Downtown East murder but no murder charge?

Mockngbrd

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/S...ory_782112.html

why liddat?

Seven of the 12 youths involved in the Downtown East gang clash of 2010 that left a student dead had their murder charges reduced to lesser ones on Monday.

Of the seven, five will now be tried for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, and two, for rioting with a dangerous weapon.

No reason was given for stepping down the charges. y no reason?

With this development on Monday, it means that the gang of 12 allegedly behind the bloodbath at the entertainment hub on Oct 30, 2010 will be spared the gallows.

↡ Advertisement

why liddat?

Seven of the 12 youths involved in the Downtown East gang clash of 2010 that left a student dead had their murder charges reduced to lesser ones on Monday.

Of the seven, five will now be tried for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, and two, for rioting with a dangerous weapon.

With this development on Monday, it means that the gang of 12 allegedly behind the bloodbath at the entertainment hub on Oct 30, 2010 will be spared the gallows.

It was never really murder in the first place.

why liddat?

Why waste the ropes?...rope for each neck ..very expensive.....O.K?

Even feeding them for a few years....cannot be cheap...you know!

Better release them back...to the peasant pool...so that the Sinkie peasants can breed their own kind and take out each other...

Bad problems in society cancelling out each other... :D

Supercharged

The authorities should (at least) explain why no murder charge. Like that will give people no confident in our judiciary system.

I am not a lawyer, but I have an interest in the topic, so here is my unprofessional explanation:

Here are the charges that can be made against someone who kills:

1) Murder - to be found guilty of murder, the prosecution must prove that the accused:

i) Want that person dead

ii) Planned the action in advance, ie premeditation

2) Manslaughter - which is like murder, ie a planned killing but under certain mitigating factors, for example provocation

3) Culpable Homicide - need to prove the intention to kill or at least knows the action is likely to kill, but need not prove prior planning to kill

4) Causing death through rash or negligent act - no intention to kill at all

For DTE case, unless the prosecution can prove any one of them planned to kill a particular person, it will be very hard to pin a murder or even manslaughter charge.

But they did carry lethal weapons and attacked someone till the person was dead, so it is easy to prove culpable homicide.

Edited by Jim

I am not a lawyer, but I have an interest in the topic, so here is my unprofessional explanation:

1) Murder - to be found guilty of murder, the prosecution must prove that the accused:

i) Want that person dead

2) Manslaughter - which is like murder, ie a planned killing but under certain mitigating factors, for example provocation

3) Culpable Homicide - need to prove the intention to kill or at least knows the action is likely to kill, but need not prove prior planning to kill

For DTE case, unless the prosecution can prove any one of them planned to kill a particular person, it will be very hard to pin a murder or even manslaughter charge.

But they did carry lethal weapons and attacked someone till the person was dead, so it is easy to prove culpable homicide.

culpable homicide sentence too light.

at least manslaughter is lock up for life.

culpable homicide at most 15 years and they are out

Let them go through the legal motion and receive whatever sentence the judiciary deems fit. After which, slap the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act on the whole lot of them.

Edited by Happily1986

Neutral Newbie

i) Want that person dead

This makes sense

This sends a wrong signal to those youngsters. They deserve more serious punishment. If not when they r out of the jail, they might repeat the stupid act. Really waste tax payers money to feed them.

i) Want that person dead

This type best is ask Brother Yuan. Paging for Brother Yuan! [:p]

1221620533R197gf.jpg

HELLO ALL FELLOW GANGSTERS........HO SAY LIAO !!!!!

NOW WE CAN HAVE MORE FIGHTS AND RIOTING EVERYWHERE ANYWHERE.....EVEN YOU KILLED SOMEONE ALSO NEBERMIND...... BCOS NO DEATH PENALTY.......!!!!!!

HOOT AH.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm oso wondering whether any thing wrong with our judiciary system. I noticed that there are some cases where a driver killed some one in a road accident, there is no jail term only fine. In the other hand, if the driver hit the party, he will be jailed.

I'm oso wondering whether any thing wrong with our judiciary system. I noticed that there are some cases where a driver killed some one in a road accident, there is no jail term only fine. In the other hand, if the driver hit the party, he will be jailed.

cos the person kana hit still alive and sue the pants out of the bugger... so moral of the story, if wan to whack someone better make sure tat someone dead if not u are giving urself trouble! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]