Official Punishment for Sun Xu Released

CKP

Turbocharged

we all read before he is gonna grad.. so he should be in his last semester....

fine is ok.. community service....well i dunno what that means..

but what i am interested is.... 1 semester is how long? and he is only allowed to graduate in 2012.2013... was his graduation pushed back?

Typically in NUS..

(1) Sem 2 exams ends in late april, early May.

(2) Result released around 2-3 weeks after end of exams..

(3) Degree will be conveyed to you shortly after release of result, but you must pass everything.

(4) Graduation ceremony in July/Aug..

So, 3 months of community service will simply means (3) will be pushed back by 3 months, which also means he may not be able to attend the graduation ceremony with his cohort. He must wait til July/Aug 2013 in order for him to be in the ceremony (and wear the square hat)

↡ Advertisement

What kind of punishment did you people expect? It was just ONE flippant remark. No matter how hurtful it was, I think the punishment is enough. Certainly, it is enough to deter future offenders.

It would be unreasonable for NUS to strip him of his degree.

Well said. I feel NUS did more than enough for a single remark.

Turbocharged

cheap leh....he already spent so much of our money.

should fail him due to mis-conduct and throw him out of singapore and ban him from entering.

what kind of punishment is that, dun think that sun xu will even feel tickish.

only get fine for $3,000.00 for inuslting 3 million singaporean as dogs, small price to pay as every compensation for insulting each singaporean cost less than 0.01 cents.

Neutral Newbie

what kind of punishment is that, dun think that sun xu will even feel tickish.

only get fine for $3,000.00 for inuslting 3 million singaporean as dogs, small price to pay as every compensation for insulting each singaporean cost less than 0.01 cents.

I concur with you too. The punishment is too light for the sarcastic remarks he has made on singaporeans. Afterall, he still can graduate and get his cert what... only scholarship is being revoked and a 3k fine that's all considering the amount of money our pay and pay govt spent on him already... [rolleyes]

Later when he go back to his country, he will curse and swear and say we are not only DOGS but PIGS or something. No wonder hongkies say PRC aka CHINA ppl are locusts! They finish all our resources then go back to their country and still a good fellow. [laugh]

Edited by MDK

What kind of punishment did you people expect? It was just ONE flippant remark. No matter how hurtful it was, I think the punishment is enough. Certainly, it is enough to deter future offenders.

U china man?

A person who openly looks down on a group who gave him his chance in the first place, have no wisdom, used a word knowing the backdrop in china-hk saga. You want this type to be installed upon graduation as someone with leadership position in his field here?

This guy is a sophisticated person. His remark is no means flippant.

Nus/moe should admit it's failed selection process and just make it right - not give him the scholarship in the first place.

should have made him pay up all the 10 yr free education scholarship if he wants the degree, teach new FT student a thing about loyalty

U china man?

Right. Just because I don't agree that he should be brought out back and shot in the end, I must be a "china man"? Can't I be a Singaporean with a different opinion from you?

I dont quite understand you sinkies so angry for what? It just comment a comment.....'dog' :wacko: so what?

This is a small matter. Business as usual. Money is the most important, ok! Otherwise how to pay the world class leader.

A person who openly looks down on a group who gave him his chance in the first place, have no wisdom, used a word knowing the backdrop in china-hk saga. You want this type to be installed upon graduation as someone with leadership position in his field here?

This guy is a sophisticated person. His remark is no means flippant.

Nus/moe should admit it's failed selection process and just make it right - not give him the scholarship in the first place.

Graduating from NUS doesn't suddenly give him a "leadership position in his field" because his degree won't grant him any magical powers.

For the school to take away 4 years of hard work from a person because of one remark on his blog would be unfair. Look at the sort of nonsense some Singaporeans write on their blogs; why should it be any different just because the author is from China and his target is Singapore? He may be a sophisticated person but it was still no calculated remark. It was a blog post and he clearly didn't mean for it to be such a big deal.

I agree that he should not have been given the scholarship in the first place but it is too late for regrets. Give cannot take back is a cardinal rule from primary school. The scholarship board did make a mistake in giving him the scholarship but they can't just unilaterally demand the money back when the bond contract doesn't call for it. Also, how would the scholarship board, through interviews, determine if a student is a hater of Singaporeans when it is so easy to lie about your intentions and motivations during an interview?

Another chap was saying that 3 million Singaporeans were hurt by his remarks and that the fine was miniscule when divided by 3 million. If so, then what about those of us who insult PRCs? Should the PRC government catch them when they visit China and fine them a similar sum per citizen?

As he is on MOE scholarship, does it mean he will be a teacher after graduation? Wonder will he teach our students to say 'there are more dogs than human in Singapore'.