Electricity costs increase

Tigershark1976

Neutral Newbie

I am happy for sporean. When i stay in sg with two aircon, my bill was $500 a mth. Now i stay in jb with 8 aircon, my bill is only $8 per month. And in jb, below 20 no need pay bills

Thank u umno.

Stay where? Kids schooling how? Safe? Travel to singapore to work each day?

↡ Advertisement

money aside, we should try to consume less energy. one way is to use gas fired water heater or use gas to boil water.

rong rong ago my father used gas to boil water for shower at home, i still remember having to light the 'fire' in the water heater before shower [:)]

nowadays, i think i need to shower together with a few xmms to save water and electric heater.... :D

Actually ppl blame the authorities also no point coz they themselves have to pay the same rate. When they go home they have to pay electricity bills too.

Actually ppl blame the authorities also no point coz they themselves have to pay the same rate. When they go home they have to pay electricity bills too.

You did not compare ur salary or the average salary of the household with the authorities. What you pay may be 1/10 of ur salary, but to them maybe 1/50 only. Peanuts to them.

Anyway who's stupid idea to peg the cost of natural gas to crude oil? And since there is already a global pricing for natural gas, they should have used it. Consumers should not be made to pay for the mistakes the authorities or organisations made and end up the management gets big bonuses and consumers faced with big increases to feed them.

Reminds me of what one former transport minister said of the NE line opening, it costs more to have an automated driverless system. If so, then why invest so much on a technology that is going to cost commuters more?

These people make poor judgements and decisions, end up consumers have to suffer.

you think the 66.6% will join you ?

how about the remaining 44% ?? bo lat liao....

every time suka-suka increase price ... next to go up, FOOD COST, basically EVERTHING will increase

FffffffffFF %$@*^$$

Your maths cannot make it la.

If you choose to be so biased & narrow minded there's nothing I can say. If you want to compare salary there's no end to it. It like crying out loud "it's not fair". Get a grip. When is life fair? It's never fair and it never will.

I look at energy & clean water as a global issue. Many countries are facing the same issues. We cannot take them for granted thinking prices will stay the same. Even if I built my own solar panel and battery and collect rain water I need will n

The price of natural gas from Indonesia actually dipped from Jan to Feb based on market pricing, so what's going on here ?

suddenly 14 vendors pop up to sell electricity to Jurong area ......

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/14-vendors-to-vie-for-share-of-jurong-electricity-market

Retailers can begin marketing electricity plans from today, ahead of opening up of market on April 1

The race for a slice of the Jurong power pie is sizzling, as electricity retailers prepare to dive into the open electricity market that launches there next month.

The 14 retailers, which have been authorised by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) to offer electricity plans, may start marketing from today.

From April 1, the open electricity market will give 108,000 households and 9,500 businesses in Jurong the opportunity to buy electricity from a retailer of their choice, similar to consumers choosing among mobile telcos.

An EMA spokesman said: "Consumers will no longer be restricted to buying electricity from SP Group at the regulated tariff, and can stand to benefit from more competitive pricing and innovative offers from electricity retailers."

Jurong residents interviewed by The Straits Times were either unaware of the opening up of the market or said that they would wait and see before switching.

Jurong resident and retiree Doris Yeo, 71, said: "In the beginning, there will always be teething problems. I won't switch quickly until everything has stabilised. And if it's cheaper, then why not?"

Housewife Evelyn Lim also said she would not rush into a contract with a new retailer. "Of course, with each launch, they will promise you a lot of freebies but suddenly they may change their policies," said the 68-year-old.

retailers said they would not be too concerned if the initial response from residents was lukewarm.

Sembcorp Utilities' senior vice-president Lim Yeow Keong said that in energy markets overseas such as Australia and Japan, consumers adopted a wait-and-see approach to look out for the best plan for their needs.

"Similar to Japan, we expect about 5 to 8 per cent of consumers to make the switch in the first year," he said.

Likewise, Ms Geraldine Tan, general manager of PacificLight Energy, said: "We believe that consumers may feel overwhelmed in the beginning, with 14 retailers' offers and so many price plans to choose from."

Mr Low Boon Tong, executive vice-president of retail at Seraya Energy, said that in the long run, it "definitely makes more sense" for consumers to switch because they will end up saving more.

Seraya Energy has launched a new brand, Geneco, which will serve the electricity needs of households while Seraya continues to serve businesses.

Dr Sanjay Kuttan, programme director at Nanyang Technological University's Energy Research Institute, said there are too many retailers and the number is likely to shrink over time after a period of consolidation.

consumers are the biggest winners in this situation and their only "headache" would be to discern which is a better retailer for their needs.

"As a consumer, you are guaranteed no supply disruption because that is not in the retailers' hands. It is guaranteed by the power system, which will stay secure," he said.

The EMA spokesman said consumers can compare the price plans by visiting http://compare.openelectricitymarket.sg. An information booklet will also be sent to eligible consumers from today.

EMA is also holding an Open Electricity Market roadshow with all 14 retailers on April 21 and 22 at Westgate mall in Jurong.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

a lot of retailers means, s'pore power has been making tons of money.

and electricity is a very lucrative market.

• Praise 1

Will it be cheaper?

*Think of Singtel, M1 and Starhub.  <_<

How electricity is being generated and from where didn't change. It is just the way it is being marketed that changed. So, the answer is very simple and straightforward, we have been overcharged all these years [sweatdrop]

Good to hear they are getting more agents to compete but I hope we don't get nonsense and add layers to profit from a simple generation of electricity to retailing them to users. I don't need cool names and gimmicks.

The stupid if I may call, idea of 100% solar power, should not be added to this equation. Please don't confuse layman consumers with all these marketing nonsense. Keep it for those corporate clients to score their CSR. [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Let me shed some light ... there are only 4-5 energy producers in the Singapore market e.g. Tuas Power, Senoko etc and the rest are all middlemen reselling the energy produced. Do you think the middlemen can provide you with better deals? They have to earn the money to sustain their business. That's why the traditional power generators will likely win. Can you imagine if the middlemen's supply is squeezed and they are forced to sell at a higher price? I suspect their prices will fluctuate quite a bit if they cannot source a stable supply.   

IMHO

↡ Advertisement