Donation ... comes in many forms

Scb11980

30 March 2012

Straits Times

A PRC couple cheated a 51 year old Singaporean cleaner of $130 two weeks ago in Bishan.

According to media reports, Mr Koh was stopped on his way home by a PRC couple who begged him to lend him some money to buy food.

The PRC woman explained that it was their first trip to Singapore and their friend who was supposed to receive them had gone abroad, hence leaving them stranded without any money for food or lodging.

Mr Koh initially suspected that it might be a scam, but his heart softened upon hearing repeated pleas from the PRC woman whom he described as

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

30 March 2012

Straits Times

A PRC couple cheated a 51 year old Singaporean cleaner of $130 two weeks ago in Bishan.

According to media reports, Mr Koh was stopped on his way home by a PRC couple who begged him to lend him some money to buy food.

The PRC woman explained that it was their first trip to Singapore and their friend who was supposed to receive them had gone abroad, hence leaving them stranded without any money for food or lodging.

Mr Koh initially suspected that it might be a scam, but his heart softened upon hearing repeated pleas from the PRC woman whom he described as

30 March 2012

Straits Times

• Praise 1

Please inform them to contact MR. SUN XU

Dogs don't carry money around

Ya we DOGS dun carry money around. If still persistent then we tell them we DOGS will bit them if they still dun go away. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Kin!!! Poh mata!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg..._when_cops.html

Youths insist on minimum $10 donation -- then flee when cops arrive

STOMPer blueoceans says he agreed to donate $5 when approached by a young man who asked him for a donation towards charity -- only to be told that the minimum donation amount was $10.

Suspicious, the STOMPer called the police, which prompted the group of volunteers including the young man to flee when they caught a glimpse of the officers from afar.

The STOMPer said:

"Recently I was approached by some volunteers at Jurong East MRT asking for donations. There were carrying blue donation bags.

"At first I thought nothing of it as donations are quite common nowadays.

"So I stopped and this guy, probably in his twenties, told me he was a volunteer who was helping some charity with the donations.

"So I did my part and offered to donate $5.

"But strangely, he told me it was a minimum $10 donation and when I told him I'm comfortable with donating $5, he negotiated with me for a $10 donation.

"So, I asked him more questions about the charity and he just beat around the bush and insisted that I donate $10.

"Obviously, I walked away feeling indignant.

"Here I was trying to do some good deed for charity and this guy had to insist that I donate a minimum amount.

"I wondered if these people were really volunteers, so I decided to call the police to inform them about this so-called fundraising activity.

"I stood at a corner and waited for the police to arrive.

"They came shortly after and what I saw was that these so-called volunteers signalled to each other when they saw the police from afar.

"All of them kept their donation bags and immediately went up the escalator to the MRT.

"What intrigued me was that if these people were really volunteers, why would they make their escape upon seeing the police?"

I normally just give $5 or $10 to them if I think I want to help them. And I would not give more even if they ask for more with more stories.

• Praise 1

A lot is for profit company hire the youths to do, and they collect over 40%+ of the donations, as admin + commission costs. I now only donate to those secondary school students / poly / uni students who are wearing school T-shirts or uniforms. Still can be scam, but the % should be lower ba.

Fail. Of all places they choose a mrt station that's filled with cctv cameras. What geniuses.

high human traffic

A lot is for profit company hire the youths to do, and they collect over 40%+ of the donations, as admin + commission costs. I now only donate to those secondary school students / poly / uni students who are wearing school T-shirts or uniforms. Still can be scam, but the % should be lower ba.

I donate direct to cancer society to avoid all these nonsense. Not a lot but I have been donating for 3 years so far. Anyway you will only see the student volunteer mostly in public places like mrt. I drive hence I seldom come into contact with them.

I ever encounter "students" selling $10 ice cream for $15. They tell you they just came out from boy's home, want you to pity them and buy their ice cream like in that ch8 show (I dunno which one but my wife told me). I LoL and rejected them.

I donate direct to cancer society to avoid all these nonsense. Not a lot but I have been donating for 3 years so far. Anyway you will only see the student volunteer mostly in public places like mrt. I drive hence I seldom come into contact with them.

I ever encounter "students" selling $10 ice cream for $15. They tell you they just came out from boy's home, want you to pity them and buy their ice cream like in that ch8 show (I dunno which one but my wife told me). I LoL and rejected them.

[thumbsup] I mostly donate to student volunteers coz I take BMW. So, will come into contact with them. And, even a small donation will make them feel they're not wasting their time. After all, I believe that most Singaporean students would have gone through the CIP stage. Whenever I see, if got change in pocket / not rushing for time, will ask them what's it for, then donate a little lor.

The ice cream ones, I think it's a scam. Read either on stomp or newspapers.

(edited)

i rather dont donate cash. don know whether the money will end up as some body's gold plated toilet.

every month i go grocery shopping and buy all the necessity eg can food, biscuits etc and deliver it personally to the old folks home. more tiring but feels better i guess

http://www.botien.org.sg/new_09/home.php

this is the place if anyone wants to join me. but pls dont give me cash.

mods, pls let me know if this is not allowed.

Edited by Little_prince
  • Praise 1

I encountered before.. I ask them "我带你们去公安局备案,然后去中国大使馆寻求援助好吗"... Straight away the conman disappear.

Supersonic

Never ever give money to people you do not know, especially PRC. If they need help, ask them to go police or help them to contact police if they do not know. Our gahmen loves them so that's the best place to go to. -_-

Nowadays many such people around, also dont know which one is genuine which one is fake? :blink: I think best is to ask them to go look for gahment since gahment likes them and treat them so well?! [:p]

↡ Advertisement