CAN YOU SPEAK CHINESE?

JJ_JJ

Fruit for thought: Why can't you speak mandarin? Or you rather chose not to speak mandarin for whatever reasons? Did you finally get what you were asking for? :huh:

I can speak mandarin for sure. However, the images of uncles and aunties who can only speak dialects and who are working as stall helpers in our neighbourhood coffeeshop crossed my thoughts instantly when I was posed that qn "Can you speak chinese?"

Why cant we have these local aunties and uncles to serve us in dialects rather?

Why cant we give these better and more conducive and likely higher paid and simple jobs to our local aunties and uncles?

I didnt get i want there and then. The hotpot operator had already relocated.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I guess 2 problems here. Firstly is how come MOM dont enforce that if the FTs applied as service line industry, like customer service or waiter/waitress, they need to pass a basic english entry test before MOM can approve their work pass. And the company who recruiting them should ensure that they know how to speak at least basic english.

But from what i observe so far, seems like nobody bothers and they just anyhow hire any FTs to work in service industry. And if customer doesnt know how to speak chinese, it is like become their fault for not adapting to these FTs! [:|]

Funny thing is, I have been hearing our own Chinese locals complaining that these FTs only speak Chinese.

I have never hear it from my Malays or Indians friends. I thought it is them who should be more irritated.

Turbocharged

Me:- No, I dont know chinese. (In mandarin)

Heh heh... from what you said, she already know you're just sticking to your principles [laugh]

Take it lightly lah, bro. They are more comfortable in mandarin, and seeing that you know mandarin, they'll try.

Don't be so stressed over it. Actually it's to their (PRC people) benefit if they try to speak english and learn the language, since they have the opportunity here in singapore, in order to get better and more varied jobs. If they insist on sticking to their own little mandarin-speaking world, then so be it. It's their loss.

if they know english, would they still be getting $1000, 12 hours day, 6-day week job?

Just like asking maid to know english for $400? she can be a english teacher at their hometown if they know english!

Why not give this $1000 to our aunties and uncles who are likely to be getting only $800-$900 as stall helpers?

Funny thing is, I have been hearing our own Chinese locals complaining that these FTs only speak Chinese.

I have never hear it from my Malays or Indians friends. I thought it is them who should be more irritated.

this is obvious...

the CSO is from china... she is trying to be more approachable by speaking the same tongue...

if a French man came to the counter, and she said Bonjour... i am sure the french gentleman wont come here to complain... how come she speak french to me... in fact he will be delighted...

Heh heh... from what you said, she already know you're just sticking to your principles [laugh]

Take it lightly lah, bro. They are more comfortable in mandarin, and seeing that you know mandarin, they'll try.

Don't be so stressed over it. Actually it's to their (PRC people) benefit if they try to speak english and learn the language, since they have the opportunity here in singapore, in order to get better and more varied jobs. If they insist on sticking to their own little mandarin-speaking world, then so be it. It's their loss.

Thanks for your input. I have no prejudice against China people at first. Afterall, most of us local chinese have our root in China (Am I not right?)

However, I have realised that I would definitely take my stand against the China Chineses if they will to f--k around in the country I was born in.

In this case, my proposition is clear; I would prefer to speak in dialects to our local aunties and uncles rather than being asked to speak in mandarin to a china chinese.

Why not give this $1000 to our aunties and uncles who are likely to be getting only $800-$900 as stall helpers?

please give more thought to this if you have no ground experience in dealing with the industry. Many of these companies already hiring local uncle and aunties, if they are slow and cannot handle the POS machine, they will be assigned to the store room/warehouse or as promoter.

But if they completely have no skill at all, how would you want the company to employ them? stand there for show and act pathetic <_<

I bet my last $$ that you will come in to complaint that the aunties took 20 min to complete one transaction <_<

Supersonic

if they know english, would they still be getting $1000, 12 hours day, 6-day week job?

Just like asking maid to know english for $400? she can be a english teacher at their hometown if they know english!

Know basic english, not expert english lo. Afterall english is a common language in s'pore. Esp if your job requires you to interact with customers. Unless the person is working as clerk in the office, or operator in a factory, doesnt really matters whether he/she knows english or not.

please give more thought to this if you have no ground experience in dealing with the industry. Many of these companies already hiring local uncle and aunties, if they are slow and cannot handle the POS machine, they will be assigned to the store room/warehouse or as promoter.

But if they completely have no skill at all, how would you want the company to employ them? stand there for show and act pathetic <_<

I bet my last $ that you will come in to complaint that the aunties took 20 min to complete one transaction <_<

for me, i ever kena...ask for kopi Gao...she tok chinese, i look at her like she was some alien....and STARE.......she got msg and call supervisor...and i said lim la [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Know basic english, not expert english lo. Afterall english is a common language in s'pore. Esp if your job requires you to interact with customers. Unless the person is working as clerk in the office, or operator in a factory, doesnt really matters whether he/she knows english or not.

some singaporeans need to hv brain surgery... they need to remove a certain part of their brain telling them that Customer Service Officers owed them a living.... they need to know that they are the ones who needs assistance from the CSO....

if any of u guys hv frens in customer service... go ask them... who are the worst customers... i bet it will be us...

TS, the prc is employed by GIANT to serve Giant customer - for eg : customer asking where to find specific giant merchandise - or replenish stocks , or do cashier duties. This PRC in question is not Information Counter staff of Turf City!!! She is not obliged to answer your question in English....

this is obvious...

the CSO is from china... she is trying to be more approachable by speaking the same tongue...

if a French man came to the counter, and she said Bonjour... i am sure the french gentleman wont come here to complain... how come she speak french to me... in fact he will be delighted...

Craps

Craps

ok to be fair, you have a point too, and others too. Let's amicably AGRee to disagree lah..no end...

TS, the prc is employed by GIANT to serve Giant customer - for eg : customer asking where to find specific giant merchandise - or replenish stocks , or do cashier duties. This PRC in question is not Information Counter staff of Turf City!!! She is not obliged to answer your question in English....

even if this is the customer service for turf city... she is also not obliged to answer in english unless their SOP is as such...

i cant speak cantonese.. do i hv to post here when i go eat dimsum and the dimsum lady speak to me in cantonese??????

I can speak mandarin for sure. However, the images of uncles and aunties who can only speak dialects and who are working as stall helpers in our neighbourhood coffeeshop crossed my thoughts instantly when I was posed that qn "Can you speak chinese?"

Why cant we have these local aunties and uncles to serve us in dialects rather?

Why cant we give these better and more conducive and likely higher paid and simple jobs to our local aunties and uncles?

I didnt get i want there and then. The hotpot operator had already relocated.

Maybe u can try to ask ur aunties or uncles if they wanna work there?

And please,these pple are consider FW not FTs <_<

giants are no place for you......you belong to the atas group that goes cold storage. Chinese speaking people like us go grocery shop or giant.

[laugh][laugh] good one.

ok to be fair, you have a point too, and others too. Let's amicably AGRee to disagree lah..no end...

since mod has spoken.. i m out...

giants are no place for you......you belong to the atas group that goes cold storage. Chinese speaking people like us go grocery shop or giant.

u look down on me ah...i go SHENG SIONG [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement