Do not switch on hazard lights while driving in the rain

Slim

Hazards in heavy rain is misguided at best, and dangerous at worst. I could probably forgive those who drive on the leftmost lane with their hazards on in heavy rain, but those in the extreme right doing the same are quite simply - idiots. I mean, if you are afraid enough to (wrongly) want to warn others with your hazard lights, then why the f*** are you crawling along on the rightmost lane? [hur]

↡ Advertisement

in japan, ppl use the hazard light to say thanks or sorry if someone gave u way or u overtook someone. it's from a courteous country ;)

You can also use this if you pull over to the sides especially on highways to alert fast moving vehicles that you are stationary. Hazard lights are also used when driving in heavy rains or snow so that cars will at least be visible to one another.

Rubbish statement above :excl:

I think ppl use their hazard lights during rainy weather is bcos they dun have front/rear fog lights.

Don't think so. By turning on the headlights, it's already sufficient to be more visible compared to don't turn it on totally in a heavy downpour. Hazard lights will only cause confusion. Same goes for cars who turn on their hazard lights when e-braking, especially those taxis.

(edited)

but for heavy braking in wet weather, hazard lights is good since it gives you more attention. Citroen cars have their hazard lights switched on automatically during heavy braking.

Edited by Alfist168

Neutral Newbie

in japan, ppl use the hazard light to say thanks or sorry if someone gave u way or u overtook someone. it's from a courteous country ;)

same goes if ur driving in uk...which i find it useful, with the arms raised.

Hypersonic

..and also kayu drivers who use hazard lights when they going to park

Seriously, what's the practice for parking? I thougt hazard light at least warn the car behind I'm going to stop and made preparation for parking, so the car behind will allow some gap (most cases they do). Ever seen driver being followed closely, and when they made preparation to park only to find the behind car is too close to block the parking lot.

Hypersonic
(edited)

IMO, many situation can use hazard light, but the reaction from other vehicle should more or less be the same. i.e. slow down, be on your guard and increase your distance away from the hazard light vehicle, if possible keep away.. Many of us singaporean are confused whe they see vehicle with hazard light on the move, becoz they only feel comfortable that hazard light should only be use on stationary vehicle.

Heavy rain especially during mansoon along the NSHW in malaysia, I appreciate those guys who on hazrd light... Tail light when head light is on is just not enough visibility. But in Singapore I wouldn't do that, knowing most of us will be confused, and TP may take action against me..

Edited by Ender

(edited)

..and also kayu drivers who use hazard lights when they going to park

U'll be surprise there are many forumers here who does dat.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See wat I mean, straight away, got one response. (see below post #18)

Oop, miss out an even earlier reply from post 15.

Edited by Twofouronenite

I do. What's so wrong with that? [rolleyes] Unless you are speeding around the carpark and find hazard lights a confusion??? Hahaha.

Neutral Newbie

Simple, let's just go back to basics. Hazard lights, as it is, should be used when there is a hazardous situation to warn others of the danger. It's as simple as that, why make it so complicated.

Hypersonic

See wat I mean, straight away, got one response. (see below post #18)

If hazard light is for warning for other vehicles, yes for parking it helps if the one behind knows how to react. i.e. keep his distance. Becoz when one is to park, likely he 'll come to complete stop, and engage a reverse gear very soon. On seeing the hazard light in front, we should keep a distance. Don't see anything wrong with post #18.

(edited)

I do. What's so wrong with that? [rolleyes] Unless you are speeding around the carpark and find hazard lights a confusion??? Hahaha.

Hazard light prior to the parking can be a hazard as your intention to move in whatever direction is not clear. When you are parked and waiting for a lot and you need to move off, many do not switch off hazard lights, signal left/right before moving off.

The confusion do not arise from the other party speeding but the confusion as to are you moving off or not and in which direction.

Edited by Adminstrator

(edited)

If hazard light is for warning for other vehicles, yes for parking it helps if the one behind knows how to react. i.e. keep his distance. Becoz when one is to park, likely he 'll come to complete stop, and engage a reverse gear very soon. On seeing the hazard light in front, we should keep a distance. Don't see anything wrong with post #18.

Don't think there's any mentioned on right or wrong. As my earlier reply, is the intention to move off when one do not off the hazard light which might cause potiential hazard.

BTW, I don't see driving school teaching the newbies driver to on the hazard lights when they do their reverse parking or parallel parking. That should be an indicator of what is right or wrong. Just being a common practise does not justify the action as right.

Edited by Adminstrator

Hypersonic

Don't think there's any mentioned on right or wrong. As my earlier reply, is the intention to move off when one do not off the hazard light which might cause potiential hazard.

Moving off??? ...those are waiting for lot, and decied to give up, different topic..

We talking about parking here, how to signal our intention to the one behind that we are going to come to complete stop now, and engage reverse gear very soon, so those behing please be prepare and allow some gap..

Hypersonic
(edited)

BTW, I don't see driving school teaching the newbies driver to on the hazard lights when they do their reverse parking or parallel parking. That should be an indicator of what is right or wrong. Just being a common practise does not justify the action as right.

Didn't say it's right or taught. I just say it serves a purpose to tell the one behind to be prepare for a unexpected change in vehicle direction. Coz that's what happend during parking, a change in vehicle direction on a one way traffic. So nothing kayu about this as mentioned by bro Radx here..

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement