Mother of ALL JAMs in at Checkpoint

PaiKia-Lee

Weekend one hr can clear both custom, lim pay tok sat ah! [knife] muayhahaha!

I didnt say 1 hour clear both custom lo. Maybe 1 hour not even near the custom. Lol.
↡ Advertisement

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/travellers-endure-long-waits-at-tuas-and-woodlands-checkpoints-over-the-weekend

Long waits at Tuas and Woodlands Checkpoints, with some delays hitting 8 hours

Heng, never go. My wife pester me to go on Saturday. I told her ppl there having Haji holiday, coming back will be a problem.

Then I heard this morning class95 someone feedback he was stuck for 13hrs coming back. [dead]

My colleague left JB on Monday early morning at 2am but cleared custom at 11.30am. Total 9.5hrs!
  • Praise 3

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/travellers-endure-long-waits-at-tuas-and-woodlands-checkpoints-over-the-weekend

Long waits at Tuas and Woodlands Checkpoints, with some delays hitting 8 hours

Heng, never go. My wife pester me to go on Saturday. I told her ppl there having Haji holiday, coming back will be a problem.

Then I heard this morning class95 someone feedback he was stuck for 13hrs coming back. [dead]

I believe few days back the record is broken with up to 13 hrs jam, look at last year article 8 hrs.

Whatever the measures, we can see this thread started in 2012. After 7 years things actually go downhill with new records set every long weekend. Seriously, if both sides' MHA ministers and ICA chiefs don't know how to resolve this, amid claims of good bilateral relations, then it needs new heads.

I think is more and more Singaporeans drive car to jb. So more cars go in = longer jam.

Edited by Yewheng

spore got 600k cars, assuming 60k cars cheong msia

count how many counters ... msia said open 36 counters?

each counter take torpedo speed of 3mins to clear 1 car

how many hours? [sweatdrop]

Edited by Wt_know

13hrs?

Wow, some people make $10k in 13hrs

quite a number stuck from 10hrs to 13hrs during the most peak timing over the long weekend

• Praise 1

this thread too depressing. :XD:

I no depressed.

No drive into Boleh for at least 8yrs. Just don't want t waste my time in the jammed and donate my money to their police.

Only june no choice need to drive in to attend friend wedding in Malacca.

• Praise 1

As long there is a large disparity in the currency and consumer price index between Singapore and Malaysia there will always be queues at both links, and the reason is because if somehow all booths were open and capacity doubled, resulting in shorter wait times, yet more people will find it justifiable to go queue up - especially during low-opportunity cost periods like weekends or public holidays. 

Until tolls start costing S$100 or more per crossing, effectively negating the cheap fuel and/or goods and services, or the RM$ finds a way to appreciate against the S$, I don't see queue times improving with even doubled infrastructure, you'd just end up getting more people attempting to get through - back to square one. 

So don't kid yourself that somehow opening all booths is a solution because the crowds will keep coming - to Singapore to earn money, and to Malaysia to spend money. 

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

As long there is a large disparity in the currency and consumer price index between Singapore and Malaysia there will always be queues at both links, and the reason is because if somehow all booths were open and capacity doubled, resulting in shorter wait times, yet more people will find it justifiable to go queue up - especially during low-opportunity cost periods like weekends or public holidays. 

Until tolls start costing S$100 or more per crossing, effectively negating the cheap fuel and/or goods and services, or the RM$ finds a way to appreciate against the S$, I don't see queue times improving with even doubled infrastructure, you'd just end up getting more people attempting to get through - back to square one. 

So don't kid yourself that somehow opening all booths is a solution because the crowds will keep coming - to Singapore to earn money, and to Malaysia to spend money. 

it can be solved. All it needs is for both SG and MY leaders to acknowledge an 8 hours immigration jam...heck, even a 2 hours one,  is a problem, not a new normal.

Then put the right man for the job (no, not  an ex-general) , until the solution is found.

• Praise 2

precisely ... singapore is no longer 3M population

we are at 5.6M now and reaching 6M very soon ...

the capacity for the 2 links are way way under capacity

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

precisely ... singapore is no longer 3M population

we are at 5.6M now and reaching 6M very soon ...

the capacity for the 2 links are way way under capacity

That's why madhatter said must have 3rd link.

Probably the issue is daily average can be cope with just these 2 links. There is no cost justification to build 3rd link just to cope with out of norm crowd which happen once in a while.

I suspect SG govt is aware of this but probably asking, why they should cooperate with Msia to allow more to come in and more of its citizen to spend elsewhere? If crossing immigration becomes freeway style, the worst could be more citizens will move across to live which by bigger countries standard, 1-2hr commute time to/back from work is norm.

Those who still want to cheong across, they will have to squeeze through the bottleneck. 

Also in this era, why aren't technology helping commuter to plan their journey better? These malaysian cams are terrible unstable. And they are not enough coverage thus many probably ill-informed. Even the widely used "beat the bloody jam" apps are not accurate. On NDP eve, if I blindly followed when apps shown 1hr to cross Tuas, I would have face myself with mother of all jam. I cannot imagine not having to sleep through the night and cope with inches movement every few minutes. 

We are still terribly backward in this aspect of smart commute, and smart nation in bigger perspective.

• Praise 4

Human side: Last time got MACS but Malaysia killed it. That’s why human jam longer. U see SG side customs, SG can use automated queue. Malaysian also can use automated queue. Hence faster. U see Malaysia side customs, only Malaysian can use automated queue. That’s why Malaysia side human always jam.

Car side: Not much diff between SG and MY. MY side slightly less booths and no ability to open additional zone like SG side.

Motorcycle side: too long never ride in Liao. But MY side seldom see Malaysia bike show passport one. So usually jam is at SG side.

This is probably the last window for people to drive in before VEP kicks in.

Probably the issue is daily average can be cope with just these 2 links. There is no cost justification to build 3rd link just to cope with out of norm crowd which happen once in a while.

I suspect SG govt is aware of this but probably asking, why they should cooperate with Msia to allow more to come in and more of its citizen to spend elsewhere? If crossing immigration becomes freeway style, the worst could be more citizens will move across to live which by bigger countries standard, 1-2hr commute time to/back from work is norm.

Those who still want to cheong across, they will have to squeeze through the bottleneck. 

Also in this era, why aren't technology helping commuter to plan their journey better? These malaysian cams are terrible unstable. And they are not enough coverage thus many probably ill-informed. Even the widely used "beat the bloody jam" apps are not accurate. On NDP eve, if I blindly followed when apps shown 1hr to cross Tuas, I would have face myself with mother of all jam. I cannot imagine not having to sleep through the night and cope with inches movement every few minutes. 

We are still terribly backward in this aspect of smart commute, and smart nation in bigger perspective.

Come on guys, our SG government where got so stupid, they purposely maintain the status quo.

Me n my msia colleagues all think so too, the jam is beneficial to the SG government, why shld they care.

Imagine if crossing the border is so smooth n fuss free, which johor msian worker will continue to stay rent places n eat/shop in SG while SG citizens might choose to live over there n commute to work daily for the sizable savings they reap if do so, these all have a huge impact to our economy.

I'm very confident the jam will last till we lost the currency advantage n become a lesser nation to Msia.

My advice for beating the jam, at minimum level, leave early 1 day at 530am n return later 1 day before 1pm.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Come on guys, our SG government where got so stupid, they purposely maintain the status quo.

Me n my msia colleagues all think so too, the jam is beneficial to the SG government, why shld they care.

Imagine if crossing the border is so smooth n fuss free, which johor msian worker will continue to stay rent places n eat/shop in SG while SG citizens might choose to live over there n commute to work daily for the sizable savings they reap if do so, these all have a huge impact to our economy.

I'm very confident the jam will last till we lost the currency advantage n become a lesser nation to Msia.

My advice for beating the jam, at minimum level, leave early 1 day at 530am n return later 1 day before 1pm.

That's the problem. If govt doesn't want people to spend outside sg, be frank with the citizens. Discouraging it through indirect means while saying they doing their best but inconveniencing motorists is really just an arsehole trick. Want to do it, do it 100%. Solve it properly, not half-baked approach. Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I dont rely on cams .

WAZE is the most reliable source of info .

Not only traffic congestions , they also tell you where the POLIS are hiding with their cams , real time .   [thumbsup]

• Praise 6

I dont rely on cams .

WAZE is the most reliable source of info .

Not only traffic congestions , they also tell you where the POLIS are hiding with their cams , real time .   [thumbsup]

WAZE was also not very accurate on the day when the mother father jam happened... However I do agree Waze gives better view of the situation and all the needed information 99 out of 100 times...

↡ Advertisement