opponent surrender. Headbutting was allowed. Kicking a downed opponent also allowed. Every match ends in a bloody mess.

As long as one survives, one wins. It was totally banned and only few US States allow it. U can see huge guys kena wack by smaller guys. I still have the VCD, ya it was during the VCD era.

However to legalised it, UFC has to come up with rules. Thus the current form of UFC/MMA. Still interesting but not as exciting as before. The current rules very confusing.

• Praise 2

You can find various videos on youtube

Can, just keep practicing on dummy until it becomes muscle memory.  

They do a lot of many to one attack / defend / disengage situations.  

I've met a few practitioners and they give off abit of a tightly coiled spring vibe.   :ninja:

A bit like Jason Bourne vibe?

Turbocharged

Ya, tha akido video looks like under fantasy .

Aikido ah....

I remember sec school orientation there was an aikido exhibition in the school gym. I saw everyone rolling and tumbling when faced with the aikido pugilist. They called out a few volunteers. I stepped fwd, and the fella said dont resist, just go with the flow. So i also rolled and tumbled at his touch :D but then I imagine faced with robbers how to convince them to not resist and go with the flow?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Aikido ah....

I remember sec school orientation there was an aikido exhibition in the school gym. I saw everyone rolling and tumbling when faced with the aikido pugilist. They called out a few volunteers. I stepped fwd, and the fella said dont resist, just go with the flow. So i also rolled and tumbled at his touch :D but then I imagine faced with robbers how to convince them to not resist and go with the flow?

This video part 1 shows what you have just said. The opponent has to be co-operative for Akido to work smoothly. [laugh]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyaBy0qyAQ