Private nursing home recommendations

Littleknown

Hypersonic

Better keep some money to check ourselves in when the time comes. Cannot rely on our children. [laugh] 

↡ Advertisement

Better keep some money to check ourselves in when the time comes. Cannot rely on our children. [laugh] 

Why have them in the first place?

That's what my wife always tells me :lll._.:

Hypersonic

Why have them in the first place?

That's what my wife always tells me :lll._.:

Haha let me ask my children...  But seriously, having them is unconditional. Good if they take care of us. If not, then we prepare ourselves.   

• Praise 1

Bro, it's a fact that most people are having a longer life but how many of those are having better QUALITY of life?

People around their 40s or even 30s these days will have some form of health issues, how many will not need medical needs in their retirement days.

So any committee that is looking at old age support should take that into serious consideration when it comes to estimation of cost.

your statement quite contradicting, anyway people nowadays also quite health conscious compare the the older folk, just look at our exercise threads   [laugh]

keeping a healthy lifestyle will go a long way and less strain on financially be it ours or our child, with financially planning that help to reduce the burden.The demand for nursing home/ old folk home will definitely increase due to the aging population. I believe there is a committee looking into this problem but the main issue is still on the shortage of manpower in this profession.

Actually I like the concept of independent living with some assisted needs. Been to a similar concept like the one from AWWA at AMK.

https://www.awwa.org.sg/our-services/health-senior-care/senior-community-home/

However I dont like the layout of the flats used. It was those one room flat with a very dark corridor. They have a central kitchen to collect ur food and either eat in your own unit or eat in the common area. I am not sure of the cost of living, I was there for voluntary work only. These was what I observed.

Turbocharged

your statement quite contradicting, anyway people nowadays also quite health conscious compare the the older folk, just look at our exercise threads   [laugh]

keeping a healthy lifestyle will go a long way and less strain on financially be it ours or our child, with financially planning that help to reduce the burden.The demand for nursing home/ old folk home will definitely increase due to the aging population. I believe there is a committee looking into this problem but the main issue is still on the shortage of manpower in this profession.

another secret committee?

Problem is quality of life is not measured and it's hard to measure.

I read a recent article on the danger of obesity in Singapore. Although people have been exercising more, the increase in what they eat more than offset the time put into exercising. In other words, nett after exercise is still getting fatter [laugh] , how can that be healthier?

Add on to the fact that food these days are not as organic as what they used to be during our parents time, the health issue will only spiral out of hand. That's the reason why the ministry is so concern about obesity in Singapore.

I've been exercising since young, thru NS and into middle age now (never under or over weight all my life). I have problems with joint and muscle pains, although not life threatening, it reduces the quality of life. My colleagues in their middle age will have some form of long term pain/ache and that's medical bill.

Man, maybe I should consider switching to the healthcare sector :yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Praise 3

Twincharged

This is a big worry I agree but the biggest worry is that most young people these days never plan a budget for their parents.

They have a budget for a big home, cars, holidays but never their parents. Since you have experience from taking care of your dad, you better plan for yourself, don't expect your kids to take care of you.

Maybe our generation will be the last to even have a budget for parents :a-bang:

actually my experience came from my first hospitalization ... 3 days = $3k !!

after that I searched and bought some policies for myself and my father. The insurance coy rejected my mother.

but that was stupid move by the ins ... coz my mom only went to hospital twice in these 20 years and amt was small.

my dad on the other hand had made used of the policy almost every year for the 5 years. pay about $2k pemiums ... but ins paid almost 50k in bills already.

as for myself, I am fully covered ... and so are my dependents.

like everyone says, you can die in SG but don't fall sick.

actually my experience came from my first hospitalization ... 3 days = $3k !!

after that I searched and bought some policies for myself and my father. The insurance coy rejected my mother.

but that was stupid move by the ins ... coz my mom only went to hospital twice in these 20 years and amt was small.

my dad on the other hand had made used of the policy almost every year for the 5 years. pay about $2k pemiums ... but ins paid almost 50k in bills already.

as for myself, I am fully covered ... and so are my dependents.

like everyone says, you can die in SG but don't fall sick.

Hey bro, you don't seem like early 20s leh [lipsrsealed] . Most of those young people are in that age group and I have plenty of them in my ex-company.

Supercharged

Yup, thatz why we got a helper and it cost just 50% of that.

But when helper go home, we place my mum in the nursing home. No choice. Lucky both my bro and i share the cost. If one person only, I think will be struggling.

Engaging a helper for your mother was the best a child can do.

And if your helper planning on home leave which you should know in advance, I suggest you register early for respite care. Do not behave like those people who can plan way ahead for their own holiday and last minute scramble for a respite care. Regardless private or subsidised, respite care booking is not like booking a hotel room.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Hey bro, you don't seem like early 20s leh [lipsrsealed] . Most of those young people are in that age group and I have plenty of them in my ex-company.

no lah ... what I meant to was that I have been paying for my dad's policy for almost 20 years already ... I already got my SAF Hamilton watch a few years back ...

anyway, this aside, anyone got experience with those hourly home care services ?

need some help with the hygiene care part for the time being until we work out the nursing home thingy ....

no lah ... what I meant to was that I have been paying for my dad's policy for almost 20 years already ... I already got my SAF Hamilton watch a few years back ...

anyway, this aside, anyone got experience with those hourly home care services ?

need some help with the hygiene care part for the time being until we work out the nursing home thingy ....

Not sure what is required.

But we are using Home Nursing Foundation.

http://www.hnf.org.sg/services/home-nursing-care

Can check with your social worker.

Not sure what is required.

But we are using Home Nursing Foundation.

http://www.hnf.org.sg/services/home-nursing-care

Can check with your social worker.

I google and found this too :http://ntuchealth.sg/home-care-services/

i had googled and read those results also .... but wanted to hear any real life feedback.

The nurse from Nursing Home Foundation stays at the next block from ours. So she planned my mum's visit as her last stop for the day. Thus she always visits my mum at ard 4 to 5pm.

The nurse check the standard stuff, bp, pulse and change of feeding tube. Pretty much standard checks. She told us not to call her in case of emergency even thou she stay next blk. Have to call our own private preferred doctor.

Nothing fancy. In fact, for changing of feeding tube, Nursing Home Foundation charges are higher than MW Medical. Thatz why I prefer MW Medical whenever my mum pulls out her own feeding tube. We are paying full rate to both organisations.

• Praise 4

Twincharged

The nurse from Nursing Home Foundation stays at the next block from ours. So she planned my mum's visit as her last stop for the day. Thus she always visits my mum at ard 4 to 5pm.

The nurse check the standard stuff, bp, pulse and change of feeding tube. Pretty much standard checks. She told us not to call her in case of emergency even thou she stay next blk. Have to call our own private preferred doctor.

Nothing fancy. In fact, for changing of feeding tube, Nursing Home Foundation charges are higher than MW Medical. Thatz why I prefer MW Medical whenever my mum pulls out her own feeding tube. We are paying full rate to both organisations.

thanks for the explanation ...

i really don't know what my dad wants right now ... but luckily he managed to get warded last night at the hospital again. at least we can now "regroup" and plan what we can do.

he is not eating as he says no appetite as the food tastes "bland" ??  my mom spends hours braising meat for him and he still complains.

all he wants now is to just remain lying in bed for the rest of his time ...  :a-bang:

↡ Advertisement