Wiper Maintenance

Wyvern

Hi guys, wish to seek some advise from fellow drivers..

I have just replaced my wiper last year July. But recently, with the rain, I observed that my wiper isn't performing its task very well. And I am considering to changing my wiper.

Some questions here:

1. Whats the recommended wiper in the market nowadays...? I am currently using Bosch Aerotwin Wiper.

2. Any maintenance or tips to take note to prolong the life of the wiper...?

I am parking my ride in open space carpark, even in my company, there is no good tree shelter from the glaring sunshine. Some of my colleagues recommended leaving the wiper tilted up away from the windscreen to reduce the heat emited from the windscreen, but not sure if thats a BKM (Best Know Method) though.

Many Thanks...

Edited by Wyvern
↡ Advertisement

Sometimes it's the windscreen problem. Try using Autoglym Glass Polish to see if it works first before changing wipers.

Neutral Newbie

You might want to try covered wipers. The cover conceals the blade and makes it less exposed to the elements compared to the skeleton type which comes as standard on most cars. Leaving the wipers tilted up may warp the shape of the wiper blade rendering it less effective at conforming itself to the contour of your windshield.

Also, when you was your car, it helps to give the wiper blades a wipe to free up the dirt. You might want to consider applying rain beading products such as rain-x too. From what i know, car wash of the "wash and wax' type may temporarily hinder wiper action causing it to squeal. This ceases after a while.

Lastly, consider silicone wiper blades, they tend to last longer.

Neutral Newbie

Is it true that using Rain Act will spoil the wiper?

Have been using rain act for the past 9mths and within this period i have changed the wipers 3 times....

Is the hot sun causing this probs as my place here is open carpark...or the rain act?

1st Gear

It could, if wasn't applied correctly.

Rainx solution contains alcohol that can dry rubber, making it brittle and unable to wipe properly.

Any rubber e.g. windscreen seal may also get affected over prolonged direct contact to rainx.

Avoid running over the rubber during application to minimize the damage.

After application is dry, it should be ok for the wiper.

when u wash ur car, also wash the wipers using sponge n pull thru. u wil see the crazy amt of dirt there.

under open air parking, its good practice to lift it up fr windscreen. shd help to prolong the wipers.

for replacement, if urs is jap car, jus go giant buy those yasashi $7 a stick wiper, change every half yr. solid!

4th Gear

Lastly, consider silicone wiper blades, they tend to last longer.

Silicon wiper blades are good but ex, my last one cost about S$90 and last me about 3.5 yrs.

Now I use the normal ones bought from M'sia for just about S$14...... [laugh]

Total open car park,no trees or shades at my office car park in industrial island, an open hdb carpark at home.

Usually those oily, gummy films will attach to windscreen as invisible coatings, wipers may be afffted too. So in these situation, these coatings being in between windscreen and wipers, cant give a clean n effective sweep.

Normal window cleaner and spray may work. After using them, windscreen look clean, but the coatings ar still there.

You need to use specific window cleaning formulas, such as the autoglym as mentioned by Fcw75 or other such things.

Avoid scoring pads and ultra fine sand papers. These are for the workshop pro.wrong use will definitely result in hairline scratches.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I have just replaced my wiper last year July. But recently, with the rain, I observed that my wiper isn't performing its task very well. And I am considering to changing my wiper.

Some questions here:

1. Whats the recommended wiper in the market nowadays...? I am currently using Bosch Aerotwin Wiper.

I am parking my ride in open space carpark, even in my company, there is no good tree shelter from the glaring sunshine. Some of my colleagues recommended leaving the wiper tilted up away from the windscreen to reduce the heat emited from the windscreen, but not sure if thats a BKM (Best Know Method) though.

Many Thanks...

Rain X, Anco and Bosch windshield wiper blades are very reliable. Use MicroEdge Bosch blades which are made for snow and ice conditions. These are spring tension wipers that feature a special rubber for extreme weather. You can also use Bosch ICON wipers and Valeo wiper blades in rainy season. These are made with dual rubber and are considered extremely long lasting and provide best performance in the rainy season.

Wiper blades are needed to clear off any water from rainy weather and snow during the winter time. Always clean your wiper blades when you just go to use your car. To extend the life of your wiper blades is to apply some car wax to the windshield and when the wax dries wipe it off good. Apply the car wax to the windshield at least once a month or when you wash your car. These are just regular car maintenance and should be done if or when you wash your car.

Edited by Ryanodell27

Car wash remember to wipe ur blades.

Also i am using permanon on the windscreen and solves judder problem.

Still on a cheapo $16 wipers for the past 1 year. No complains [laugh]

Some questions here:

Many Thanks...

BKM...you work in manufacturing or specifically semicon industry bro [:p]

Try not to use the same micro fiber towels you use for buffing the body when drying the windshield during DIY wash...the left over wax or oils in the towel will be transferred to the windshield which may cause judders or issues with the wiper performance...just use old newspapers to dry them...but those glass polishes can really help...

BKM...you work in manufacturing or specifically semicon industry bro [:p]

Try not to use the same micro fiber towels you use for buffing the body when drying the windshield during DIY wash...the left over wax or oils in the towel will be transferred to the windshield which may cause judders or issues with the wiper performance...just use old newspapers to dry them...but those glass polishes can really help...

Haha, you've got me.. Maybe we from the same .......

Actually, I send my car for carwash weekly. Usually just spray on the wiper, never did a full wipe down on the wipers. There is once I did a full wipe down on the wiper and I do see a layer of dust.

The sympton I see during rainy days, my wiper wipes through my screen and leaves a trace of water behind. So I would say its not a full wipe water free. Hence, I am quite fustrated by this.

I get to know the windscreen wipe, but I am not sure if I can do it correctly, or rather I need someone to show me the exact way it is to be done before I can do it myself.

Thanks guys for sharing these information.. Appreciate that..

Neutral Newbie

My 3yr old silicion wiper still doing fine. worth the investment.

Fully agreed.Am using it for 2yrs+ already.No regrets.No streaking.Normal ones will streak after <1 yr.

Some questions here:

Many Thanks...

If chemicals like Rain-X already applied onto windscreen, good luck

Twincharged

If chemicals like Rain-X already applied onto windscreen, good luck

I used Rain-X very often,what is the side effect.?

My normal wiper last me 3 yrs plus then change to silicon type no more monitoring cos change ride after that.

Normal practise washing my car I lift up the wiper to avoid washing cleanser contact.

I dun use any cleanser on the wind glass just plain water and then wipe the wiper using the cleaning cloth during the dry wiping process.

My 3 yrs old current ride still follow the previous ride method fortunately my park under shade most of the time.

↡ Advertisement