Mother of ALL JAMs in at Checkpoint

PaiKia-Lee

I don't understand why a minister can give such remarks. If you have a system and people didn't obey the system, you issue summons. Will there be inconsiderate drivers? If you don't apply your rules, obviously you are inviting motorists to do whatever they want.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/inconsiderate-driving-added-congestion-woodlands-tuas-checkpoints-shanmugam-3194716

12 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I don't understand why a minister can give such remarks. If you have a system and people didn't obey the system, you issue summons. Will there be inconsiderate drivers? If you don't apply your rules, obviously you are inviting motorists to do whatever they want.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/inconsiderate-driving-added-congestion-woodlands-tuas-checkpoints-shanmugam-3194716

"In a written reply, Mr Shanmugam said ICA works closely with the traffic police to ensure orderly traffic flow toward land checkpoints."

He says ICA works with TP.  But still got inconsiderate driver le.

Moreover, some of these drivers could be beyond our border.

Clearly, this is a bad writing on the part of CNA

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/9-in-10-vehicle-clearance-counters-at-land-checkpoints-to-malaysia-manned-in-dec

"He noted that during the year-end period, heavy departing car traffic from Woodlands Checkpoint to Malaysia led to frequent tailbacks at the Causeway, all the way from the Malaysian side to Singapore’s departure car counters. 

Travellers should play their part, such as by heeding advisories that ICA issues periodically on when peak days and peak hours are likely to be, said Mr Shanmugam.

They should avoid travelling during these times if possible, or be patient if they have to travel during such periods, he added.

Mr Shanmugam also said that inconsiderate drivers, such as those attempting to cut the queue or driving in the wrong lanes, added to the congestion."

This para is towards the end of the article

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Actually, Singapore side is very orderly and ICA has been very forceful in f... up queue cutters.  I didn't think it is an issue of inconsiderate drivers.

The fact is demand has exceeded capacity (92% running rate) and with RTS and the Woodlands expansion years away, he is telling motorists to be prepared to jam jam jam.

• Haha! 2

assuming if there is no jam , would the inconsiderate  driviers still cause jam ? Why there is a jam to begin with ? Does not like sgprean to spend money in JB ?

So because of the inconsiderate drivers, nothing will be done to improve the jam ?

I have not been to JB for decades, not a big fan of queuing,just asking innocent questions😀😀

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

the jam is simply capacity issue

how fast can custom to clear 5k 10k 20k or 50k cars in 3-5 hours ???

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

28 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

assuming if there is no jam , would the inconsiderate  driviers still cause jam ? Why there is a jam to begin with ? Does not like sgprean to spend money in JB ?

So because of the inconsiderate drivers, nothing will be done to improve the jam ?

I have not been to JB for decades, not a big fan of queuing,just asking innocent questions😀😀

That was NOT Shan main point.

What he meant could be beyond our border.

Nothing he can do about it 

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

the jam is simply capacity issue

how fast can custom to clear 5k 10k 20k or 50k cars in 3-5 hours ???

Use MACS to clear fast fast

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

So the jams at checkpoints due to some inconsiderate drivers. 

Not the fault of the checkpoint who refused to open up more counters. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Just now, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

CNA 斷章取義la

• Haha! 3

40 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

That was NOT Shan main point.

What he meant could be beyond our border.

Nothing he can do about it 

Tailback traffic from MY side usually happens during weekends of school holidays and should not be used as the reference point.

ICA/LTA are clearly behind the curve in terms of capacity based on time needed to clear SG immigration during weekdays peak hours (into SG in the morning and out of SG in the evening).

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2

36 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Didn't Shan mentioned 92% of counters were manned? 

You might not agree but 92% is full capacity to me.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Didn't Shan mentioned 92% of counters were manned? 

You might not agree but 92% is full capacity to me.

No way 92%... I recall when I went via 2nd link to MY in early Dec in early morning. Started queuing around 650am, eventually waited around 1+ hour, no queue at MY side.

3 veh blocks:

1 seems under reno

1 closed for unknown purpose

1 last block open, not all counters are manned

24 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

No way 92%... I recall when I went via 2nd link to MY in early Dec in early morning. Started queuing around 650am, eventually waited around 1+ hour, no queue at MY side.

3 veh blocks:

1 seems under reno

1 closed for unknown purpose

1 last block open, not all counters are manned

They often open the lorry lanes for passenger cars during peak hours (that should count as above 100% and pulled up the average).

Again, don't count school holidays lah when everyone in Singapore is going to MY for social/ leisure activities.