Foldable bicycle

Sgspurs

Thinking of getting a Decathlon foldable $360 as below. Are these reliable?

So far had 2 kids size bicycles from Decathlon and found them reliable and good value for money.

- Leisure cycle with 6 year old boy (20 inch child size mtb from Decathlon) mainly park connectors, ecp, etc.

- Weight not a concern, cos will not be carrying it around.

- Fold to put inside car, don't want to mount outside car.

https://www.decathlon.sg/p/tilt-500-20in-7sp-folding-bike-yellow-btwin-8526822.html

1200x1200?format=auto

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Columbian78 said:

So far had 2 kids size bicycles from Decathlon and found them reliable and good value for money.

- Leisure cycle with 6 year old boy (20 inch child size mtb from Decathlon) mainly park connectors, ecp, etc.

https://www.decathlon.sg/p/tilt-500-20in-7sp-folding-bike-yellow-btwin-8526822.html

1200x1200?format=auto

For kids OK, for serious riding no. 

Got a fren who use this to cycle with my grp. He was struggling to keep up even though we only doing less than 40km on avg spd of 18km/h. Fitness wise he should not have problem as he often does 20laps in the pool. 

2 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

1200x1200?format=auto

Actually weight is a concern lah. If too heavy, riding it will be tough, especially upslope. If too heavy, need extra effort to get up to speed. 

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, Yeshe said:

For kids OK, for serious riding no. 

Got a fren who use this to cycle with my grp. He was struggling to keep up even though we only doing less than 40km on avg spd of 18km/h. Fitness wise he should not have problem as he often does 20laps in the pool. 

Yah, not going to cycle much, just need to have a convenient bike to go with kid. I was running with him cycling but recently he upsized his bike so I really need a vehicle now.

• Haha! 6

6 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Actually weight is a concern lah. If too heavy, riding it will be tough, especially upslope. If too heavy, need extra effort to get up to speed. 

I understand what you mean. Its like the cyclist is the propulsion and then you get a heavier car body. The same 1.6L engine in a 1000kg car performs differently in a 1500kg car.

The Decathlon bike is around 13kg which is similar or lighter than other bikes I had experienced before. And I am not going to cycle seriously with it, thats why I said weight is not a concern. There is a XS version with similar price that is 9kg but only has 14inch wheels and single speed. Are there any foldable bikes to recommend below $500 that is light?

9 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

I understand what you mean. Its like the cyclist is the propulsion and then you get a heavier car body. The same 1.6L engine in a 1000kg car performs differently in a 1500kg car.

The Decathlon bike is around 13kg which is similar or lighter than other bikes I had experienced before. And I am not going to cycle seriously with it, thats why I said weight is not a concern. There is a XS version with similar price that is 9kg but only has 14inch wheels and single speed. Are there any foldable bikes to recommend below $500 that is light?

For similar size, 20inch wheel, my Crius Velocity weighs only 10kg. It cost me $550 when I bought it in 2019. I have also a 20inch wheel, Hachiko from Qoo10 which weighs 13kg and cost $350. It was so difficult to cycle. Both bikes of similar look and gearing. But cycling both, it’s a world of difference.

If you want, I can sell you the Hachiko for $100. Rode it less than 5 times and kept in a corner. You can come and try both bikes then you will know what I meant. Not selling the Crius thou.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

43 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

For similar size, 20inch wheel, my Crius Velocity weighs only 10kg. It cost me $550 when I bought it in 2019. I have also a 20inch wheel, Hachiko from Qoo10 which weighs 13kg and cost $350. It was so difficult to cycle. Both bikes of similar look and gearing. But cycling both, it’s a world of difference.

If you want, I can sell you the Hachiko for $100. Rode it less than 5 times and kept in a corner. You can come and try both bikes then you will know what I meant. Not selling the Crius thou.

But what if he want the Crius leh? 😁

My friend bought a Crius for $850 recently.

@Columbian78 For $100, should get the Hachiko man.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

28 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Then he will have to get his own Crius. :XD:

This is how the Hachiko bike look like, same white colour.

hachiko_ha02_foldable_bicycle_1568535621

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, Adrianli said:

$100 is a good deal, much cheaper than Decathalon one.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

I really regret not getting the CV back in early 2020...even when it creeped to 650 by mid year...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

This colour my wife will like very much...but I won't like the washing part...😅

7 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Thanks. Your advice made me seriously reconsider my budget. Will pm you.

When the bike too heavy, it will be a hassle to bring it from home to car.

After a while, just give up riding.

I went to Decathlon yesterday. Saw the bike.

Lift it up. It is damn heavy.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

When the bike too heavy, it will be a hassle to bring it from home to car.

After a while, just give up riding.

I went to Decathlon yesterday. Saw the bike.

Lift it up. It is damn heavy.

Dun need to bring to car, just cycle to the destination :D

• Haha! 3

Installed Singapore local carbon fibre custom wheelset from Wheel Angel; very excellennt experience from ordering, selection and delivery just queing time was 4 weeks plus 5 days downtime at their workshop. 

Now my 6 years old brompton felt refreshed. 

Rear BWR.jpg

Front Phil.jpg

• Praise 2

Need some advices from the experienced cyclist here. 

I have been riding a bifold Dahon Curve D3 (16") with 3 speed sturmey archer for some time now.   Normally, I will just fold and place it flat in my car trunk, with the rear derailleur chain side facing up.

Now I'm seriously thinking to get a replacement foldie.    As I'm reluctant to get an external bike rack (too troublesome to install and remove), with the main criteria of placing in the boot, would you think getting a

1. trifold type - pike/3sixty type with 6 speed sturmey archer OR

2. bifold type - Sava/Crius type with 9 speed external gearing

would be more suited for the above placement criteria.   

Kum Sia (thank you) for sharing !

↡ Advertisement