CAN YOU SPEAK CHINESE?

JJ_JJ

<<Story>>

I notice that most retail outlets and small eateries are filled with foreign customer service (Pinoys, China...especially).

I was at Turf City a couple of days back and was hunting for the Steamboat Restuarant. Maybe they had relocated and I was searching in vain.

Went into Giant Supermarket and was trying to ask for confirmation about the "Missing" Hotpot. Encountered this chinese lady customer service who was playing her handphone while standing at one location of the mart:-

Me :- Can you please tell me if the Steamboat Restuarant is still around? (In english)

She :- Can you speak chinese? (In mandarin)

Me:- No, I dont know chinese. (In mandarin)

Apparently, she is one china chineses foreign talents in SG.

It left me thinking, instead of apologising for not able to understand our common language, she could just blatantly "demand" others to speak "her" language. WTF customer service is that?

FRUIT FOR THOUGHTS:_ Why not GIANT employ our local aunties and uncles ? I dont mind speaking hokkien, teochew, cantonese to them when seeking their service; as compared to being asked to speak chinese by all these #!%*!$%*%#!^

Thanks for viewing and comments.

↡ Advertisement

Problem lies with the company (Giant). What sort of stupid f--k company employs someone who can't speak PASSABLE (not fluent) english for bloody CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Morons.

<<Story>>

I notice that most retail outlets and small eateries are filled with foreign customer service (Pinoys, China...especially).

I was at Turf City a couple of days back and was hunting for the Steamboat Restuarant. Maybe they had relocated and I was searching in vain.

Went into Giant Supermarket and was trying to ask for confirmation about the "Missing" Hotpot. Encountered this chinese lady customer service who was playing her handphone while standing at one location of the mart:-

Me :- Can you please tell me if the Steamboat Restuarant is still around? (In english)

It left me thinking, instead of apologising for not able to understand our common language, she could just blatantly "demand" others to speak "her" language. WTF customer service is that?

FRUIT FOR THOUGHTS:_ Why not GIANT employ our local aunties and uncles ? I dont mind speaking hokkien, teochew, cantonese to them when seeking their service; as compared to being asked to speak chinese by all these #!%*!$%*%#!^

well... u can always dun go buy things at Giant if you dun like it...

<<Story>>

We already been through the same topic everytime....

so to go on and on doesnt help...

views and comments will always be the same...

ya lor

want the grocery to be cheap.. service to be good... and want the customer service to be multi lingual and can offer special... LOL

ya lor

want the grocery to be cheap.. service to be good... and want the customer service to be multi lingual and can offer special... LOL

Your superficial comments would just make a mockery of yourself.

Read the passage again and please use the good soul to think and command your brain to given constructive comments.

Turbocharged

Fruit for thought: Why can't you speak mandarin? Or you rather chose not to speak mandarin for whatever reasons? Did you finally get what you were asking for? :huh:

Your constructive comments over and over again may just be an important push factor for good changes to this deterioting society.

Your superficial comments would just make a mockery of yourself.

Read the passage again and please use the good soul to think and command your brain to given constructive comments.

constructive comments are meant for constructive threads...

那你现在跟我讲的是什么话??

<<Story>>

Turbocharged

<<Story>>

Actually I don't quite understand the problem.

If you can speak mandarin, then just speak to her la. Why want to be so angst over her request to speak mandarin? If she is a local Sporean and she ask you to speak mandarin, will you have reacted this way?

Foreigners, whether we like it or not, is going to be part of our society. Learn to accept it rather than making a fuss over a matter like this.

giants are no place for you......you belong to the atas group that goes cold storage. Chinese speaking people like us go grocery shop or giant.

Please give your own statement a DEEP THOUGHT -_-

<<Story>>

Supersonic
(edited)

I guess 2 problems here. Firstly is how come MOM dont enforce that if the FTs applied as service line industry, like customer service or waiter/waitress, they need to pass a basic english entry test before MOM can approve their work pass. And the company who recruiting them should ensure that at least they should know how to speak some basic english.

But from what i observe so far, seems like nobody bothers and they just anyhow hire any FTs to work in service industry. And if customer doesnt know how to speak chinese or dont to speak chinese, it has become their fault for not adapting to these FTs! [:|] I think if you go to a particular country, in some ways you still have to adapt to them, rather than always ask them to adapt to you.

Edited by 13177

Fruit for thought: Why can't you speak mandarin? Or you rather chose not to speak mandarin for whatever reasons? Did you finally get what you were asking for? :huh:

If i not wrong, he reply her in Chinese in one of the conversation, clearly wanna create trouble and bully the PRC.

I guess 2 problems here. Firstly is how come MOM dont enforce that if the FTs applied as service line industry, like customer service or waiter/waitress, they need to pass a basic english entry test before MOM can approve their work pass. And the company who recruiting them should ensure that they know how to speak at least basic english.

But from what i observe so far, seems like nobody bothers and they just anyhow hire any FTs to work in service industry. And if customer doesnt know how to speak chinese, it is like become their fault for not adapting to these FTs! [:|]

if they know english, would they still be getting $1000, 12 hours day, 6-day week job?

Just like asking maid to know english for $400? she can be a english teacher at their hometown if they know english!

↡ Advertisement