How often should I really change my motor oil?

Yeobh

7000Km liao................my 5w20 still going good...........see how after 10000km........ [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Good to hear that, early next mth we have a batch of Castrol Syntec 0w30 coming in, hopefully it's made in Germany aka GC. Just nice, in time for your next oil change. [:)]

Good to hear that, early next mth we have a batch of Castrol Syntec 0w30 coming in, hopefully it's made in Germany aka GC. Just nice, in time for your next oil change. [:)]

ok ..................try next month.......... :D :D

Just to share since someone mention, I don't find my car to have better FC after changing from 40 to 30, I get almost same or lower. Engine noise is also not much difference, currently using 40 again after 30000km.

Groupon have car servicing deal today.

$48 only for Mobil 1 EO and Oil filter. Called the workshop earlier and they said the Mobil1 EO is fully syn and W40. [thumbsup]

Where and how to get it from you?

Where and how to get it from you?

Yah, Castrol just arrived, the Castrol 0w30 version are made in Germany aka GC known in BITOG forum.

I wanted to see if the oil burn is the same for both 30 and 40

momentarily lah bro. how many chia you want to overtake? :D

actually why not go to W30?

Sorry for digging but don't want to create new.

Been 5000km / 3 months since last oil change, this week especially engine feels rough when starting in the morning as well as when picking up to 80km/h. Recall it used to be smoother from 1500rpm to 3000rpm.

Should I consider an oil change before the usual 10000km mark?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

if can get smoother ride by changing oil, i will not hesitate at all.

oil - 4 litre (shell) about S$50

oil filter - S$5-S$20

labour - S$30-S$40

Less than S$100

I remember when I first time use Pennzoil, I change the oil again after 3000km usage. 

Becos engine suddenly feel lost of power.

Maybe it really clean up the dirt inside the engine...and I used back Pennzoil again for the next change and it is lasting.

Edited by Mcf777

Could it be a mechanical problem?

Been 5000km / 3 months since last oil change, this week especially engine feels rough when starting in the morning as well as when picking up to 80km/h. Recall it used to be smoother from 1500rpm to 3000rpm.

Been 5000km / 3 months since last oil change, this week especially engine feels rough when starting in the morning as well as when picking up to 80km/h. Recall it used to be smoother from 1500rpm to 3000rpm.

Could be just a need of a injector cleaning? Try a dose of strong injector cleaner and see if it's better.

Caltex techron?

Could be just a need of a injector cleaning? Try a dose of strong injector cleaner and see if it's better.

Supersonic
(edited)

Engine running rough may not merely be an indication of engine oil life OR the time to change engine oil.

It may be due to more contamination in the combustion chamber, or maybe a microscopic grit stuck in the piston rings, etc.

I've seen a couple of cases where one spark plug gap is slightly smaller than the rest. This cause inbalance and subsequently more pronounced vibration in the engine. Some people mistook this and went to change engine mounts.

Engine oil life is more like the life of its additive. When the additive is used up, that's when you considered changing the engine oil.

I've also heard many people say changing to a new oil, sometimes the engine sounds rougher.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Thanks for all the responses.

@hamburger AD used SHU 5w30

@forte3737 hopefully not, or at least I can't tell if there is yet, below 40000km mileage. The month of Apr was full of morning jams though hmm.

@trex101 there was a recent mcf event (thank you once again) and I got my hands on a bottle of Liquimoly Fuel Injection Cleaner. The 5 days that followed, pick-up was super smooth. If I recalled correctly bottle indicated effects good for 2000km.

Just pumped full tank Caltex 95 last evening as well.

This evening will attempt gentler acceleration instead, might not be a good idea to always pedal to metal for a MIT BNB Japanese ride.

↡ Advertisement